Dice...... The 1978 Jeep Wagoneer

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Perfect! (y):D

How was the Expo? How crowded was it? I drove right past Flag on Friday on my way to NM to pick up this sidecar rig. Was going to stop but skipped it because I figured I wanted to spend more time there looking at stuff and didn't want to rush through. Will probably hit it up next year.
View attachment 451176View attachment 451177
Oh no, I never thought that bike would be sold. :-(
I hope Ara is okay. Rest in Peace Spirit... http://theoasisofmysoul.com/

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
[QUOTE="DGarman, post: 2477803][/QUOTE]

Following along with your thread since you first got Dice. Brought back great memories of the '79 Cherokee Chief I bought new. Loved it, but didn't know how much til many years later after I sold it. The one thing I remember that the 360 was a very thirsty beast and just couldn't pass up a gas station.

Hackopotomus

Observer
Oh no, I never thought that bike would be sold. :-(
I hope Ara is okay. Rest in Peace Spirit... http://theoasisofmysoul.com/

Ara is doing okay but has a few health issues that prevent him from riding. He will be getting surgery soon and hopefully that will help him. He sold his place in TX and bought a nice little home in NM closer to health facilities. He has been going up into the mountains in his Jeep and got himself a new pup, Zoey. She is a big love muffin so don't pet her unless you want a 80+ pound lap dog!

I'll be continuing on with "Old Faithful", logging miles and exploring northern NV and the west with it with my dog, Jack. We will keep Ara and Spirit (and now Zoey) in our thoughts as we travel around. I feel that it is an honor to be the current custodian of this rig. IMG_4618.JPGIMG_4660.JPG

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Ara is doing okay but has a few health issues that prevent him from riding. He will be getting surgery soon and hopefully that will help him. He sold his place in TX and bought a nice little home in NM closer to health facilities. He has been going up into the mountains in his Jeep and got himself a new pup, Zoey. She is a big love muffin so don't pet her unless you want a 80+ pound lap dog!

I'll be continuing on with "Old Faithful", logging miles and exploring northern NV and the west with it with my dog, Jack. We will keep Ara and Spirit (and now Zoey) in our thoughts as we travel around. I feel that it is an honor to be the current custodian of this rig.

Awesome!......

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Following along with your thread since you first got Dice. Brought back great memories of the '79 Cherokee Chief I bought new. Loved it, but didn't know how much til many years later after I sold it. The one thing I remember that the 360 was a very thirsty beast and just couldn't pass up a gas station.
Thanks ROKTAXI!..... Dice is the same way with his 401!
But..... if I wanted a vehicle that was efficient, I'd get a Prius or any other of the small cars that all look the same.....
However..... my Dad was a lifetime Hot-Rodder from the 1950s...... "Drive a vehicle that has some Character" he would always say......
So I drive Dice now!........ also..... Dad comes along everywhere we go...... and he's enjoying the ride!

Glad to hear it! I saw Zoey on FB and she looks like a great pup!!!
Now back to our normal Dice programming!! He's famous!
[/QUOTE]
Zoey is going to have some fun in the years ahead!......
And Tim........ Dice says "Ahhh Shucks"!......

Last edited:

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Did a little bit of work on Dice's cooling system..... he runs and drives great, so he kind of gets neglected.....
Last winter, I noticed he would never warm up above 170* or so..... around town or on the highway.....
This summer, he would run hotter than I thought he should..... especially up grades..... of course the mechanical water temp gauge is a cheap Chinese POS.....
I go to Bakersfield CA once or twice a month..... up and over Tehachapi on Hwy. 58.....
The temp would climb 20* up a grade..... then drop 20* on the downhill side.....
I'm thinking he's got a thermostat stuck open..... or maybe no thermostat..... Hahaha!...... who would be stupid enough to do that!.....
Like I said..... Dice runs good so I never made it a priority.....
Until today.....
Drained the coolant...... removed the water outlet......
Damn!...... someone was stupid enough!..... no thermostat at all!..... coolant was running through the system too fast to cool it in the hot weather.....

Popped in a 192* thermostat...... complete with Jiggly Pin....... they're all the rage I hear.....

Got it all buttoned up..... the hoses were Daycos...... in very good condition..... no need to swap out.....

After filling up the system with 50/50..... looked closely at the cap..... "Made In Germany"!..... WTH!!!..... Thinking back..... I don't believe the German radiator cap ever jived with the coolant overflow outlet..... the overflow bottle was always dry..... even with a good hose going to it..... must be a result of the Cold War in 1978.....

It was fortuitous {that means "lucky"} that I bought a new radiator cap..... 16 PSI..... Lever-Type..... I like these caps because you can release pressure and remove the cap without getting 3rd degree burns on your inside forearm..... usually......

Now..... I have a full set of Autometer gauges to install..... with a new dash panel...... when I get ambitious.....
Here are the POS Equus gages..... you can buy them from Summit Racing...... for one-fourth of the cost of an Autometer gauge.....
You can tell the quality of the Equus gauges by the way the mechanical oil pressure gauge is filling up with oil internally.....

I need to drive to Bako tomorrow...... we'll see how Dice runs with a thermostat!.....

Bobzdar

Observer
Sweet setup!

Don't forget the factory roof rack will hold 90-100lbs, perfect for the spare if you need more room inside. Put the spare on the roof and adjust the luggage bars to the width of the tire and then lash it down to keep it from moving side to side or bouncing.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
That oil pressure gauge is a nice feature! With the oil inside the gauge you can keep an eye on how dirty it is getting. I'd call that a benefit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94