Diving in Head First!

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I am a thousand miles into the first road trip with Fido, and I am getting a feel for the vehicle.
1. It really likes to go slow. The slower the better. 50-55 mph is it's happy place although it is capable of much higher speeds.
2. Fuel economy varies wildly depending on driving style. 12 mpg at 65-70 mph with a headwind. 19 mpg under 30 mph in 4wd on dirt roads.(my preferred mode of travel)
3. The 37 x 12.5 BFG AT TA KO2 tires were the right choice. They are superior in all conditions. Quiet on the freeway. Unstoppable in the mud when aired down to 25psi.
4. Having a camper top that is flush with the cab is a necessity.- Great in headwinds, great for center of gravity, and necessary when driving old dirt roads with many low branches.
5. Fuso campers make friends. Everywhere you go everyone wants to talk about it.
6. This truck is really really good off road. Deep mud and large obstacles are no problem if driven with care.
7. Having Low range is a necessity for me- A the Expo I watched a Duonic truck try to climb up onto an 8" tall log. It wouldn't do it without getting a run at it. My truck will idle over the same obstacle in low range. I also love the ability to control my speed with more precision afforded by the different gear ratios.
Another week on the road and then it is time to start the interior modifications!

Exactly what I found - other than I use Kuhmo KL71 in 315/75x16. Same thing, good in off road situation and quiet on road.

Dan.

yabanja

Explorer
Fuso's still have the aerodynamics of a brick, but looking on the bright side, it is better to have a low profile brick opposed to a high profile one. :)

Of more importance is clearance of trees when sliding around on the verge of control in Siberia like muddy roads where stopping means camping until it dries out.

Allan

yabanja

Explorer
So after all of my off road prowess and mud unstoppability comments yesterday. I am a bit nervous about the next leg of my trip. I am heading through an area of bentonite on a road deemed impassable in the rain. It was really stormy up that way yesterday... I considered changing my route but where is the fun in that. Will be away from internet for a couple of days!

Allan

Aussie Iron

Explorer
So after all of my off road prowess and mud unstoppability comments yesterday. I am a bit nervous about the next leg of my trip. I am heading through an area of bentonite on a road deemed impassable in the rain. It was really stormy up that way yesterday... I considered changing my route but where is the fun in that. Will be away from internet for a couple of days!

Allan

That is going to be a slippery one. 4WD and steady on the throttle. Take some video if you can and of coarse let us know how it goes.

Dan.

dlh62c

Explorer

Sounds like fun, but know what your driving into or across. It doesn't hurt to have some cash, for what you might call a recovery fund, JIC.

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
Of more importance is clearance of trees when sliding around on the verge of control in Siberia like muddy roads where stopping means camping until it dries out.

Allan

Yes, been there & done that but in a Landcruiser. I would love to do it in my truck but am sure there would be hand and nether region clenching moments.

yabanja

Explorer
I just returned to civilization. 17 days on the road. 1600 miles total with nearly half on the dirt(haven't calculated how many yet). Full report to come in the adventures page.

Allan

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
The trip was a success! The camper held together and, more importantly, my wife is sold on the concept in a BIG way. She loves it! What this means is that I can proceed with phase II of the project. The first phase was getting the camper mounted and semi functional and testing for structural integrity. The only failures I had on the trip were the chain for the rear mudflap came loose and broke a tailight and the hydraulic roof pump solenoid stuck on after passing through 3- foot deep water/mud bog.(had to act fast to get it disconnected from the battery before something was damaged!)

Phase II is bringing the 1978 model camper up to date and getting setup for long duration multinational travel. After spending nearly three weeks on the road in very adverse conditions we have a list!

1. Install roof vents(already procured-2 Maxx fans already procured)
2. Additional perimeter seals for the sliding top(the original works well except in heavy winds-going to follow westyss example and go with fuller brush evironmental bruses-2 sets top and bottom)
3. Floor insulation-the floor has virtually no insulation which makes for cold toesies in the mornings- 3" insulation to come!
4- New side windows- the originals are very poor
5- Re-seal and possibly reconstruct/replace the entry door
6- New bushings for the side sliders-still available despite HI-LO trailers being out of business for years!
7- Diesel Heater/Water heater- Webasto Dual Top Evo preferably. Was hoping to install myself but apparently they don't sell to the public $$$$
8- Install New fuel tank- Have 50 gallon aluminum-Need to procure or build mounting brackets
9- Rebuild Leaf springs for actual weight of truck-need to weigh truck
10- The timbren bump stops do not make contact under full suspension compression- Need to build spacers
11- Front shocks need new upper mounts to increase travel
12- Rear shock mount on frame needs to be flipped to increase droop
13- New rubber bumpers for top to rest on when compressed-possibly full perimeter bracket
14- Replace upper interior walls with decorative plywood to match the front and rear walls I already constructed- with 1" layer of insulation added.
15- Replace all interior lighting with LED
16- Build proper fenders
17- Rebuild bed- some of the slats are broken making one side uncomfortable
18- Curtains
19- Stairs
20- Install aluminum L channel along the sides of the roof to emulate front and rear- for protection from branches and to eliminate leakage/water intrusion
21- Install coat hooks in the shower to use for drying wet coats
22- Get wifi/cell signal boosters
23- Make FIDO decals/logo
24- Build lowered entry for muddy boot storage/ease of entry
25- Install second under bed tool box
26- Paint ceiling
27- Make magnet knife holder
28- Change all window-roof screens to ultra fine mesh for noseeums
29- Install rear Tow points
30- Build Rear hitch
31- Figure out bike storage
32- Add usb ports
33- Install Donaldson air filter
34- Replace passenger taillight assembly which was damaged by loose mudflap chain
35- Make reflective insulating window covers-snap on
36- Replace all vehicle fluids-major service per factory recommendation
37- Re torque-EVERYTHING
38- Make permanent spare tire mount
39- Relocate exhaust to higher exit point
40- Solar shower
41- Replace factory grab handles in cab for entry- starting to crack- any ideas on this???
42- Build new storage box for shore power cord
43- Door stop to prevent opening against window
44- Move relay for top opening up to avoid shorting out after deep water crossings
45- Replace front CV Boots- 15 years old. Not cracking yet
46- Install deep water breathers for f and r axles.
47- Easily accessed main circuit breaker to disconnect all trailer power
48- Remove and redesign/rebuild kitchen. Build slider for New Engel Fridge. Sliding waste basket. Spice Cabinet. Sliding rack for Large Plastic Food storage boxes
49- Hidden safe
50- Solar power
51- Power inverter
52- Second battery for Camper
53- Install air filter for air going into air compressor
54- Get shower/toilet/water system functional. Possibly thetford cassette toilet.
55- Install Seagull water purification system
56- Construct my own bat wing style awning

Just a couple little things! Should be done lickety split!!! As soon as my cracked rib heals I will get right on it! When it is done will determine our first destination- Alaska or Baja depending on the season.

Allan

Last edited:

Fugly

Adventurer
Strike me flamin pink Allan....
Just a few things to do...lol....
Great trucks are never finished ...lol
Always a work in progress ....

Cheers Fugly

Buckstopper

Adventurer
39- Relocate exhaust to higher exit point

Ditto...rear facing exhaust plugged with mud when I backed up "with feeling" to get some momentum to get out of a mud pit. It didn't kill the engine but hissed like crazy until I pulled forward and it blew the plug out. Reroute high and to the side of the truck. Probably go to 3" pipe as well.

Buckstopper

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Allan - add one more to the list.

56. Clean mud out of places that you didn't know you had!

It took me 4 hours with my pressure washer this weekend and I am sure I will find more mud! Good luck finding all the mud and getting it cleaned up.

Buckstopper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles