Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
No, I don't think these are pulley issues. The fan is a flimsy piece of plastic, not really thinking that's an issue. This is why I've replaced the pulley bearing assembly. As far as I've heard, this has never happened to anyone else. Very frustrating. At least it's still drive able when pulley fails and it's not the end of the world.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Rig has been running good. Very glad we having coolant system back up and running.

PXL_20210827_144505771 copy.jpg
Chores are still happening like normal. Need to fill water about every two weeks. Glad we opted for the bigger 7 gpm pump.

PXL_20210828_150842855 copy.jpg
You come across the coolest, random things when you travel not using the interstates.

PXL_20210828_150727614 copy.jpg
History is everywhere, you just gotta stop and look.

PXL_20210828_223550873 copy.jpg
Even though our water pump is working great, old girl still got a lil too hot trying to get up and over 11,500 feet. Might install an electric fan?

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
The mechanical fan doesn't really do much right now since it's so far from the radiator. It's been fine, except on those ridiculously long, big hills. I expect many more of those though. I think I need to move the fan closer, which I don't want to do since that will put more stress on the fan pulley. Could rip off the mechanical fan and just run an electric fan. Should help the intercooler out too.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Things are much easier on the other side of the mountains.

PXL_20210829_182720921 copy.jpg
No more hard work for the old girl. She is behaving, that's all I could ask for. She performed well on those big mountain passes.

PXL_20210830_000355528 copy.jpg
During her break from the mountains, she brought me to the geographical center of the United States! Gotta love not driving on the interstates!

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Hmm, that is a great idea! I'll look into it and see if it's possible with minimal effort. The charge pipes for the intercooler I made come very close and are almost in front of the cooling fan.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Another trick I’ve seen is to spray down the rad with water. Taken a step further, a washer pump and nozzles to mist it when it’s getting too hot. It’ll bring the coolant temp down in a hurry. Much like how a swap cooler works :D

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Alternatively a large diameter 7 blade clutch fan or similar. The fan on a E350 with a 7.3 and A/C is plenty big… although you’d loose 5 mph when it engages.

A shroud is a good first step though.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I'll look into the shroud. But the mechanical fan needs to stick out from the engine quite far with spacers, and that puts a lot of strain on parts. I'm still leaning towards removing all that junk and just slapping a big electric fan on there.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Ford Taurus have an excellent, high volume, electric fan that can be got for cheap… I mean an excellent value. The Taurus shroud may even be a decent size for your rad.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'd mount an electric fan in front of the radiator and then make a fan shroud for the mechanical fan. Should go a long way towards keeping it cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94