Dodge Ram 5500 motorhome

Healeyjet

Explorer
Thanks guys!

Freebird, input is always appreciated!! The two windows in the rear bedroom area open. I just have to check to see if we got "vent" or "egress" on them. If not, a wooden bat stored inside the top drawer of the dresser could serve a bunch of purposes, LOL.

I am 6'4", 270 lbs and somewhat claustrophobic so for me to slither through a small opening I am just not sure it would happen.:Wow1:

I am hoping that if there is a fire we will go out through the windows. As well, the front door inside handle is a Kason glow in the dark panic push knob like on the inside of a walk in freezer door.

While I have your input, what would you suggest for fire extinguishers and where?

Ward

java

Expedition Leader
Id look at Halon or other 'clean' fire extinguishers. The standard powder ones are very corrosive, and the dust will get EVERYWHERE.

You want them to be easily reachable, not buried where you cant get them in an emergency. I have one right at the entry door on my rig, its not really in the way down by the step in, and is in reasonable reach. For you, id say one in the bedroom, one in the kitchen/living area?

Freebird

Adventurer
^^^^^ is good advice. In the states Halon is difficult to find in any larger size, and is expensive. (Last I knew)
I'd consider a powder ABC at the camper door for quick to grab for outdoor use, or engine fire on another vehicle. Lots cheaper.
On MY inside usage, Halon is cats meow. ABC at/near driver's door for quick acces is good, too.

If you wake up to anything fire wise that is serious, LOWER is far, far, better, but in this day and age of smoke detectors, very unlikely. Have a hard wired one, plus a battery one that you change the battery on your birthday, or Jan first. Yearly. Compulsively.

Btw, to educate those who might not know. In a room with fire or heavy active heated smoke...
A fireman all the way (slither) on the ground that is ok, if he raises to his hands and knees just might not be. Huge difference in temp, just a few inches. If your not in firemans protective gear, those inches REALLY matter.

Last edited:

Healeyjet

Explorer
I checked locally here and they sell a Halon replacement called Halotron.
$200 CDN for a 2.5 lbs extinguisher.
How does Halotron sound?

Agreed on the powder ABC for outside and being a good sam.

Ward

Freebird

Adventurer
Truthfully, 35 years ago when I was FD, Halotron did not exist. It looks good on a Google search, tho. :)

My understanding is the Halon is no longer manufactured. (Old news) What is available now (Halon) has been evacuated from larger commercial systems (rooms, server warehouses) where "clean" was absolutely necessary (electronics, computers, etc). Replacement suppression chemical that is more environmentally friendly went in those systems, and what came out (Halon) can be purchased for a premium in small extinguishers...for a handsome price.
This is all word of mouth down the grapevine a ways, so don't consider it real reliable.
Anyone that has better info, feel free to bring me/us up to speed.

I tend to think at that price I would reserve it for under dash or electronics bay in camper. (Yes, I'm cheap...)

Sometimes I wonder if these chemical companies see their patents running out, and their exclusivity going to go away, and, having developed a replacement they can patent, have the EPA declare the old product an environmental hazard, then go merrily on their (profitable) way.....? More than one product replacement seems to fit that "profit profile"..
Just speculation, of course, but sometime I have a suspicious mind.

thethePete

Explorer
Aluminum isn't, but the textiles within are, so are the LPG appliances. Or did you figure on just leaving it a bare aluminum shell?

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Was a joke, there is a lot of aluminum in the build, hence the smiley face. You missed the tank full of diesel, wiring harness, tires, what else since we're nit picking a funny???

thethePete

Explorer
Engine oil, any magnesium that may be present in the installed components, aluminum is an oxidizer when it gets hot enough, so the whole shell is an accellerant, basically... You know, since we're being pedants.

Freebird

Adventurer
Hey, I didn't mean to kick a snowball to start an avalanche.... :-(

Smoke detectors protect when your sleeping. The rest of the time your very likely to know what is going on.

Redundant smoke detectors, in fact. :)

Last edited:

thethePete

Explorer
Ward, are you sure that's enough? I'd look at those systems that fill the whole area with foam suppressant... Never can be too careful. ;)

Healeyjet

Explorer
Thanks Greg! I think you were parked two rows behind us at NWOR this year. I thought I recognized your rig and looked back through my photos. We were parked two rows ahead of you and had the black Jeep with the Habitat camper. You have a pretty nice setup yourself!
Ward

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne