Dodge Ram 5500 motorhome

adam88

Explorer
My fear is that the tank pad heater wont be able to keep the tank from freezing in -25 weather. I haven't used a holding tank in a camper in the winter so not exactly sure how effective the pad tank heaters are and how effective putting antifreeze into the holding tank is.
We are located in Saskatchewan where today it is 10F so it is a real concern here.....I think.
Ward

No way those water tanks freeze with heater pads + insulation. Insulation is the keyword here I think. Like, wrap the water tanks in insulation (with the heater pad inside). The water tanks will be inside the camper body I assume, and then wrapped in insulation with a heater inside. I would say they would be good up to -40 easily if not higher. I think you'll be fine.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Java, I may do the diverter under the sink either way. I reached out to ITB about it but haven't heard back. It's not like that isn't something I can change myself after delivery.

Adam, the fresh water tank is under the bed and it has a dedicated heat loop so no fear there. They grey tank is outside the thermal envelop of the camper hanging down in front of the drivers side rear tire. I think we should be OK but like everything I have gone over everything (I think) that needs attention. ITB makes all sorts of cold weather units and I have reached out to them but as yet haven't heard back.
Ward

adam88

Explorer
Java, I may do the diverter under the sink either way. I reached out to ITB about it but haven't heard back. It's not like that isn't something I can change myself after delivery.

Adam, the fresh water tank is under the bed and it has a dedicated heat loop so no fear there. They grey tank is outside the thermal envelop of the camper hanging down in front of the drivers side rear tire. I think we should be OK but like everything I have gone over everything (I think) that needs attention. ITB makes all sorts of cold weather units and I have reached out to them but as yet haven't heard back.
Ward

Ah I see. Yes, yes... If the grey tank it outside of the camper's main heated area then it poses a problem for sure. I am not sure if ultraheat + insulation wrap would be enough, but it probably would, especially if you doubled the number of pads. The other issue is the amount of electricity required. Even though I'm sure you'll have an astronomically large battery bank and solar, excess drain is still not ideal. It's too bad that they can't keep all tanks within the camper. I know they are probably relying on gravity to feed the grey tank (which is why they put it low down), but you can get a pump for your shower drain which will pump the grey water anywhere. That's what I plan to use. Whale makes them called "Gulper" (http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|2234226|2234234&id=1777934). I suppose it's a balance of keeping weight down low too though. I think not being able to fully use the plumbing when in cold weather isn't really a solution (e.g., using a pan in the sink).

Healeyjet

Explorer
Just received a reply from ITB. Seems they have it handled.

"We will run a 3/4" copper line under the grey water tank, this will be foamed over with a
minimum of 4" of insulation. This way when the Oasis is running (winter time) you will have 120°F boiler fluid running under the tank. This
will be more then sufficient to keep the tank from freezing no matter how cold it gets. In the summer when the 3-way valve is closed the
fluid will bypass all the heat exchangers as well as the grey water tank and it will not boil."

Should now be good to go for our winter camping!
Ward

Maninga

Adventurer
Hmmmm.... That sounds like a good way to solve the freezing problem without an internal heating coil.

Can't remember if I've seen it, how big are you making the water tanks?

Roc8man

Beyond amazing

I joined this forum over 4 years ago and get on it occasionally but I have never had a need to post anything until I read through all 28 pages. I am in awe. This is the most amazing build I have seen. The quality of workmanship is beyond what I have seen and the attention to detail is crazy. If you are ever in the Denver area, please let me know as I would be honored to see your Intercontinental Cruiser in person. Now when I hear the words "to infinity and beyond" your rig will come to mind...

Congrats on doing what only most of us dream about.

David

Healeyjet

Explorer
Thanks David! We are about a month away from driving it so we are getting very anxious now. We will definitely be in Denver at some point in the next year and would love to show you around the Cruiser.

A quick update is that all of the doors, drawers, exterior parts and panels are now painted as well and waiting to be re-assembled. ITB removes all of the drawer hardware including slides anfd latches prior to paint. It is then all assembled with the painted parts and wiring etc is completed. Annie and I will be at ITB on Friday so I hope to have a bunch more photos to share.

Thanks again for everyone's interest in following along with us.

Ward

java

Expedition Leader
Wow looks great!

Sounds like your tanks will be toasty. My black tank likes to freeze :)

User113

Adam, the fresh water tank is under the bed and it has a dedicated heat loop so no fear there. They grey tank is outside the thermal envelop of the camper hanging down in front of the drivers side rear tire. I think we should be OK but like everything I have gone over everything (I think) that needs attention.

Does anybody ever put thermometers on or in these tanks? Seems it would be easy to wire some up to monitor.

adam88

Explorer
hey Ward. Those photos of all the cover pieces give me anxiety! This thread, if nothing else, is a great example of what goes into making one of these! I'd say that given the crash of the CDN dollar during your built process (and the fact you paid in CDN dollars), and the amount of work going into this, you've got yourself one heck of a deal. These guys are pros!

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Any word yet on the fender flares?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier