DEATH VALLEY RUN - President day weekend

cap510

Adventurer
Hey guys, I was thinking of changing camp spot for Thursday night. I don't believe they allow open fire at Ballarat because there is no assigned camping ground there.
Trona pinnacles apparently allows open fire as long as you use existing pits. you just need to bring your own firewood.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Hey guys, I was thinking of changing camp spot for Thursday night. I don't believe they allow open fire at Ballarat because there is no assigned camping ground there.
Trona pinnacles apparently allows open fire as long as you use existing pits. you just need to bring your own firewood.
Agree and that sounds good. Campfires at night are mandatory IMHO especially since it's winter.

Carlos, I see Friday night has coordinates. We should mark the campsites of each night (including Thursday) on the maps so those who are catching up will know where we'll be that night/morning.

BWickett

Observer
Hey Carlos...

If there is room for one more vehicle, count us in!! We've never been to DV so really looking forward to checking it out. We would be heading out Thursday morning from the bay area.

Brian - bwickett - Jeep Rubicon with 35's and lift. - +1

HAM/Spot tracker/GMRS/Sat phone/CPR cert/recovery gear.

Looking forward to this epic adventure!

Brian

RobRed

Explorer
I'm confirmed coming into the valley.

At this point we are coming to Mojave Thursday night and will be goofing around on Mojave Rd on Friday. We are meeting another friend Saturday morning and coming in to the valley. We will look to meet up with you guys on Saturday night at Furnace Creek if you can make room for a Land Cruiser and a Tundra.

What are the established comm channels for the group? As stated I'm 2m/440 - FRS - GMRS capable. I'll be running APRS during the trip so if you are equipped you can monitor - KJ6EVH.

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Looks like a great trip guys, we may see you on the trail.

One note, and I saw it mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'm pretty sure the NPS frowns upon groups larger than 10 rigs. YMMV.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
I always bring my dog. well, he passed away recently, but I wouldn't ever consider a trip without him. Most of our time will be in the vehicles anyway. He will need to be on a leash, but I always adhered to the "If the ref doesn't see it..." rule. ;)

RobRed

Explorer
From the DVNP website:

Backcountry group size:
• Limited to 15 persons, and/or 15 pack animals, and/or 6 vehicles.
• Larger groups must split up into smaller groups within these limits, and must camp, travel, and eat at least 1/4 mile apart.

Group size limits:
• In standard developed campsites, a maximum of 8 persons and 2 vehicles, unless posted otherwise.
• Furnace Creek Campground group reservation campsites are permitted to have between 9 and 40 persons. The maximum number of vehicles that can be parked at the group locations are 10. No recreation vehicles (trailers, pop-ups etc) can be parked at the site.

I'm sure it will work out.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Carlos and others driving south on thursday, what time are you gonna be leaving?
I'll be leaving after a full day of work so I'm thinking I'll be hitting I-5 @ 8:00pm.

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
From the DVNP website:

Backcountry group size:
• Limited to 15 persons, and/or 15 pack animals, and/or 6 vehicles.
• Larger groups must split up into smaller groups within these limits, and must camp, travel, and eat at least 1/4 mile apart.

Group size limits:
• In standard developed campsites, a maximum of 8 persons and 2 vehicles, unless posted otherwise.
• Furnace Creek Campground group reservation campsites are permitted to have between 9 and 40 persons. The maximum number of vehicles that can be parked at the group locations are 10. No recreation vehicles (trailers, pop-ups etc) can be parked at the site.

I'm sure it will work out.

The bolded part is what we dealt with last time I did a big group run up there. Between the 6 vehicles on the trail rule and the 10 in camp rule we had to split up to stay legal.

Have fun guys, we'll be in the area too until sunday.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Well, my kids can't get out of school on Friday and we have a Volleyball tournament on Saturday. Looks I'm obligated to stay in town until Sunday, and DV is too far away for an overnighter.

I'm thinking of posting up a one day (Sunday) Consolation run for those who can't go to DV with the group...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94