Colorado Duramax thread

Clutch

<---Pass
Dang, not much of a difference there. It kind of reaffirms my personal view that it makes sense to either go ultra-light and compact with a midsized platform (Tacoma, Colorado) or go all out with a 3/4 ton.

Or go ultra light with a 1/2 ton over a midsize, get a bigger cab, more power, roughly the same mileage, and often can be had cheaper than a midsize.

Ford I know has a payload upgrade package for the F-150...I wish more OEM's would offer that.

Nissan Titan XD. I didn't like them at first...now that I actually went and saw one in person...not bad....and especially you can find some great deals on them...not bad at all, can get a lot of truck for a decent price. I found a RCLB for $25K....pretty damn hard to find a V8 4WD for that. Hell, can't even find a Midsize V6 4WD for that.

Last edited:

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Or go ultra light with a 1/2 ton over a midsize, get a bigger cab, more power, roughly the same mileage, and often can be had cheaper than a midsize.

Bingo + a wider bed which is great for dropping in a cot and some sort of cover. I was getting 11.4L/100kms with my RC/SB with an awning mounted.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yeah, I understand that you can option some of these 1/2 ton's have payloads of 2k lbs or higher. But when you account for the way most of these trucks are actually optioned (4wd, smaller bed, ect.) the payloads are limited to around 1.5k-1.6k lbs, which is pretty neutered especially when you consider what some midsized trucks are rated to carry here and overseas.
Colorado 3.6L V6, Crew Cab, standard box, ZR2
Curb is 4,758 lbs
GVWR is 6,000 lbs
Payload is 1,242 lbs

Silverado 1500, Crew Cab, short box, 5.3L V8, 4WD
Curb is 5,461 lbs
GVWR is 7,200 lbs
Payload is 1,739 lbs

Hilux SR5 4WD, 1GR-FE, Double Cab
Curb is 4,409 lbs
GVWR is 6,613 lbs
Payload is 2,204 lbs

DaveInDenver

Different strokes. I'm not after the biggest or mostest numbers. The reasons I picked a compact in the first are still true, I just don't need a full size for anything and a small(er) truck just works for us. The lbs (or inches) per dollar metric doesn't solve fitting in a garage or parking space, down a trail or whatever. You can rationalize it all day but it just doesn't matter, I came to a different conclusion (albeit a compromise one seeing that the Tacoma is actually bigger than I really want).

Clutch

<---Pass
Different strokes. I'm not after the biggest or mostest numbers. The reasons I picked a compact in the first are still true, I just don't need a full size for anything and a small(er) truck just works for us. The lbs (or inches) per dollar metric doesn't solve fitting in a garage or parking space, down a trail or whatever. You can rationalize it all day but it just doesn't matter, I came to a different conclusion (albeit a compromise one seeing that the Tacoma is actually bigger than I really want).

I am not really into biggest and bestest either (can really do without that whole pissing match)...but I do like to see what else I can buy for the same amount (or less) dollars. Price point of $35-40K gives you a lot of choices. And honestly I don't want to even pay that....other than the 8' bed, only reason I look at trucks like the Titan is price, deep cuts on those right now. $20K buys you a brand new Titan....or a used Tacoma with 100K on the clock. Toyota isn't selling the configuration I want for the price I want to pay.

So with that....don't really see any clear advantage of a midsize over a 1/2 ton these days. I don't park in a garage...and when I did, our old one that we built was pretty big, fit a F250, Jeep Wagoneer, lawn tractor, ATV, couple dirt bikes, coffin freezer...plus had a workshop too. Parking...easy...have a pretty big parking lots at work, I am not much for doing the down town drunken assjackery thing anymores either...but I find Boise is easy to get around and park, probably more fullsize trucks driving around here than anything else. We joke it is the "Land of the Truck". Trails...all relative. Can't really touch where a dirt bike can go. And that is what trucks are for, hauling the trail toys, yeah they are nice for exploring but mainly used as a gear hauler. Love love love my Tacoma, but there are times I wish it was a little bigger. All that dirt bike crap takes up a lot of room.

Dalko might be right, just skip over the 1/2 tons and get a 3/4-1 Ton. I have been looking at used Alaskans...kinda miss an 8' bed too.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Yeah, I understand that you can option some of these 1/2 ton's have payloads of 2k lbs or higher. But when you account for the way most of these trucks are actually optioned (4wd, smaller bed, ect.) the payloads are limited to around 1.5k-1.6k lbs, which is pretty neutered especially when you consider what some midsized trucks are rated to carry here and overseas.
Colorado 3.6L V6, Crew Cab, standard box, ZR2
Curb is 4,758 lbs
GVWR is 6,000 lbs
Payload is 1,242 lbs

Silverado 1500, Crew Cab, short box, 5.3L V8, 4WD
Curb is 5,461 lbs
GVWR is 7,200 lbs
Payload is 1,739 lbs

Hilux SR5 4WD, 1GR-FE, Double Cab
Curb is 4,409 lbs
GVWR is 6,613 lbs
Payload is 2,204 lbs

Non zr2 Colorado’s have a slightly higher payload, as do certain Tacoma’s.

The difference between those and he 1.7k of the Silverado isn’t all that great is my point.

Overseas markets do get more HD mid sized pickups. But also keep in mind they have different safety standards.

A hilux would not be my first choice for carrying 1 ton, regardless of how Toyota rates them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Ford I know has a payload upgrade package for the F-150...I wish more OEM's would offer that.
Non zr2 Colorado’s have a slightly higher payload, as do certain Tacoma’s.

The difference between those and he 1.7k of the Silverado isn’t all that great is my point.
WT grade Colorado, Crew Cab, 3.6L
Curb: 4,419 lbs
GVWR: 6,000 lbs
Payload: 1,581 lbs

Silverado Crew Cab, 5.3L, short box with HD package
Curb: 5,461 lbs
GVWR: 7,600 lbs
Payload: 2,139 lbs
Dalko43 said:
Overseas markets do get more HD mid sized pickups. But also keep in mind they have different safety standards.

A hilux would not be my first choice for carrying 1 ton, regardless of how Toyota rates them.
So 2,000 lbs payload is too much for midsize truck. But we're unhappy that they only have 1,200 or 1,500 lbs? So what we want Toyota and Ford and Chevy to do is build us a 1 ton truck, sell it to us for the price of a 1/2 ton and use it like a 3/4 ton. While making it easy to parallel park in Manhattan, get 25 MPG and have space for 4 adults in the cab. Seems easy enough.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
WT grade Colorado, Crew Cab, 3.6L
Curb: 4,419 lbs
GVWR: 6,000 lbs
Payload: 1,581 lbs

Silverado Crew Cab, 5.3L, short box with HD package
Curb: 5,461 lbs
GVWR: 7,600 lbs
Payload: 2,139 lbs

I think you're being a little selective with your examples there. Go look at the max payload for Ram 1500's and Tundra's with v8 engines and 4wd and double cabs....they're generally around 1.4k-1.6k payload ratings depending on the configuration and engine choice. That's not much different from some of the midsized trucks.

GM and Ford offer packages which allow for higher payloads...I applaud them for that, I just wish other OEM's would follow suit.

So 2,000 lbs payload is too much for midsize truck. But we're unhappy that they only have 1,200 or 1,500 lbs? So what we want Toyota and Ford and Chevy to do is build us a 1 ton truck, sell it to us for the price of a 1/2 ton and use it like a 3/4 ton. While making it easy to parallel park in Manhattan, get 25 MPG and have space for 4 adults in the cab. Seems easy enough.

Nope, what I'm saying is that there should be a bigger payload difference between a 1/2 ton and midsized truck. If I'm getting to spend more money on a bigger vehicle with a more powerful engine, there should be a corresponding payload advantage. Ford and GM 1/2 tons evidently allow for this; other 1/2 tons don't.

Clutch

<---Pass
[/quote=DaveInDenver]

So 2,000 lbs payload is too much for midsize truck. But we're unhappy that they only have 1,200 or 1,500 lbs? So what we want Toyota and Ford and Chevy to do is build us a 1 ton truck, sell it to us for the price of a 1/2 ton and use it like a 3/4 ton. While making it easy to parallel park in Manhattan, get 25 MPG and have space for 4 adults in the cab. Seems easy enough.[/QUOTE]

Checked all the boxes except price

Toyota-LC70-Dual-Cab-Ute.jpg

DaveInDenver

I think you're being a little selective with your examples there.
I'm trying to understand what you're after. I posted "typical" trucks you'd see at a dealer but that wasn't right so I picked work trucks but that's not right either. Just trying to show that a Colorado chassis is apparently built for 6,000 lbs GVW and the 1500 is a 7,600 lbs. The base weight of the 1/2 ton appears to be about 500 to 1000 lbs heavier depending on cab and wheel base of course. Then how you configure and option it eats up your actual payload. I don't think anyone is surprised that a compact truck that has grown up into midsize that's now 80% as big as a full size has about 80% of the capacity.

Anyway, found this.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...its/Chevrolet-Trucks/1986-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf

Just to pick (and I hope I pick an acceptable one). The K10 5.0L V8 auto 4x4 (say model K10703) has a GVWR of 6100 lbs and appears to weigh 4,490 lbs so that means a payload of 1,610 lbs. But you can configure a 2WD, 4.3L V6 and that's got a curb weight of 3,432 lbs. The GVWR looks to vary by axle ratio so the payload ranges from 1,768 up to 2,668 lbs. But I would argue a 2WD, regular cab, V6, stick shift base truck isn't something you'd bounce around off pavement. I dunno what it means but @Clutch's head will spin thinking about building his K30 camper special on the order sheet.

superbuickguy

Explorer
You sure on that?
7700 for the Colorado, 7200 for the Silverado...

I'm still not sure why people keep comparing them - they're different vehicles for different people. I have 1 tons, 2 1/2 tons available to me, but I'll light my knappies on fire before I'd drive either of those to downtown Seattle with an air payload.....

skyfree

Just got back from Expo and another pass on the White Rim Road in Canyonlands with my ZR2. We did parts of the more challenging Hell Roaring Rim Road (HRRR) before doing the White Rim and I got to experiment with the lockers. In one spot there was a large double ledge that could not be taken with much momentum. I purposely approached it without lockers on and got some wheel spin which prevented me from making it up easily. I backed off and locked both front and back and it motored right up.

Approach angles are really great. Departure angles LOOK really tight with the spare underneath and that exhaust sticking out down low, but it was never a problem. I only lightly scraped the hitch once when I wasn't being careful with my speed.

The much discussed shock mounts can be protected with Fab 589 shock mount skids. I put them on just in case but they weren't really needed. I can certainly imagine situations where a boulder field would cause problems, but most of the time there are line options that make it a non issue. Still, it's cheap insurance for those very expensive shocks.

The diesel is great for low-range rock crawling. The torque down low makes crawling really easy. 1st gear isn't quite as low as I would like in some situations, but it has the low-end power to make it work.

Width was a non-issue even though the ZR2 is a bit wider than the normal Colorado/Canyon.

The 31" tires were fine. I would go with 32" tires if I was going to upgrade. Yes, AEV had 33's on their truck but they told me they had some rubbing at full articulation. I liked their snorkel kit: https://www.aev-conversions.com/aev-releases-colorado-parts-overland-expo/

cbi had a great bumper that's coming soon:
IMG_0796.JPG

Regarding payload, I wouldn't hesitate to put a FWC Swift in my short bed crew, but it's going to need airbags for sure. I wouldn't want to lower the back end much because it would make departure angles even worse. I spoke with Stan from FWC at Expo and they can't install one in a short bed Colorado/Canyon -- apparently because the fuel tank is in the way of where they need to install the tie down bolts in the front. He claims that it has been done by some customers who came up with their own custom tie down methods like welding stuff to the frame and going with arms (Like Torklift tie downs) outboard of the bed side. If you have aftermarket rock sliders he suggested welding an attachment point on those, but the stock sliders have really thin supports so I wouldn't want to use those unless they were reinforced. In the back you could go with a button on the bumper, but I'd rather figure out a way to attach to the hitch bar. All this sounded like a lot of work to me so I'm probably not going to seriously look at that option for now.

Lastly, I think the ZR2 is a great option for those of us who want to follow our overlanding friends around, but don't really have the desire to build up the truck with lots of parts. It's pretty capable off the shelf.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Desmontes that a super nice truck! One question, do people typically drive around with all that farkle on there, or is it a gear up before you go kinda thing? Seems that truck is already at gvwr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles