Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Yea, I noticed it wasn't a fresh, clean break. Kinda scary, could have been worse. Was lucky I was only going about 20mph. Just need to get back on the road right now. In the near future I will inspect the other side when I change those balljoints. Hoping this is just a fluke thing.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’d recommend taking a wire brush to the other and making sure it doesn’t have a big crack in it. Otherwise the next time you won’t be so lucky. I’d hate to see a notice of your obituary. Chances are it won’t be as bad… the right side takes more of a beating. But I wouldn’t pull out onto the interstate without inspecting it.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Putting stuff back together went much smoother than taking them apart. Boy, I really need an impact gun in this rig...

PXL_20210901_145647361 copy.jpg
Well that was convenient. Super, super close was a junkyard that had 5 vans at my disposal. Guy used them for storage, was super nice, and let me take any parts I needed off them for free! Obviously I was on my own for parts removal. I just chose the most accessible van to pillage. I should have checked the odometer on each van and took the ones with the least mileage, oh well.

PXL_20210901_155710784.MP copy.jpg
Made friends with the junkyard dag. Got him some ice cream and we became best friends. Also very easy to remove these parts with no engine in the way.

PXL_20210901_203430084 copy.jpg
"New" control arms and lots of other new parts! These control arms are old, but they were free and I didn't have to wait 2 weeks for cheap ones from China to get.

PXL_20210902_141321598 copy.jpg
New balljoints, tie rods, and sway bar bushings! Van rides better than ever! Steering wheel isn't so straight, but will get a real alignment once I do the driver side balljoints and tie rods. For now, the old tape measure alignment will get me where I gotta go.

PXL_20210902_152134368 copy.jpg
And as a bonus, I found the elusive driver side wheel well that I've been searching for over a year for! This might have made this breakdown worth it! Total cost of breakdown: $155, a couple nights camping in town, some ice cream, and got many free parts received as a bonus. Life is good!

Things I've learned:
Cash is king.
Junkyard dags are mostly bark no bite(might have gotten lucky on this one).
Always carry water even if you think you don't need it as you'll never know when you'll break down and still will need showers(was very dirty everyday, glad to get mostly clean before bed).
There are lots of nice people out there!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’ve bought a like new Mac 500 compressor for $65, and a 1/2” Snap-on impact for $100. The 2000 watt inverter had no problems powering the compressor, which in turn has plenty of air to drive the impact. It’s 575 max reverse torque makes changing tires ridiculously fast… and easy. :D

BTW, The used Mac 700 I tested out tripped the inverter instantly.

Last edited:

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I think I might install one of them 12v air compressor like they use for big air horns. I got plenty of space for permanent mounting of pump and tank stuff. And plenty y of power from the lithium batteries.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I had a high volume 12 v compressor. It was great till the shaft sheered off. I decided to run the next off the inverter rather than pay five times as much for a 12 v with no tank or regulator.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Dang, well you got a really nice deal. After a little bit of research, any which way is expensive unless I can get a used deal. We'll see. It be nice to be able to inflate tires whenever wherever.

screwball48

Explorer
There used to be companies that made kits to convert old AC compressors into air compressors. One of those with a tank may work for you if you have room on the accessory belt that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeblack5

Thank you for your journal.. excellent write up... during our 6 month trip we had many breakdowns ourselves...the feel is familiar and gets old ones in a while but the feeling of victory, satisfaction and independence is good .
Hope you all are safe and the truck is not giving you more problems.

Good luck.
Johan

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
There used to be companies that made kits to convert old AC compressors into air compressors. One of those with a tank may work for you if you have room on the accessory belt that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They do make attachments and air compressors for both the Cummins engine and NV4500 transmission. Both are very expensive. Not sure, we'll see. Project for the fall.

Thank you for your journal.. excellent write up... during our 6 month trip we had many breakdowns ourselves...the feel is familiar and gets old ones in a while but the feeling of victory, satisfaction and independence is good .
Hope you all are safe and the truck is not giving you more problems.

Good luck.
Johan
Yes, someone else who understands the gratification of repairing something on your own and it actually working! Thanks! Rig has been running great! Just waiting for what she has waiting for me down the road...

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
If you are considering onboard air, York A/C compressors are considered to be the way to go. Here’s the first article I came across… and it seems quite good:

That said, a friend gave me one of these 25 years ago, and it’s been working for air ever since on my 4x4. It essentially has no cooling, and over the years I’ve overheated it 2 or 3 times and had it lock up. I’ve ran water over it to cool it off, and it has worked fine since. I later learned that York are better, but since it ain’t broken, I’ve not spent time and money to change it.

Over the years I’ve used various tanks for air compressors. Past date propane tanks are often the easiest to find. The threads into the top are standard right hand thread. I’m currently running twin tanks off a Husky compressor I picked up for $25 on clearance. Next in line is a larger, dive tank sized, fire extinguisher that was empty and being recycled.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Those York compressors are nice! In my last rig I had a pto driven compressor and it was very strong. But I could only use it when parked with engine running and go through a procedure of levers and switches to get it to fire up. I'm leaning towards a 12v system so I can use it parked or while driving, engine on or off. Thinking air horns in the future because nobody can hear the current little rinky dink horn, not even me. I'm sure I can dig up a tank out of the garbage somewhere.

Betarocker

Adventurer
The only reason I'd have an air compressor is to air up tires, or use an air nozzle. Cordless tools are much more versatile. If you've ever tried to change a wheels with a 12v compressor and 5 gallon tank, you could have done the whole vehicle with a 20V cordless gun. Angle grinder, reciprocating saw, drill, impact gun (both 1/2" and 1/4").

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Yes, the main reason I need air is for tires. Those pay to use compressor kiosks at fuel stations are a pain. And most times I need air in much more desolate places. Air horn would be a nice extra thing to have too. Maybe a 12v setup with a little 5 gallon tank is all I need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles