Cooper ST/Maxx or tried and true BFG All Terrains

Bretthn

Explorer
So far I love them on the road. I have not had them in the dirt yet. They are heavy. But I have not noticed much of a difference in power and braking. I haven't had them off the pavement yet but am expecting them to do well when I do.
My last set of tires on my Jeep WJ were Terra Grapplers which I liked too.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I have a friend with these same tires on his Land Cruiser...similar to your Lexus. He previously had Duratracks and split 3 sidewalls in a few months while aired down. He is a very skilled wheeler and was not happy at all with the Duratracks...even though I think they warrantied the first 2. He is very much in love with his new Coopers...he said the difference off road and aired down is like night and day. It is now a "Tank" he tells me and will go anywhere. I only rode in it on the road and some FSR and they felt great and were about as loud as my Hankook RT03 MT's (also an excellent tire).

I think you made a really good choice, and these are likely my next tires too!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have a friend with these same tires on his Land Cruiser. He previously had Duratracks and split 3 sidewalls in a few months while aired down. He is a very skilled wheeler and was not happy at all with the Duratracks...even though I think they warrantied the first 2.

You must be talking about "asutherland". I wheeled with him and Cam (slow and steady) out past Sooke one weekend. The Duracraps were still a hot topic with him as they were quite new, but one had already failed. Cam had just bought his MTRs and his BJ was going everywhere Andrews double locked rig went with open difs!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Hmmm... not sure what his forum name is on here.... but that is so close to his real name it must be Andrew. lol Yeah, he curses the Duratracks, maybe they are better on a lighter vehicle? His were...not great. The Coopers look awesome, such a beefy tire. Another buddy has a set on his Land Cruiser, another Japanese import. He also is very happy, and the price he got them for was really good.

Small world.

:)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Coffee with Andrew, his father in law and Cam in Sooke. The Duracraps are on Andrews (middle rig, MTRKs on Cams, and Nittos on my 80 in the back). I figured a pic with tires in it would be fitting...

image_zpse2135010.jpg

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
i have the st maxx on my wj, nothing bad to say about them at all, well except that the 10 plys ride pretty hard on a light vehicle, the rocks put some pretty decent grooves in them but nothing too bad

IMG_1152.jpg

DSCN3198.JPG

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
How are these holding up now that you've all had them on for a while? Read a review that the tires caused a truck to pull to one side. Anybody notice what seems to be an alignment problem with them? Tread on my duratracs is getting low - like the idea of an aggressive at tread that has a tougher casing.

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Like em

I've had mine for over 6 months and a little over 6000 miles. So far so good. Their road manners are great. I've had them off-road in all kinds of terrain and they've done good. I got stuck in the mud out on Crowley lake, but I don't think any tire would have gotten me out of that crap. They are relatively quiet, the only time that I notice the hum is when I'm running on the freeway with the windows down. My normal off road terrain is the rough rocks out here in the Mojave and no problems out there...Knock on wood. They seem to be wearing pretty good. Hopefully I can get at least 40,000 miles out of them.

Bretthn

Explorer
I love them. I am at about 5,000 miles and about to do my first rotation.
I have heard a lot of people say the sidewalls are too stiff and offer no flex even at lower pressures. Here is 18 psi.

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Thanks for the update. Good looking truck and you've gotta love an RTT! Do the tires seem to hold their own on the group rides that you've been on?

Last edited:

Bretthn

Explorer
Thanks for the update. Good looking truck and you've gotta love an RTT! Do the tires seem to hold their own on the group rides that you've been on?
These tires definitely hold their own. I have found nothing to complain about yet. Hopefully I will get to try them in some snow soon.

01tundra

Explorer
This thread has pretty much sealed the deal for me, the Duratracs are a little over 50k miles and are so loud now it's hard to hold a conversation on the interstate.......

I'll be ordering the Cooper's for my Tacoma & FJ in the near future.

Thanks for the updates :sombrero:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles