Do you use wheel spacers for wheeling?

D45

Explorer
With the length of the threads on the stock wheel lugs/studs, does anyone know how thick of slide on spacers I can use?

1/4"?
5/16"?
3/8"?

D45

Explorer
M14 x 1.5 Lug Nuts

Stud is 31mm long....so 1.22"

Factory lug nut is 44.5mm long......so 1.75"

billiebob

Installed correctly, they work. But why spend $200 on spacers when you can just buy the correct wheel, eliminate that hidden connection and reduce unsprung weight.

The only place for spacers is when you want to keep the appearance of stock rims. But if you are buying rims, just buy the right rims.

F350joe

For those that are running spacers, what brand you running ? Looking specifically at Toyota Tacoma/Sequoia 6 lug.

1.25” gives you the full length of the lug to tighten it down. These are milled, made in the USA, and have a good rep. They only sell 1.25” because any short or longer require different studs. I run them on my GX470 with +30 wheels and everything lines up nice. 1E266D3F-26FE-4BCD-9E07-CB9CA796ED56.jpeg http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.169/.f

MTVR

No spacers for me. I have seen so many spacers fail, even on smaller, lighter vehicles, often with catastrophic results...

D

Deleted member 9101

really, I know that is the myth but in 50 years around cars, I've never once seen a story about spacers failing

42 years for me...never seen them fail either. I've seen them on slammed mini trucks, big block powered mud trucks, Solo II cars, drag cars, and an F450 that hauled 20k around 5 days a week.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.

Hawaiian style trucks are the slammed/stance vehicle of the offroad community. Started out reasonable based on a need then just kept getting more and more out of hand and exaggerated. I lived in Hawaii for 7 years, these trucks are a dime a dozen. Almost always a Tacoma, sometimes a Tundra, and occasionally a Nissan for good measure.

tacollie

Glamper
I've used spidertrax on a Tacoma and 4Runner. I checked the tower when I rotated tires. I never had any issues.

Installed correctly, they work. But why spend $200 on spacers when you can just buy the correct wheel, eliminate that hidden connection and reduce unsprung weight.

The only place for spacers is when you want to keep the appearance of stock rims. But if you are buying rims, just buy the right rims.
The issue I had are most aftermarket rims are wider than I wanted. I didn't want to put a 235 on an 8" rim. Also, rims are $800+.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier