DIY Composite Flatbed Camper Build

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Do you have a shunt to measure overall amps burned?

I have the Magnum battery monitor with shunt. I haven't spent a lot of time trying to figure out all the features other than
charging and monitoring the battery. There is an amp display that shows amps being used when using the inverter, however
when running the 12 volt AC the amps read zero. If anybody can offer a quick suggestion I'm all ears:)

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Heard back from Kalori regarding compressor. They do recommend a thicker gauge wire,- 2 gauge. I'll probably go with 1/0, just not in a big hurry
to get this done. So far I've been impressed with Kalori.
Connected the new grey tank drain line. It slips right over and flows much better.

Attachments

• IMG_20180702_124543265.jpg
    IMG_20180702_124543265.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 85

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Kalori compressor update. Although the unit has been doing fine for now, I received a phone call from Steven at http://dcpowersales.com/.
After further investigation, he informed me that it was not the compressor but a heat sensor. I was impressed by his follow up and glad that I won't
have to replace the compressor.
On another note; I noticed my solar was not charging. Turned out to be the click connection in the wiring. Seems it fused together to where it would not
come apart. Replaced the ends and all is good again. I just wonder what would have caused this.

java

Expedition Leader
Kalori compressor update. Although the unit has been doing fine for now, I received a phone call from Steven at http://dcpowersales.com/.
After further investigation, he informed me that it was not the compressor but a heat sensor. I was impressed by his follow up and glad that I won't
have to replace the compressor.
On another note; I noticed my solar was not charging. Turned out to be the click connection in the wiring. Seems it fused together to where it would not
come apart. Replaced the ends and all is good again. I just wonder what would have caused this.

Connecting the panels under load can cause an arc that will weld them together....

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Thanks, good to know, however the panels had been connected for a couple weeks and performing fine. Any other thoughts?

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Finally got around to the rewiring of the AC. Went with 1 gauge and ANL fuse block. This fuse seems to make a more solid connection than the blade type.
Larger wire required two aluminum conduits instead of one. For interior, Lowes has a good selection for wire hiders. https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=wire+hider

Attachments

• IMG_20180720_104048607.jpg
    IMG_20180720_104048607.jpg
    895.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20180720_104111514.jpg
    IMG_20180720_104111514.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20180722_112504388.jpg
    IMG_20180722_112504388.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20180722_112641511.jpg
    IMG_20180722_112641511.jpg
    725 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20180723_135145340.jpg
    IMG_20180723_135145340.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20180723_140047388.jpg
    IMG_20180723_140047388.jpg
    668.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20180727_090111639.jpg
    IMG_20180727_090111639.jpg
    904.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20180727_090231900.jpg
    IMG_20180727_090231900.jpg
    810.9 KB · Views: 153

Bassman770

Wow. I really want to thank you and all the follow up posters. There’s a wealth of info in this post.
I’m new here because i can’t find a slide in for my truck that meets my needs and wants. I’m about to chase a dream of bass fishing for a living. That means many days away from home and always pulling a boat. Usually to out of the way lakes where hotels are scarce and expensive. I need to maintain my flatbed for work. I’m contemplating building my own. I’m fully capable with my skill set. It was really nice to see how yours turned out. Congratulations!

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Thanks, I appreciate that. There is a lot of good information and ideas within this forum which inspired me to do this build.
I've never done anything like this before and feel that most DIY'ers can probably do the same and better. Looking back, there are
definitely a few things I would do different. It was a good learning experience and very satisfying. I highly recommend it:)

jdpriddle

Absolutely superb build, inspirational. I have just sourced xps foam and fibreglass sheets for my own attempt! Can I ask more detail about how you ran plumbing underfloor and also did you duct any electrical wiring or simply use wire hiders for anything not behind cabinetry? Many thanks!

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Absolutely superb build, inspirational. I have just sourced xps foam and fibreglass sheets for my own attempt! Can I ask more detail about how you ran plumbing underfloor and also did you duct any electrical wiring or simply use wire hiders for anything not behind cabinetry? Many thanks!

Thank you. If you go back to post #12, you can see the plumbing between the two sheets of plywood. You could easily do the same with wiring if you have everything planned in advance.
For the roof vent I drilled a hole through the foam of the panel, then took it down the side behind cabinetry. For wire going to the back, it went under the door threshold on the floor.
Congrats on your decision to DIY!!

jdpriddle

Thank you. If you go back to post #12, you can see the plumbing between the two sheets of plywood. You could easily do the same with wiring if you have everything planned in advance.
For the roof vent I drilled a hole through the foam of the panel, then took it down the side behind cabinetry. For wire going to the back, it went under the door threshold on the floor.
Congrats on your decision to DIY!!

Thanks for that, I had already decided this needs to be about 90% thinking and 10 % building! I saw the picture in #12 but wasn't sure where it led to or what you used.
One thing that does interest me is the need for all the aluminium bracing. I saw a company called styromax that just seems to only glue everything. There is a interesting video channel of theirs on you tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJOGlv09kaWx9GS1Orml3Yg.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
The drain in #12 is for the shower and the sinks. It is a 1 inch tube that exits between the camper and cab. A flex line then connects it to the gray tank under the flat bed.
For my build the aluminum is a must for construction. The video's you referenced are very interesting but I don't know enough about the Henkel product to comment. I did notice
the first video with the lifting roof had aluminum extrusions and not just glue.

jdpriddle

OK thanks. I think those extrusions mostly tidy up the edges and are not structural. The other build series videos just use glue. I think I will test the Henkel product, nothing like finding out for yourself! (There is an impressive shot of the guy hanging from overhead cabinets that are just glued to the walls watch from 3.45). Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles