Compressor for scuba tank

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Can't all cylinders can be tested and recertified forever? I once got an oxygen cylinder, supposedly one of the surplus Nazi ones with a windowed swastika, with a first test of 1932. Its neck must have been re-stamped a dozen times.
Composite tanks have an expiration date and can not be re-certified.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I wish people would do some real world research before making false statements. This is simply not true. I just got a 4500lb Scott composite tank recertified.
I suspect that your bottle is still within the useable shelf life.
All the Scott bottles do indeed go through annual testing as well as hydrostatic retesting. Scott composite tanks have a "shelf life maximum of 15 years". This is from the date on the bottle:
bottle.jpg

This bottle can no longer be re-certified for use and can no longer be refilled.
Scott has since produced some carbon fiber composite bottles with an extended service life of 30 years.

Just wanted everyone to be careful. There are lots and lots of these old surplussed composite bottles still around. Know if it can be refilled before you buy one.
Cut the bottom off and make a lamp or bell out of the expired bottles. :)

BTW, this bottle and the other couple I have come from my department . I have been there long enough that I was here when they went into service and helped replace all of them. :)

CampStewart

Observer
I suspect that your bottle is still within the useable shelf life.
All the Scott bottles do indeed go through annual testing as well as hydrostatic retesting. Scott composite tanks have a "shelf life maximum of 15 years". This is from the date on the bottle:
bottle.jpg

This bottle can no longer be re-certified for use and can no longer be refilled.
Scott has since produced some carbon fiber composite bottles with an extended service life of 30 years.

Just wanted everyone to be careful. There are lots and lots of these old surplussed composite bottles still around. Know if it can be refilled before you buy one.
Cut the bottom off and make a lamp or bell out of the expired bottles. :)

BTW, this bottle and the other couple I have come from my department . I have been there long enough that I was here when they went into service and helped replace all of them. :)
I am unfamiliar with the Annual test for Scott bottles you speak of, can you provide some more infore information regarding it? I consider the entire premise of mobile charging of these tanks as impractical but if someone is still interested and incredibly patient you should look into "shoebox compressor"

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I am unfamiliar with the Annual test for Scott bottles you speak of, can you provide some more infore information regarding it? I consider the entire premise of mobile charging of these tanks as impractical but if someone is still interested and incredibly patient you should look into "shoebox compressor"
Annually the technician tests the regulator, HUD, alarm, valve, seals and gauge as well as inspecting the bottle for damage. Every fifth year the bottle is hydrotested.

All our department looks for when filling bottles from outside sources is a current hydrotest date. Those can be renewed until the bottle is end of life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online