Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Yes, I've seen his videos. Cool guy. But yes, he gets pulled over quite often. Not a big deal once they realize he actually lives in it and not delivering bread. I've passed by a few weigh stations and have yet to get pulled over. We'll see what happens.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Finishing up the drawers we made.

PXL_20210413_202020612 copy.jpg
After some tweaking, they fit very well. Needed to make some face panels and do lots of corner routing and sanding.

PXL_20210414_165131392 copy.jpg
Once the drawer face panels were made and sanded, we did a polyurethane batch.

PXL_20210423_020938632 copy.jpg
Everything assembled great.

PXL_20210423_020953222 copy.jpg
And drawers pull out so smooth! Still need to figure out drawer organization.

PXL_20210423_021009185 copy.jpg
The big pantry drawers work great too!

PXL_20210423_021038790 copy.jpg
Before we attached the panel faces, we routed all the interior corners of the drawers.

PXL_20210423_021327117 copy.jpg
Here you can see the relief we cut in for the latch. Still need to polyurethane the interior or the drawers, but we used the last of our free gallon can of polyurethane.

PXL_20210423_021149441 copy.jpg
And the sweet hidden drawer slides. To remove drawers, just squeeze orange handles and remove. All in all, each drawer took about 6 hours of labor, but only cost about $5!

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Everybody poops! Right? Well we're going to try to be more civilized about that this time. Going to try to avoid using puns on this subject if I can.

12246809_10100814441086971_3249138331560153785_n.jpg
On our last rig we used a folding bumper dumper I welded out of some scrap unistrut and some random commercial plastic toilet seat. Worked great, except in the winter or in places like Timesquare, NYC. Not our fault, they really should have public restrooms in that city.

PXL_20210425_165844320~2 copy.jpg
So we planned to have a toilet inside, like civilized folk. Lots of research led us to composting toilets. But the ones you can buy are over $1000! Considering we blew our budget on rebuilding the engine, we ended up having to build our own. Under one of the kitchen table seats is where we'll put it. So after we found the proper containers to hold the "goods", we installed the bracing and installed yet another bulkhead fitting.

PXL_20210425_203727466~2 copy.jpg
Once we were happy with everything, we sealed the entire area. You know, in case things don't stay where they are supposed to stay. We wanted low maintenance and easy cleanup.

PXL_20210426_205245961 copy.jpg
Used an old computer fan we had laying around, drilled and tapped the bulkhead to mount fan to, and wired in a switch. The fan will suck out so any smells that do linger, go outside. Everywhere we read said that if you can separate the liquids from the solids, you don't get that sewage smell. But we're not 100% sure on that. Also, airflow will help the compost process.

PXL_20210427_010356444 copy.jpg
The solids go into the big gray container. The liquids go into the small white container. That white container was a real pain to locate. It's a storage container like they use in laboratories. Very good plastic and durable to last many years. Would be terrible if that jug ever leaked. Space was a premium and we wanted something to fit exactly. When the door gets closed, the pee funnel goes right into the opening and seals pretty tight, minimizing the risk of pee not staying in the container. The bracing we installed earlier holds the containers in the perfect spot, every time. We can even store about 6 rolls of toilet paper down here as well. Kinda glad we didn't buy a manufactured compost toilet. This setup is a very efficient use of space.

PXL_20210427_010107569~2 copy.jpg
Here you can see the diverter, separating the solids from the liquids. It even comes with this awesome little piece of removable plastic between the two, in case your aim isn't the best and hits the center. That piece comes off and can easily be cleaned.

PXL_20210329_203417559 copy.jpg
The company is Separett, out of Sweden. Spent more than we wanted to, but it is very well made and can understand why the price was what it is. Apparently, there aren't any American companies in this crappy market. Must be a European thing. Oh well, we found one. And according to the directions on the seat, men have to pee like women do. Again, must be a European thing. :)

PXL_20210427_010040736 copy.jpg
And that is toilet all closed up. The base of the seat is mounted on an angle since the rear of the seat is higher than the front. With the front higher, it is pretty much flush with the wood framing under your thighs when you sit, as to not dig into you uncomfortably. When you close the kitchen table seat on top of the toilet, it sits on top perfect, with zero clearance. Lots of measuring to get that right all around. Behind the toilet we have storage for peat moss/sawdust, which you sprinkle into the toilet after each use. This absorbs moisture and gets the compost process started. Also, you can see the fan switch all mounted up down on the lower right of photo.

PXL_20210415_203310155 copy.jpg
And that last batch of polyurethane we did also included the table. We added oak brackets for the table to sit on.

PXL_20210415_203211337 copy.jpg
And make another bed! It's only 24"x72", so just one person. You lose your kitchen table when someone would sleep here, so this would be used for guests if need be. But this person might have the best bed, especially in the winter. Under the left seat is the electrical cabinet, and the under the right seat is the composting toilet. When both are in use, they produce heat. Heated seats and heated bed! Although you might want to sleep with your head over the electrical cabinet!

Last edited:

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
The heated part only does your head and feet, but those are where you need the heat on cold nights right? What diverter did you end up using?

iggi

Ian
Got one from a place called Johnny Compost. Seems fine in design but it's 3D printed and has a slight texture to it. Not sure if that will be problematic for cleaning or not. Probably a lot less than your imported Swedish unit though.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Oh ok. I ran across designs like that. Passed on it for something I think would be easier to keep clean. I think the Separett was about $130? I originally didn't even want the seat part, but it comes as a kit with hoses and adapters I didn't need. I just needed the diverter, but by the time I went to Home Depot and got a seat to work, I wouldn't have saved any money. So it all worked out in the end.

Texture doesn't sound good. Maybe coat it with something to make it smooth?

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Paint on the toilet stuff is almost dry. Put it on way too thick. In the meantime, lots of other stuff to do.

PXL_20210406_000153470 copy.jpg
The one headlight was aiming wherever it wanted, and that was annoying. Needed some replacement pieces from MillSupply.

PXL_20210406_002049500 copy.jpg
New design came with template and all the appropriate hardware in the kit. Did I mention how awesome MillSupply is?

PXL_20210420_012301382 copy.jpg
Looks just like it came out of the factory! Now we just gotta wait until night to aim it right with the assistance of a phillips head screwdriver.

PXL_20210414_202307824.MP copy.jpg
The cheap shower head that came with the shower faucet box is quite terrible. It lacks water pressure and just dumps large volumes of water out right next to the side of the van. We tried it once. Was nice and warm, but you had to get so close to the side of the van it looks like you were giving it a lap dance! Not having a shower curtain was inappropriate enough, this was just ridiculous.

PXL_20210414_202228790.MP copy.jpg
Lots of research to find a replacement. Ended up with an Ecocamel. Does something where it infuses air into the water to create more water pressure without actually using more water.

PXL_20210414_141634837 copy.jpg
And screwing the hose on and off every time was getting annoying too. So we decided to add some quick disconnects. These will come in handy especially once we get the hot tub setup complete. But of course things don't workout the way you hope and you end up having to make your own stuff.

PXL_20210414_142055549 copy.jpg
The brass quick connects are for garden hose threads. The shower hose is 1/2" NPT, so we got some silver solder and a brass nipple and made it work.

PXL_20210429_143337679 copy.jpg
As you can see there wasn't much clearance in the there to screw on the hose. So we added an elbow fitting. Because of the quick disconnect, we can easily attach a regular garden hose and use the shower for other stuff, like hosing off gear, or dags, or filling a hot tub!

PXL_20210410_195804691 copy.jpg
And completed our first side project with the van. Had to rewire an old sewing machine. Did it in the parking lot of a state park. Feels good to be off the grid and self reliant. It's nice to have all the tools and space inside to repair things.

PXL_20210410_213901834.MP copy.jpg
Also super nice to have running water. It's the little things in life...

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Paint on the toilet stuff is almost dry. Put it on way too thick. In the meantime, lots of other stuff to do.

View attachment 657921
The one headlight was aiming wherever it wanted, and that was annoying. Needed some replacement pieces from MillSupply.

View attachment 657922
New design came with template and all the appropriate hardware in the kit. Did I mention how awesome MillSupply is?

View attachment 657923
Looks just like it came out of the factory! Now we just gotta wait until night to aim it right with the assistance of a phillips head screwdriver.

View attachment 657926
The cheap shower head that came with the shower faucet box is quite terrible. It lacks water pressure and just dumps large volumes of water out right next to the side of the van. We tried it once. Was nice and warm, but you had to get so close to the side of the van it looks like you were giving it a lap dance! Not having a shower curtain was inappropriate enough, this was just ridiculous.

View attachment 657927
Lots of research to find a replacement. Ended up with an Ecocamel. Does something where it infuses air into the water to create more water pressure without actually using more water.

View attachment 657931
And screwing the hose on and off every time was getting annoying too. So we decided to add some quick disconnects. These will come in handy especially once we get the hot tub setup complete. But of course things don't workout the way you hope and you end up having to make your own stuff.

View attachment 657932
The brass quick connects are for garden hose threads. The shower hose is 1/2" NPT, so we got some silver solder and a brass nipple and made it work.

View attachment 657941
As you can see there wasn't much clearance in the there to screw on the hose. So we added an elbow fitting. Because of the quick disconnect, we can easily attach a regular garden hose and use the shower for other stuff, like hosing off gear, or dags, or filling a hot tub!

View attachment 657942
And completed our first side project with the van. Had to rewire an old sewing machine. Did it in the parking lot of a state park. Feels good to be off the grid and self reliant. It's nice to have all the tools and space inside to repair things.

View attachment 657958
Also super nice to have running water. It's the little things in life...

I pulled out a sewing machine on a school camping trip and made my “bulkhead” curtain. I had told one of the other dads I was going to sew a curtain... the looks on peoples faces when I put the sewing machine down on the table and plugged it into the truck was priceless :D

I was accused of being somewhat of a workaholic... but I saw it as a perfect opportunity to finish a few small things that I could never find time to get to. And yes... sitting around for four days with nothing to do seemed like a good time to shorten the curtain and wire in the solar panel. The bonus was I had no shore power for 4 days, so the solar helped to keep the fridge cold.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Sewing is a great skill that everyone should have. And no, it's not a woman's job. Man up and learn how to sew stuff! I was probably the only boy in home economics class that actually paid attention and used them machines. Now I find myself fixing them, and gee willy are they the most complicated mechanical thing I've ever gotten my hands into!

Oh, it must have felt so good to plug in and have power. Not much is more satisfying than being off the grid and self sufficient like that. Keep it up!

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Building some more stuff, testing out some other systems. Having solar and power all the time is great! We don't even plug into extension cords anymore.

PXL_20210415_135214456 copy.jpg
The last coat of polyurethane on the futon is all done. Now just need to make some cushions that fit really good. Need to make two so that the seatbelt can come up and through between the cushions.

PXL_20210415_183617151 copy.jpg
Decided to build a closet in this weird space next to the sink that was originally saved in case we wanted the shower inside the rig. We love showering outside, so yay, more useful storage space!

PXL_20210415_193437514 copy.jpg
Got carried away with making things as lightweight and strong as possible.

PXL_20210415_194232782 copy.jpg
Not bad use of all that scrap wood. Each shelf has a small lip built into it to keep totes from sliding off.

PXL_20210429_143232993 copy.jpg
Got this oldschool clothes hanger slider rack thing. Need more big wooden hangers.

PXL_20210415_214848990 copy.jpg
And there we go. Plenty of space to store a variety of things. Over time, things will all find their own place.

PXL_20210416_232801287 copy.jpg
At a friends house. Climbed a tree to get a cool shot of the roof. Solar panels are working great!

PXL_20210416_221326653.MP copy.jpg
So great, we can use our new induction stovetop! We got it 40% off because it was an Amazon return or something. Had no idea that was an option on some items. No more nasty gas fumes and heats up so fast without heating up the interior living space!

Screenshot_20210330-174146 copy.jpg
So the first few days of the solar up and running was spent bulk charging the batteries since they have been sitting since last July. The one day bulk charged 100ah into the battery bank! I think that's pretty good for a 600w solar array? Only averaging 300w out of it, but can't expect to get close to 600w. This Victron equipment is very nice! So glad we went with the Bluetooth monitoring. Lots of cool data wouldn't normally have access to. And the build quality on the physical components is top notch too.

Last edited:

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Took a little overnight break from the grind and tested some more stuff out.

PXL_20210417_121018055 copy.jpg
Attempted the whole "stealth" thing and camped next to the beach. Not so sure how we feel about the stealth thing. It was obvious to us that the white van in front of us was also "stealth camping". Regardless, we had a nice sunrise over the ocean.

PXL_20210418_004759649.MP copy.jpg
It was dark when we parked. It was taco Tuesday! So we made a nice spread cooking on the induction cooktop to sautee some garlic onions squash, rice in the microwave, and we needed a backpacking stove to cook the beans and corn. Maybe we need a second induction cooktop? Or maybe I was thinking one of those instantpot things because I think you can boil stuff in them as well? One thing we do need is a can opener. We had to open up them cans with a hammer and a screwdriver!

PXL_20210418_011214837.MP copy.jpg
Oh my, so good! We made lots of leftovers, but that's ok, because we just threw it in the fridge!

PXL_20210418_104552181 copy.jpg
In the morning we got to use the electric waffle iron!

Screenshot_20210420-092050 copy.jpg
Now the solar panels are working hard! Using all that electricity to cook dinner and breakfast really did a number. Dinner took about 20% of our batteries and breakfast took about 15%. Everything is good, took a day or two to charge back up to 100%. We could have charged it faster by turning on the dc to dc charger off the alternator while driving, but we really wanted to test out the solar. What I'm really surprised is that the one day we got 558w out of the solar panels at some point! MPPT charge controllers are the way to go. Also, this Victron stuff is addictive with the bluetooth app.

PXL_20210421_021549174 copy.jpg
Now that the exciting solar stuff is over, back to work. Got all the corner trim done inside the rig. Everything looks better with trim. Metal trim looks good and offers lots of protection.

PXL_20210427_021211879 copy.jpg
Also got a combination smoke/CO detector installed. Hopefully it's far enough from the kitchen where it won't be going off all the time. Haha, in reality the entire van is a kitchen. Was going to throw it up on the ceiling but choose not to last minute because of possible false alarms. We're mostly worried about the CO while we're sleeping and the diesel hydronic heater running. This spot should be a good compromise about 20" down from the ceiling. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne