Desert Turtle - M1010 Build

zoomad75

Observer
That's the largest radiator used in a squarebody truck over the duration of the production run from 73-87. It's UUUGE.
It's pretty popular to swap one of them in to maximize cooling capacity in a square regardless of the powerplant under the hood. Those two upper brackets and top plate to cover the big radiator are like gold for that reason. I hunted forever to find the brackets. I found them and stuffed the big radiator into my K5 with a 5.3. Wild overkill for sure, but mine was overheating at 90 degrees ambient temps. With the 6.2 radiator installed my engine rarely creeps over 180 degrees even with the ambient temps over 110.

I love following the build. Keep it up!
 

ExpoMike

Well-known member
More work on the M1010. Installing the Paradox By Design cooling kit. Removed the rear water port plates and installed the new ones that allows the lines to connect to the crossover tube. This will regulate flow from the rear of the block, to balance out the temps through the engine. No pic but also installed the new Speedhut gauges oil sender for my dash setup. Had to lay on top of the engine to install all of this.

0101201121.jpg

0101201121a.jpg

0101201122.jpg

0101201229_HDR.jpg

0101201228_HDR.jpg
 

ExpoMike

Well-known member
More work and more parts coming in. Here was this weekend's progress. I got my fitting adapters in and was able to finish up the Paradox kit install. One thing the Humvee crossover did was to put the bypass port at an angle to the water pump port. There was not way a piece of hose was going to make that bend so I ordered a molded 45* hose and cut it to fit. Worked perfect. I also received my Fluidampr balancer to replace the stock one. Glad I am doing this as after getting the old balancer off, the rubber ring was split and starting to come out. This was age related failure since it only has 15K on the engine. Rubber and 35 years don't play well together. Waiting for my balancer installer to show up, as I didn't have one with a 16x1.5mm thread insert. Also replaced the glow plug relay on the firewall.

Paradox kit finished up

0104201123.jpg

0104201354_HDR.jpg

0105201526.jpg

Removing the old balancer and pic of the new one to be installed

0105201129_HDR.jpg

0105201128a_HDR.jpg

0102201805.jpg

Glow plug relay

0105201429_HDR.jpg

0105201430.jpg

0105201450_HDR.jpg
 
Last edited:

ExpoMike

Well-known member
You were probably lucky to get that amount of time. I've had more than one vehicle where every rubber hose and gasket started failing like clockwork at ~15 years old.
Yeah, the '65 C10 panel truck I just recently sold had a SBC out of a mid 80's car. I couldn't get the timing marks to ever get close even though the engine ran good. Pull the balancer and found the outer ring had spun and darn near spit out all of the rubber ring. Worst I had ever seen.
 

ExpoMike

Well-known member
More work yesterday. My balancer installer came in. I actually used to install the new front seal. Got the balancer installed but still need to torque it. Got the re-cored radiator back and it's nice. Got it installed and then new hoses. I had picked up a NOS lower M1010 specific hose. It has the correct inside spring too. Need to pick up some hose clamps, then fill it up with ELC coolant.

0112200956_HDR.jpg

0112201016_HDR.jpg

0112201124a_HDR.jpg

0109201620.jpg

0112201440_HDR.jpg

0112201509_HDR.jpg

0112201509.jpg

0112201622.jpg

0112201622a.jpg
 

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking upgrades there Mike. I cant wait to see your rig out there in the bush enjoying some good off road time. Cheers, Chilli... 😎
 

ExpoMike

Well-known member
Spent time yesterday modifying the alternator adjusting bracket, since the "Plan B" alts are shaped a little different than factory. You could not rotate them all the way inwards, which made trying to get a belt that was short enough to not max out the adjustment but still be able to go over the pulleys almost impossible. I modified the bracket to extend the adjustment slots and then beefed them up by adding a second stiffing brace. Just need to finish a little clean up and paint it. Should work out well.

0120201133.jpg

0120201221~2.jpg

0120201558.jpg

0120201559.jpg

0120201626.jpg

0120201627_HDR.jpg
 

ExpoMike

Well-known member
Finally finished up the bracket and getting the correct length belts. Filled with ELC coolant and started to purge the system of air. Got the batteries hooked back up and it fired right up. Started with getting wires ran from the new senders to inside the cab so they will be ready to go when I start the gauge panel install.

0125201619_HDR.jpg

0125201619.jpg
 

ExpoMike

Well-known member
Got some free time to start back on my gauge project. Since removing the factory gauges, I lose a few idiot lights that would be important to have. Since I didn't want to just put some LED lights and labels, I was looking for a better option. K-Four switches makes Legend indicators. I bought ones that say Brake, Low Coolant and Four Wheel Drive. Now a place to put them. The M1010 voltage gauge panel has an extra light to indicate the rear door is open. I am not worried about that and this would be a great spot for them. Since the M1008 doesn't have this light, I was able to get a member on Steel Solders to send me this version. Here is how it turned out.

0208201045a.jpg

0208201113.jpg

0208201127_HDR.jpg

0208201434_HDR.jpg
 
Top