CRAP!

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
So it is a retread, and a 3% failure rate is way too high.
FYI, Treadwright's FAQ says airing down tires will void the warranty.

darien

Observer
Well, I'll never touch them now. I've considered a set and twice came close to actual purchase, but I'll find someplace else to save money.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Glad you and your truck are ok! And thanks for posting those links, I actually had no idea that could happen out of the blue and cause that much damage :-o. I'll be checking my BFG's extra close now.

It's not limited to BFG or Treadwrite. I had the tread completely separate on a Dunlop (IIRC) while I was going about 65mph down the freeway - pulling a trailer with my Jeep on it. Google later revealed that I wasn't the only one that had one of that brand/size/model separate on the freeway.

$3,000 worth of damage to the truck (replaced the drivers side of the bed & a couple other bits).

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
my old boss decided to put retreads on the front of our one ton dump, within a week they developed a real nasty bubble, and on the way back from a delivery i lost the tread and she blew out, luckily i knew it was gonna go from all the vibration and noise and had slowed to about 30mph right before it went

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
idk if it is here or not but it is highly frowned upon, but thats the type of company i worked for, he claimed he didn't know they were retreads, it was obvious because you could tell the tread looked like a cap on the tire and the dead give away was they were two different side walls with the same tread on both tires, was also fortunate i was only a mile from the shop and it blew right in front of a co-workers house so i just pulled it into his driveway, i could tell it was gonna go at that point so i had slowed it down

in one summer i dropped the clutch twice, had a flat, and lost the drive shaft on the same truck, scary thing is i did 80 mph down the turnpike with 6 yds of mulch before all this happened, idk what the heck i was thinkin

EXP-T100

Adventurer
Lucky you didn't have a load and speed going! It is illegal to run retreads on the steering axle(s) of commercial vehicles here in BC.

Its illegal in the states as well for commercial vehicles to run retreads on a steering axle but most 18 wheelers run them on the other 16 wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online