Diving in Head First!

yabanja

Explorer
Making more progress in preparation for the upcoming trip. You know, I am really like a ball rolling downhill. The closer the the time comes for departure the faster the repairs get done!! Oh well, whatever it takes to get the stuff done I guess.

Yesterday I installed the second Maxxfan. I also found the source of the leakage I have been having in heavy rains. The seams on the roofing membrane were beginning to shrink and crack. Since I already had a tube of sikaflex white marine sealant/adhesive open for the roof vent install I went ahead and re-sealed all seams on the roof for good measure.

The new vents came with inner bezels. I decided to do a quick sand and repaint of the whole ceiling with flat white ceiling paint before proceeding with the install. One more coat and it will be ready to go.
IMG_3985.jpg

On the first trips in the camper we have really had a lot of stuff in the isle without anywhere to stow it so I decided to try to free up some storage space. The cabinet under the kitchen sink had a large fender area taking up the whole bottom shelf from when the camper was a trailer. I removed it and added about 4 cubic feet of storage! Will be sealing it up with alumuinum and plywood tomorrow.

IMG_3986.jpg

Found this in the back of the cabinet.... dated 1989. This stuff doesn't expire does it?

IMG_3979.jpg

The Dometic Three way refridgerator was non operational and we purchased an Engel to replace it so it was time for it to go.

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

I pulled the access panels and got everything disconnected.

IMG_3984.jpg
IMG_3980.jpg
IMG_3987.jpg

But I was in for a bit of a surprise:

IMG_3988.jpg
IMG_3989.jpg

The fridge was wider than the bottom half of the door. Luckily it fit out the top half, but this meant I had to enlist the help of the neighbor. Sakshi and he hefted the fridge out of the top half of the door while I caught it while perched at the top of a ladder. Exciting to say the least. Well, no one was damaged and so it was a success!

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
I have this strange obsession with light fixtures. I have always enjoyed making them myself. For example, the counterweighted fixture over my dining room table:

IMG_3999.jpg

So needless to say, I have been eager to throw something together for the camper. I wanted to have lights that could be directed at the ceiling for indirect lighting or shined down for a spotlight for late night reading. My wife had one of those floor lamps with 5 different bulbs on bendy stalks which I decided to make sacrificial. I disassembled it to steal the bendy stalks:

IMG_3995.jpg

I purchased some inexpensive led lights with a warm colored light:

IMG_3997.jpg

And am adhering them to the stalks:

IMG_3998.jpg

Tomorrow I will fabricate the bases and get them mounted up.

yabanja

Explorer
Yesterday I got the hole under the cabinets all sealed up. Cut a piece of plywood for the cabinet floor and screwed/adhered a piece of aluminum sheet to the underside. Also covered a couple of other exposed areas on the underside of the camper with aluminum.

I used 1.5" polisio foam sheet and aluminum tape to seal the hole in the wall where the fridge was:

IMG_4003.jpg
IMG_4005.jpg

I painted a large sheet of aluminum "Satin Almond" to match the color of the camper. I still had a bit of the Sika 291 marine sealant so I threw on a bead a screwed it in place. I must say the 291 is a welcome relief after using some of their other products as it is actually fluid enough to squeeze out with one hand. It turned our really nicely:

IMG_4007.jpg
IMG_4008.jpg

The space where the fridge was will accommodate the Engel and the pantry box very nicely. Ultimately I will be installing a shelf above the fridge but for this trip a quick strap to hold everything in place will have to do.

IMG_4002.jpg

The lamps came out nicely so I am going to make the bases today and get them installed prior to departure.

IMG_4001.jpg

Have been doing a dozen other things from the list in an effort to depart today!! (double check leaf torque on the springs, set tire pressures, pack, install u-bolts on front leaves, clean interior, trim out ceiling fans, make insulated curtains, get second propane tank, etc....)

On a side note, when I first purchased the truck and wheels I bought a set of old used tires and drove it around a bit. It was great. When I was ready to take my first trip I bought a new set of BFG all terrain KO2 tires. I have had a pretty bad vibration ever since. I had the wheels balanced professionally and ditched the balance beads and it didn't really help. I decided to lift the truck one wheel at a time so they just clear the ground and spin the tires. It turns out the drivers front tire is not round!!! It is out in one spot by about 1/2-3/4 of an inch!! I have run into this a lot with cheap tires but didn't expect a $330 dollar tire to have this issue!!! I had been keeping one of the old tires for a spare but it looks like I will be buying another bfg and switching the square one out to keep as a spare. Had hoped to do this prior to this trip but it looks like it won't happen.

While I had one wheel up off the ground in the back I decided to test out the rear limited slip. It does not work. I can release the clutch with one wheel up and it just spins. I suspect someone put synthetic fluid in the rear differential. I made this mistake with a race car with a clutch type lsd and it stopped working. Luckily the problem was remedied by switching back to conventional gear oil with some friction modifier. Will try this upon return from the trip. (hopefully I don't get stuck again between now and then!-of course I guess that makes for good stories!)

Allan

Last edited:

david506th

Adventurer
On a side note, when I first purchased the truck and wheels I bought a set of old used tires and drove it around a bit. It was great. When I was ready to take my first trip I bought a new set of BFG all terrain KO2 tires. I have had a pretty bad vibration ever since. I had the wheels balanced professionally and ditched the balance beads and it didn't really help. I decided to lift the truck one wheel at a time so they just clear the ground and spin the tires. It turns out the drivers front tire is not round!!! It is out in one spot by about 1/2-3/4 of an inch!! I have run into this a lot with cheap tires but didn't expect a $330 dollar tire to have this issue!!! I had been keeping one of the old tires for a spare but it looks like I will be buying another bfg and switching the square one out to keep as a spare. Had hoped to do this prior to this trip but it looks like it won't happen.
Allan

Allan,

You might try giving BFG a call. At Expo East there was a large section dedicated to BF Goodrich and their new KO2 tire. A few of the design guys and production guys were there giving classes and expounding on the new KO2 benefits. They might rather like to give you a new one since they were really pushing it at Expo then get bad press. I am sure someone on here has those guys contact info.

David

westyss

Explorer
looking good, seems like a trip is usually the best way to get stuff done in a short time, keep at it!

Sika will flow better if you warm it up first, especially 252.

If the proper fluid is not used in my diff every time you take a turn it clicks loudly and stutters around the corner ( stutters?? ) I am sure there is a better word for it but it feels like something is breaking in the diff, so its very noticeable, it certainly doesn't do "nothing". Most likely the pads are worn?? But I dont know.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The space where the fridge was will accommodate the Engel and the pantry box very nicely. Ultimately I will be installing a shelf above the fridge but for this trip a quick strap to hold everything in place will have to do.

If it were me, I would install some 100% slides for both the Engel and the pantry box. That would give you much easier access to both.

yabanja

Explorer
If it were me, I would install some 100% slides for both the Engel and the pantry box. That would give you much easier access to both.

That's the plan! But it will have to wait for the complete interior remodel down the road.

Allan

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Look great!

Hay Allan, would you be interested in splitting shipping charges so I can get that MUTSIII unit out to you, and see if it works on your truck? Maybe then send on to Jon? Check out the OBD thread, I posted the offer there.

yabanja

Explorer
The new rear fenders work great. No mud flung about at all on our last trip. Have been looking for a solution for the front and saw a fuso FH parked down the street this morning and it is equipped with factory flared front fenders. At least 3" wider than my FG. Going to have to get some of these!

Allan

IMG_4097.jpg

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I do not know what gear is available through ATW USA, but ATW Oz make some custom front guards that are used for single wheel conversions.
I know they make these guards for the FG84 (FG140), but do not know if they make them for other models.

You can see a small image of the flared guards in their accessories brochure.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I mounted 3" rubber flares to the front of mine to stop the mud from getting thrown up over the cab. There are photos in my first Cape trip thread.

Dan.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
The new rear fenders work great. No mud flung about at all on our last trip. Have been looking for a solution for the front and saw a fuso FH parked down the street this morning and it is equipped with factory flared front fenders. At least 3" wider than my FG. Going to have to get some of these!

Allan

View attachment 309571

I wonder if those could be fitted to a later model?

yabanja

Explorer
For the first time since I completed FIDO I crossed the scales today. It is all loaded up with all camping gear, a half tank of gas, and Me. In my mind I was thinking 10,500 lbs. When I purchased the truck it weighed 8900 empty with the steel flatbed and lift-gate.

I was pleasantly surprised when the weight came in at 9460 total. The split is almost perfect 50/50 front to rear. Very pleased!

Allan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94