Crux Expedition Trailers in Denver CO.

bshinn

Tomato/Tomoto,

You either spend time unfolding the tent or unpacking the teardrop. I considered the teardrop/squaredrop option, but any of the ones available on the market now that I feel would hold up as well as the Crux cost twice as much.

Having said that, I'll probably go that route eventually. I'm in my 50's and climbing up into the tent is becoming a PITA.

RonC

I just bought a Crux 2700. Love the design. I will say communication with the manufacturer has been limited at best and my first email to them took three weeks for a response. Piss poor service in that case.. So I am not real certain if this was a good decision. I have yet to shake it out with a trip. My last email is at three days waiting for something and counting. Wish me luck.

tacoma870

My wife and I recently got a crux 1610 (5 months ago) and feel like we now have a good idea of the pro's and con's of the trailer. We probably have close to 30 nights in the trailer at this point.

The pro's: the trailer is rugged and sturdy. The suspension, frame, box, and drawers all feel sturdy and well built. We've taken it on some really rough trails (think 2 hours to cover 12 miles) and the trailer held up great. The drawer slides, water pump, water tank, and all small moving parts seem to be doing great. The tent is simple and easy to set up, and the updated electrical on the 1610 (over the 1600) seems to be well thought out and managed properly. I consider price when factoring in all of these items, and the crux1610 gives a significant value over other trailers.

The con's: the quality control and fit and finish leave something to be desired. For instance, the magnesium galvanizing they do over the frame is sloppy and ugly. My trailer came with no grease in the poly block hitch, which caused it to seize up on the drive home from the dealer. I had to pump it full of an entire tube of grease to get it to move again. The rack which comes on the trailer is a pain in the butt. Ours was bent when we picked it up, and can't be put back into traveling position without two people because it binds. The dealership made this sound like it wouldn't be a big deal to fix, but here we are five months later with no solution. We honestly may take the rack off as we don't use it, and it gets in the way of accessing the passenger side of the trailer when it is in the upright position. Our tent recently tore some stitching when exposed to some really windy conditions. Shouldn't be a big issue to fix, but still annoying. The annex is a pain to set up. Support and warranty issues from crux is sparse at best.

Things we would improve:
-the sink needs to have a handle or knob to turn the water on and off. Currently it operates by moving the actual spout up and down, but this gets in the way if you have dishes in the sink. Which is counterproductive.
- To use the stove, you have to remove the propane cylinder from the trailer and place it next to the stove because the supplied hosing isn't long enough. We have modified this with extended hose and quick disconnects.
-there needs to be an option to mount a pole system if you want to mount your own awning (like an ARB, etc) similar to what tuff stuff trailers, turtle back trailers, or patriot campers use. We will probably rig up something in the future.

Hope that helps everyone out. If we had to do it again, we would highly consider a hard sided trailer such as a social teardrop. For us, windy cold nights can be uncomfortable in the tent. Also, the supplied rain fly whips like crazy in the wind and is extremely annoying. Take if off, it's not needed. However, for the price the crux1610 can't be beat. If you weigh price with features, and are willing to put up with a couple annoyances, the 1610 is the way to go. We are planning to right up a detailed review and description of the trailer including pictures and videos in the future. Just waiting to see how this warranty stuff plays out.

Rlemond

My wife and I recently got a crux 1610 (5 months ago) and feel like we now have a good idea of the pro's and con's of the trailer. We probably have close to 30 nights in the trailer at this point.

The pro's: the trailer is rugged and sturdy. The suspension, frame, box, and drawers all feel sturdy and well built. We've taken it on some really rough trails (think 2 hours to cover 12 miles) and the trailer held up great. The drawer slides, water pump, water tank, and all small moving parts seem to be doing great. The tent is simple and easy to set up, and the updated electrical on the 1610 (over the 1600) seems to be well thought out and managed properly. I consider price when factoring in all of these items, and the crux1610 gives a significant value over other trailers.

The con's: the quality control and fit and finish leave something to be desired. For instance, the magnesium galvanizing they do over the frame is sloppy and ugly. My trailer came with no grease in the poly block hitch, which caused it to seize up on the drive home from the dealer. I had to pump it full of an entire tube of grease to get it to move again. The rack which comes on the trailer is a pain in the butt. Ours was bent when we picked it up, and can't be put back into traveling position without two people because it binds. The dealership made this sound like it wouldn't be a big deal to fix, but here we are five months later with no solution. We honestly may take the rack off as we don't use it, and it gets in the way of accessing the passenger side of the trailer when it is in the upright position. Our tent recently tore some stitching when exposed to some really windy conditions. Shouldn't be a big issue to fix, but still annoying. The annex is a pain to set up. Support and warranty issues from crux is sparse at best.

Things we would improve:
-the sink needs to have a handle or knob to turn the water on and off. Currently it operates by moving the actual spout up and down, but this gets in the way if you have dishes in the sink. Which is counterproductive.
- To use the stove, you have to remove the propane cylinder from the trailer and place it next to the stove because the supplied hosing isn't long enough. We have modified this with extended hose and quick disconnects.
-there needs to be an option to mount a pole system if you want to mount your own awning (like an ARB, etc) similar to what tuff stuff trailers, turtle back trailers, or patriot campers use. We will probably rig up something in the future.

Hope that helps everyone out. If we had to do it again, we would highly consider a hard sided trailer such as a social teardrop. For us, windy cold nights can be uncomfortable in the tent. Also, the supplied rain fly whips like crazy in the wind and is extremely annoying. Take if off, it's not needed. However, for the price the crux1610 can't be beat. If you weigh price with features, and are willing to put up with a couple annoyances, the 1610 is the way to go. We are planning to right up a detailed review and description of the trailer including pictures and videos in the future. Just waiting to see how this warranty stuff plays out.
Thank you for the reply.

tacoma870

Overall I'm happy with mine, still kind of early but I've had it out 4 times.
I have not had any issues with the build quality and it has allot of features for the price in comparison to the others I considered.
The main reason I went with it was what you get for the price in comparison to the other similar options.
I also really liked all the storage built in, I have it all organized and loaded, just add food to the fridge and we are out.

I ended up taking the top rack off, it was difficult to open and close on my own, if you always have someone to help then it would be less of a problem.
The other issue with the rack, if you store all your bedding in the tent, the rack is very difficult to get closed around it. The tent bag is large, I have king size sleeping bag, king size comforter and 4 pillows up there.
Fits fine, just can't close the rack around it.
The other complaint is the fridge access through the tent.
Really not a problem but if you are frequently in and out of it, it can get kind of annoying to open the tent/door/slide multiple times.
So I leave it open during meal time, this summer when I get up into mosquito land I'm not sure how well that will work out. Maybe add some netting around it?
I have considered rotating the tent 90 degrees to eliminate the issue.
I have not built the annex room, that is allot of poles and fabric, adds allot of space but for 3 of us it will probably never be needed.
Only thing I would like to add is a slide out awning over the driver side, the annex has one but so many poles...
I'm going to build a awning bracket onto what's left of the removed top rack.

Palpatine, would you mind sharing some of your ideas on how to mount an awning using the rack attachments on the drivers side. We're thinking about taking off our rack as well. It's just a PITA.

Palpatine

Palpatine, would you mind sharing some of your ideas on how to mount an awning using the rack attachments on the drivers side. We're thinking about taking off our rack as well. It's just a PITA.
Right now it’s still in the planning stage, when I get to a functional design I will post it here with pics.
In the middle of a home sale/purchase so it will probably be a few weeks before I can focus on it.

I agree with your comments above, the rain fly is noisy in wind, had not considered taking it off.
I added a propane on demand water heater, triton or whatever the brand is most people buy.
I mounted the spray head to a magnet and stick it to the door above the sink, turn it on and off with the pump switch right there on the trailer.
Generally, very happy with that compared to the always on faucet. I run the heater at low flow and I make my water tank last longer that way also. Added a longer hose to the stove and put a tee on the propane tank to connect stove and water heater at same time.
I have the water heater in a pelican case, thinking of mounting it but for now I just open it and set it on the ground by the sink.

Some minor annoyances but for the price I'm happy with the trailer.
I've banged it down some pretty hard trails without issue.
Also stayed at an RV park where everyone that walked by had to stop and check it out. They are so used to big RV's and travel trailers they don't know what to make of it.
It definitely becomes a conversation piece.
Considered a tear drop but liked the storage and space on this, with the 3 of us we sleep great upstairs and room to throw a cot or two downstairs if the daughter brings along friends.
The whole goal for me was to get out more around the US and camp and so far its doing that.

bshinn

Right now it’s still in the planning stage, when I get to a functional design I will post it here with pics.
In the middle of a home sale/purchase so it will probably be a few weeks before I can focus on it.

I agree with your comments above, the rain fly is noisy in wind, had not considered taking it off.
I added a propane on demand water heater, triton or whatever the brand is most people buy.
I mounted the spray head to a magnet and stick it to the door above the sink, turn it on and off with the pump switch right there on the trailer.
Generally, very happy with that compared to the always on faucet. I run the heater at low flow and I make my water tank last longer that way also. Added a longer hose to the stove and put a tee on the propane tank to connect stove and water heater at same time.
I have the water heater in a pelican case, thinking of mounting it but for now I just open it and set it on the ground by the sink.

Some minor annoyances but for the price I'm happy with the trailer.
I've banged it down some pretty hard trails without issue.
Also stayed at an RV park where everyone that walked by had to stop and check it out. They are so used to big RV's and travel trailers they don't know what to make of it.
It definitely becomes a conversation piece.
Considered a tear drop but liked the storage and space on this, with the 3 of us we sleep great upstairs and room to throw a cot or two downstairs if the daughter brings along friends.
The whole goal for me was to get out more around the US and camp and so far its doing that.
You're dead on point about the RV campgrounds, the thing attracts more attention than a big 5th wheel or Class A pusher!

bshinn

Things we would improve:

If my year of ownership is any indication, you can forget about Support or Warranty.

Realdeal63

I have an opportunity to by a 2019 Crux 1600 that looks to be in like new condition. In researching these, it looks like Crux went out of business. Anyone have any insight here? What was the 1600 priced at new?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles