DIY camp kitchen kit from Pelican 1560 (pics and a question)

DaveM

Explorer
Building a new camp kitchen storage kit from a used Pelican 1560. Old kit was a Frontrunner Wolfpack. The small amount of extra room in the Pelican allows me to add some DIY dividers to keep things better organized. For small items I plan to velcro in a few of these zipper pouches from Blue Ridge Overland.

Question: can anybody recommend some good velcro ("hook and loop") panels to put into the lid for my pouches? Something with really strong adhesive. Hardware store stuff seems to always peel off after a while. I know there's a molle panel insert for the lid but I need all the depth for the pouches.

IMG_9079.JPGIMG_9080.JPGIMG_9081.JPGIMG_9083.JPG

1000arms

Building a new camp kitchen storage kit from a used Pelican 1560. Old kit was a Frontrunner Wolfpack. The small amount of extra room in the Pelican allows me to add some DIY dividers to keep things better organized. For small items I plan to velcro in a few of these zipper pouches from Blue Ridge Overland.

Question: can anybody recommend some good velcro ("hook and loop") panels to put into the lid for my pouches? Something with really strong adhesive. Hardware store stuff seems to always peel off after a while. I know there's a molle panel insert for the lid but I need all the depth for the pouches.

View attachment 673982View attachment 673983View attachment 673984View attachment 673985
I think your case lid has mounting points for screws. For ideas, see:

You might also consider velcro without adhesive. For gluing, see Pelican's suggestions:

DaveM

Explorer
I think your case lid has mounting points for screws. For ideas, see:

You might also consider velcro without adhesive. For gluing, see Pelican's suggestions:

Would love to just use the molle panel, but I need the full depth of the lid to make it all fit. I think the screw mounts are proud if the lid by at least 1/2" plus the thickness of the panel and molle attachments. Was going to avoid harcore glueing in for the velcro, but maybe that's the best option. Even if I stop using it, having it in the lid won't take up any future room. Thanks for the Pelican adhesive specs!

1000arms

Would love to just use the molle panel, but I need the full depth of the lid to make it all fit. I think the screw mounts are proud if the lid by at least 1/2" plus the thickness of the panel and molle attachments. Was going to avoid harcore glueing in for the velcro, but maybe that's the best option. Even if I stop using it, having it in the lid won't take up any future room. Thanks for the Pelican adhesive specs!
What if, first using some cardboard as a mockup, you cut + sewed a fabric panel to fit against the case lid interior, and used washer-like spacers (that slip over the screw mounting posts) retained by washers + screws to keep the fabric panel against the lid interior?

You are welcome for the Pelican adhesive specs.

slomatt

Adventurer
A high quality double side tape like VHB from 3M would likely hold up well in that use.

Are the dividers coroplast covered with thin closed cell foam? Looks good

DaveM

Explorer
A high quality double side tape like VHB from 3M would likely hold up well in that use.

Are the dividers coroplast covered with thin closed cell foam? Looks good
Thanks. Yes, black coroplast with selfadehsive 1/8" foam. MUCH cheaper than the stuff from Pelican! And easy to assemble. I used weed barrier staples to pin the pieces together through the coroplast holes on top.

DaveM

Explorer
More or less final set up for now. In the end the Blue Ridge Overland supplied self adhesive hook and loop worked fine for attaching their small velcro backed pouches to the lid. They tear off easy without feeling like I'm going to pull the velcro off the lid.

IMG_9105.JPGIMG_9106.JPGIMG_9107.JPGIMG_9108.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12