Dirt Sunrise: Tim and Kelsey get lost...

KMM

Kelsey_DirtSunrise
In this episode we try and take race course over the mountains to get to som beautiful hot springs. Come along as we visit this not so well kept Baja secret. It is a little on the pricey side but still worth a visit in our opinion.

KMM

Kelsey_DirtSunrise
Well it's time to for some truck work. Dusty needs a winch and just a few other things...okay maybe more than a few things. Our list is long, so come along as we work our way through our to do list...and we get Tonto out of storage too!

KMM

Kelsey_DirtSunrise
Tim shares his thoughts on the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx that we had on Dusty our 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser HDJ80 with a Maltec conversion. How did they handle terrain? How did they last? And how did they compare to other similar tires we've had? Well you'll have to watch and find out.

Last edited:

gnel

Nice review! I to am a big fan of that size. I had the bfg and was happy with them but now I´m on a set of these
https://tiresize.com/tires/Mastercraft/Courser-CXT-255-85R16.htm
I´m about half life into them and have been really impressed. They´re taller,wider,lighter and quiter than the bfg or coops. These are very impressive in all terrain but sand really suprized me, they're great!
Try em out someday I think you'll like em!

KMM

Kelsey_DirtSunrise
We spend the day at one of Kelsey's favorite beaches then head off to find a camp for the night in some sand dunes (sand dunes are super fun). Over the following few days we make our way north enjoying all that Baja has to offer. Little did we know this would be our last time in Baja for a while!

skfitz

Well it's time to for some truck work. Dusty needs a winch and just a few other things...okay maybe more than a few things. Our list is long, so come along as we work our way through our to do list...and we get Tonto out of storage too!

Did you add a relay when you installed the gear reduction starter on Tonto? It gives the coil full juice when cranking. If you haven't, it would make Tonto even more legendary.

KMM

Kelsey_DirtSunrise
We are finishing up truck projects and in this episode we take care of Dusty's Diff's (aka gears) with the help of Zuk! Come along as we dig into this critical part of our truck!

toddz69

Explorer
Great video! I think Ken 'Zuk' must be the same Zuk that was featured a lot in 4WD and Sport Utility magazine back in the '90s doing crazy things with Suzuki Samurais.

Looks like his website says he taking 2022 off except for some local work.

I didn't catch it - are your diffs Eaton E-Lockers?

That looks like Dave Cookman's old 5 car in the background in the Tucson shop.

Todd Z.

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
I remember Ken 'Zuk' from the days back in Moab in the late 80's and 90's. He was part of the group of us who pushed through the Golden Spike trail. He came from the south direction with Dan Mick and their group. Tom M. "Red Neck" (Bob) and our group from the north.

Times were good back then! The times have changed not necessary better or worse just different. It is good to hear the names of the people we hung out with back then. It is better to know that they are still around, as many are passed away. Most of the people back in the 70's we hung out together and did not know what the future had in store for us. Every year the group gets smaller.

Glad to be Old!
I was with the group that came from the Poison Spider side. My son, Darin, rode with Dan M so he could to get out of his Jeep to survey the terrain / path. Unfortunately, my Jeep was having fuel problems and had to abort before the final connection.

NOTE TO FRENCHIE: Check your PM's !!!

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Great video! I think Ken 'Zuk' must be the same Zuk that was featured a lot in 4WD and Sport Utility magazine back in the '90s doing crazy things with Suzuki Samurais.

Looks like his website says he taking 2022 off except for some local work.

I didn't catch it - are your diffs Eaton E-Lockers?

That looks like Dave Cookman's old 5 car in the background in the Tucson shop.

Todd Z.

Todd, that's him!
Yes, marketed/branded by Harrop for Land Cruiser applications, but the internals are branded Eaton. (I assume they have the exclusive rights to certain LC models)
Yep, that's Cookie Monster. After 20 years of meaning to get the car back together he finally sold it to Brent who is getting it together to race. It had a lot of bent tubes so he's been cutting the beams out etc. Should be back racing soon.

Last edited:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I remember Ken 'Zuk' from the days back in Moab in the late 80's and 90's. He was part of the group of us who pushed through the Golden Spike trail. He came from the south direction with Dan Mick and their group. Tom M. "Red Neck" (Bob) and our group from the north.

Times were good back then! The times have changed not necessary better or worse just different. It is good to hear the names of the people we hung out with back then. It is better to know that they are still around, as many are passed away. Most of the people back in the 70's we hung out together and did not know what the future had in store for us. Every year the group gets smaller.

Glad to be Old!
That's cool. I started offroading during the tail end of that in the mid 90's. There was still so few people out remote that anytime you met or saw another offroader it was exciting. Times have changed, but much remains the same.

sourdoughben

At 70 and no offspring, if only I had the funds to support. Thank you for sharing your adventures. My wish to you and Kelsey is someone with the funds finds you two as enjoyable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles