Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
I don't know what page Mr. Brady's post is from but... Very well said. He more or less wrote exactly what I wanted to but was far to lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robert

Expedition Leader
I agree with everything you said except one. We do not live in a Democracy, we live in a Democratic Republic. The 2nd amendment is an enumerated civil right given to us by the constitution. It can only be taken away in very specific ways, and if I have my way, it will never be taken away from me, regardless of what the government says.

That said, I do however also respect those that have the opposite viewpoint of me. My Fiancé hates guns, yet she 'tolerates' me carrying a firearm every minute of every day that I can.

Close- the Constitution, specifically the Bill of Rights, doesn't give or grant us anything. What it does is recognize certain "rights" as God-Given or more specifically "Natural Law" and places prohibitions on governmental power. The flaw, if one considers is as such, is that in order for a republic such as was envisioned to actually work all persons must accept personal responsibility- this more or less flies in the face of human nature as we know from history that most people tend to be followers and will take the easy way whether it's cutting across a corner on a trail or failing to educate themselves about safe firearms handling.

"A republic, if you can keep it."- Benjamin Franklin on the type of government formed by the Constitutional Convention. I'd say it was a valiant effort but ultimately doomed to failure simply by human nature; were we are on that downward slide may be debatable but I'd definitely put us on the backside of that curve.

Longrange308

Adventurer
Close- the Constitution, specifically the Bill of Rights, doesn't give or grant us anything. What it does is recognize certain "rights" as God-Given or more specifically "Natural Law" and places prohibitions on governmental power. The flaw, if one considers is as such, is that in order for a republic such as was envisioned to actually work all persons must accept personal responsibility- this more or less flies in the face of human nature as we know from history that most people tend to be followers and will take the easy way whether it's cutting across a corner on a trail or failing to educate themselves about safe firearms handling.

"A republic, if you can keep it."- Benjamin Franklin on the type of government formed by the Constitutional Convention. I'd say it was a valiant effort but ultimately doomed to failure simply by human nature; were we are on that downward slide may be debatable but I'd definitely put us on the backside of that curve.

Well said sir. And I do stand corrected on what I originally posted. I was at work and I was rushing. Instead of "given" I indeed meant to type "protected". Thank you for the correction there.

GregSplett

Adventurer

Unfortunately I think our public school system has a lot to do with "most people being followers".

That and parents that are too selfish to actually raise their children.

I did a mix of public and private christian schooling.You would think the private christian school would be operating heavily on an agenda.That is not what I took away from it all.Too many public school teachers were activists and used their classroom as such.They prey on young people wanting to be accepted and cool.

I think the people of this country have let the government replace "personal responsibility".

I think unfortunately that america as we knew it is gone.

Anybody who needs to show me their fire arm worries me.

Longrange308

Adventurer
Unfortunately I think our public school system has a lot to do with "most people being followers".

That and parents that are too selfish to actually raise their children.

I did a mix of public and private christian schooling.You would think the private christian school would be operating heavily on an agenda.That is not what I took away from it all.Too many public school teachers were activists and used their classroom as such.They prey on young people wanting to be accepted and cool.

I think the people of this country have let the government replace "personal responsibility".

I think unfortunately that america as we knew it is gone.

Anybody who needs to show me their fire arm worries me.

I agree with you on everything, but can you elaborate on that last sentence please?

Longrange308

Adventurer
The difference between carrying to bolster ones ego and carrying for self defense.

That I can wholeheartedly agree with. I carry everyday, but to protect me and mine.. I would also go out of the way and endanger my own well being to protect others. The only time people ever see my weapon on me is when I'm in the backcountry with my .357. Its big and heavy and it doesn't conceal very well.

GregSplett

Adventurer
I was visiting a friend of mine out on the coast years ago.He owns a small fishing hunting store.I was in my early twenties.He does some gunsmithing along with reel repair.There was maybe 8 locals inside drinking coffee on a rainy afternoon.The talk got to be about a modification to a small arm.Before the conversation was over I learned that every one in the store was carrying.You would never have known.It left a impression on me concerning people who carry and the fact that nothing to do with these peoples ego or identity.

A couple of years ago I was fishing a remote mountain lake.Another fellow came down and said hi.Within a couple minutes he asked if I was carrying.I said no..He spent the next five minutes explaining to me that he does and why and of course a look at his weapon.That bothers me.I left.

Longrange308

Adventurer
That is what makes you extremely dangerous, IMO. Trigger happy and looking to be a hero.

Inserting yourself into situations is, JIMO, reckless at best. The amount of civil and criminal liability you expose yourself to even IF you make a 100% correct decision is extreme in most places.

For me, if it doesn't involve me, I won't involve myself....usually not even to the point where I could be called upon as a witness. But again, that is just my opinion.

I never said I go out of my way looking to be a hero, nor would I say I would insert myself into just any situation looking to be a hero. Civil and criminal liability is a real thing, but excuse me for not being a POS that can just walk away and hide from innocents getting killed, its not how I am wired. If I was at the mall, or restaurant or wherever, and an active shooter situation broke out, if I had the opportunity to end it, I would. I have never and will never go out of my way looking to escalate an issue, in fact I have had specific training on how to de-escalate situations.

For you to just assume that I am a trigger happy idiot looking to be a hero is just plain insulting, especially to paint anyone with a similar mindset with the same broad stroke. You may be completely content being a sheeple, but that doesn't mean that all of us are, and you are no less safe because of it.

kmlacroix

Explorer
In the military I had to qualify to carry a weapon on watch. I took it upon myself to get better at shooting. I can still hit what I aim at, at least as of the last time I shot. I have yet to find myself in a situation where a firearm could have made anything better. I neither carry, nor own a firearm. My opinion is that anyone, other than specifically for their job, bear country, that "needs" to open carry, is not to be trusted.

If I were to be travelling in an area where not having a firearm is stupid, then I will be prepared.

I do respect the rights of individuals to do whatever they want, as long as it does not infringe on my, or my family's rights, or life, liberty or happiness of another individual.

my favorite caliber? .45

AzTacoma

Adventurer
That is what makes you extremely dangerous, IMO. Trigger happy and looking to be a hero.

Inserting yourself into situations is, JIMO, reckless at best. The amount of civil and criminal liability you expose yourself to even IF you make a 100% correct decision is extreme in most places.

For me, if it doesn't involve me, I won't involve myself....usually not even to the point where I could be called upon as a witness. But again, that is just my opinion.

I think you may be jumping to conclusions here and I suggest you may be assuming a lot about a person based on a short online comment.

A lot of people would endanger themselves to help someone else and I don't find that particular dangerous. It sounds... human.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I think you may be jumping to conclusions here and I suggest you may be assuming a lot about a person based on a short online comment.

A lot of people would endanger themselves to help someone else and I don't find that particular dangerous. It sounds... human.
It's dangerouse if you have a gun. Somebody else on the street may be saying "He had a gun and I thought I was going to die so I killed him." They may walk and your dead. Street 101 tells you to never pull your gun unless your going to pull the trigger because an undercover cop is trained to blow away anybody that they don't know if they are pulling a gun. It's self preservation for the cop and self preservation for you by not using yours unless your really going to use it. I got stabbed and shot a guy. I was not worried about him but worried about a gun freak getting twitchy or an undercover rookie blowing me away before they knew what had happened. Could be a slight risk in your opinion or situation but it's still a risk your opening up by being a Good Samaritan.
Reviews on the first book everybody needs to read before they carry. http://www.amazon.com/In-Gravest-Extreme-Personal-Protection/product-reviews/0936279001

Last edited:

AzTacoma

Adventurer
It's dangerouse if you have a gun. Somebody else on the street may be saying "He had a gun and I thought I was going to die so I killed him." They may walk and your dead. Street 101 tells you to never pull your gun unless your going to pull the trigger because an undercover cop is trained to blow away anybody that they don't know if they are pulling a gun. It's self preservation for the cop and self preservation for you by not using yours unless your really going to use it. I got stabbed and shot a guy. I was not worried about him but worried about a gun freak getting twitchy or an undercover rookie blowing me away before they knew what had happened. Could be a slight risk in your opinion or situation but it's still a risk your opening up by being a Good Samaritan.
Reviews on the first book everybody needs to read before they carry. http://www.amazon.com/In-Gravest-Extreme-Personal-Protection/product-reviews/0936279001

You are right and I totally get it... there is risk involved. But there is risk in driving down the road or a thousand other things we may do on a daily basis and I think part of living in a free society means accepting a certain amount of mitigated risk. Everyone's risk threshold is different, but I don't advocate living in some infantile, antiseptic society where "safety" and security trump everything else. A little internet bravado doesn't bother me nearly as much as the general pain and suffering bad people inflict on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94