Daily driver tires, suggestions?

2scars

Adventurer
I assumed a more construction related question of difference. Yes they are exclusive to Discount Tire, but I also assumed the poster already knew that....

mapper

Explorer
I think the Firestone Destination AT would be perfect for what you describe. Decent tread for off pavement but with a solid center rib that will really help keep things mild mannered and smooth on the freeway. I have Cooper AT3s on my van, they're grrreeeatt! really nice driving tires. But, I think the Firestone's might have been a better choice for fuel economy reasons with little downside for the places I take the van.

happytraveler

Nokian?

Anybody running Nokian AT tires? Looks like the current model is the Rotiiva.

I had a set of Hakkas (winter tire) on a 2wd truck once and the snow performance was incredible.

bkg

Explorer
Put the AT3's on my Tundra and my wife's 4Runner (Load C, LT respectively). I don't mind them, but they do have a very odd road noise to them; higher pitched than other tires I've used in the past.

ebg18t

Adventurer
I assumed a more construction related question of difference. Yes they are exclusive to Discount Tire, but I also assumed the poster already knew that....

My logic is: General question = general answer : specific question = specific answer
----------------------------
Well according to the regional Cooper guy I spoke with construction and compounds are identical. They were produced to give DT a margin advantage; the DT version bypasses some of the middle man (regional distribution) markup on the non-exclusive version.

Last edited:

JasonRedwood

Explorer
From what I saw online is that the AT3 comes in 10ply, 6ply and 4 ply and I only saw the ATP in 10 ply. The ATP has slightly more of an aggressive look than the AT3.(FWIW)

ebg18t

Adventurer
From what I saw online is that the AT3 comes in 10ply, 6ply and 4 ply and I only saw the ATP in 10 ply. The ATP has slightly more of an aggressive look than the AT3.(FWIW)

That is very possible. I doubt DT would offer every size and ply rating in the ATP. Probably just the basic/most popular combinations.

Beanzermin

Observer
I love my toyo open country AT2's. They handle great on the road even in wet conditions, very minimal road noise, and give me pretty good traction off road. I will definitely buy these tires again

PirateB

I'm running toyo open country at IIs and am very happy with them for highway/back road use and do just fine in the dirt. Havnt used them in the snow yet, so can't comment there--but they seem to be wearing very well.

brasgaucho

Just got the Nokian AT Rotiiva today.
I'll let you know how they perform.
I was between the cooper at3 and the duratracs.

nucktaco

Adventurer
im running a set of BFG KO2's on my 08 tacoma right now. picked them up for $1000 CDN installed with tax. 285/70R17. would definitely recomend them. been great on the highway, FSR's, trails, mud, etc.

not super expensive especially for 33's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior