DIY Wedge Camper - GFC Replica

genasea

As stated before, Awesome job on your camper, and a spectacular write-up in building it. One of the best, with very clear explanations.

Thank you so much for putting in all the effort on documenting the build process, it is appreciated.

Superduty

Adventurer
@Ripcord_

Do the hinged lower panels on the side and above tailgate seal water out effectively? It would seem that the water would get into the gap at the top where the hinges are and then flow until it finds a way in. Is the dust seal you used really effective at keeping the water out?

On the same note, I see on the McMaster site they sell the dust seal with 3M adhesive, which is more expensive. Have you had any issues with the dust seals you purchased?

Thanks again for the awesome write up.

Last edited:

brokenhorn

Thanks for sharing your build. Decided to build my own after reading it.
d3b7f74c1aad78d2ee03a866d26fdf3e.jpg
1df348fd94342de4f6b82bff83893630.jpg
be479c3ef0b4f0b2a594c9eebfd0370c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RedFox67

Thanks for the write-up. I can't seem to find any 6mm floor panels or anything thicker than 3mm in a 5x10 sheet locally. Based on your experience with the 3mm panels, what spacing of support would be required to resist the panels deflecting?

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Thanks for the write-up. I can't seem to find any 6mm floor panels or anything thicker than 3mm in a 5x10 sheet locally. Based on your experience with the 3mm panels, what spacing of support would be required to resist the panels deflecting?

Where are you located? I'm in a mid sized city and was able to find a supply warehouse for sign shops. They had, or could easily get, about every variation of it you can think of. Prices were pretty good too. Unfortunately I'd have to dig it up again because I haven't gone through with this project.

RedFox67

I’m in Atlanta. The two large sign shops that I have talked to said they can’t get 6mm in 5x10 sheets. The mom and pop shop didn’t want to help either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86scotty

Cynic
Piedmont Plastics is the name of this place in Knoxville, just 3.5 hrs north of you. Might be worth it.

About 6 months ago the lady there quoted me $120-140 for 3-6mm black or white 5x10's. She had white in stock and IIRC said black was just a couple days to get. She was kind of laid back. She said I could come out and check them out for my project. I had explained to her that I was new to this material and not a sign maker, using them to build a some camper walls. I with I had gotten her name but didn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94