Dirtmobile - A KTM 990 Build

Cody1771

Explorer
nice! just noticed you made it to front page! congrats! Have you given any thought to trying the Heidenau K60? i have 10k km's on my rear on my Vstrom 650 and it is only at about 40%, front is still above 80% at 10k. lots of road miles. i would say close to 90% road and they have great traction, good in the wet, and have road sub zero temps on several occasions with them.

Mechanical

Adventurer
nice! just noticed you made it to front page! congrats! Have you given any thought to trying the Heidenau K60? i have 10k km's on my rear on my Vstrom 650 and it is only at about 40%, front is still above 80% at 10k. lots of road miles. i would say close to 90% road and they have great traction, good in the wet, and have road sub zero temps on several occasions with them.

Thanks Cody! We used the K60 From WY to Prudhoe and back to Anchorage. I really liked the tire, however, after 5500 miles of heavily loaded 2UP the tread still had a lot of life left in it (50%) but was developing some really nasty cracks. They were bad enough that I swapped the tire in Anchorage as I feared it was going to leave us stranded in BFCanada. If I was closer to home I wouldn't have worried much about it, and would have continued to use it until the tread was gone. I'll probably try the tire again, it seems like a really good compromise.

lonestrom

Adventurer
Thanks Cody! We used the K60 From WY to Prudhoe and back to Anchorage. I really liked the tire, however, after 5500 miles of heavily loaded 2UP the tread still had a lot of life left in it (50%) but was developing some really nasty cracks. They were bad enough that I swapped the tire in Anchorage as I feared it was going to leave us stranded in BFCanada. If I was closer to home I wouldn't have worried much about it, and would have continued to use it until the tread was gone. I'll probably try the tire again, it seems like a really good compromise.

I have over 10,000 miles on my rear K60 and still have atleast 30% left .Yes I also have some cracks but they have not got any worse in the last. 3,000 miles or so .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mechanical

Adventurer
An empty box of fun just showed up at my house. I promptly threw my forks and shock into the box and sent them packing for California.

HSmovEq.jpg

Now I just have to wait... :coffee:

Albertus

Cool build. Great job Will. How much $ did the mods set you back?

Your Dirtmobile build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net
directory here: Mechanical's Dirtmobile build

We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google
Images). We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your
build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just send me a message with a link to
the build thread and we’ll take care of the rest.

Al

BlackdogGS

Observer
Nice build. I just bought a KTM 690 Enduro. As a matter of fact it's still in the back of the truck. I've owned a few big and little DS/Adventure bikes but never a KTM. This will be the ultimate do-it-all-bike (at least for me). I'm liking your damper, I'll see how my bike does without before I get one. A small windscreen and side racks are on order plus I already have a ton of new parts on the shop floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles