Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

moderndaynorseman

Always two sides of coin, eh?

Found that article. I have personally encountered his cables strung across trails. Damn lucky I saw it in time. All I did was report it to the Forest Service, and nothing really came of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/azdail...4f09385d-5562-5fe4-90f6-46979c0a4927.amp.html

There's definitely some scary folk out there. Funny how both sides of the coin can often lead back to land access issues, one side claiming it should only belong to them while the other claims it should be for everyone... Gets tiresome after a while, especially when there's so many people out there that do not respect the land in any capacity (littering, damaging trails for the lols, abusing animals, etc.) that yell the loudest when their access is threatened.

I've always believed in leaving campsites better than I found them, whether random/wild or at established campgrounds. Never had a trip where I haven't packed out at least a small bag of garbage that I did not create. If more people don't wake up and start taking care of this earth, there won't be anything left for the next generations.

Okay, my rant is over. Back to your deep thoughts Mr Clutch!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Oops we killed off all the wolves... better bring them back and protect them... oops, now there are too many... damn, better have a cull...

Stupid humans!
There's only too many if you have an empty elk tag. Or you're a rancher, but in that case anything more than zero is too many.

Dalko43

Explorer
There's only too many if you have an empty elk tag. Or you're a rancher, but in that case anything more than zero is too many.

Way off topic, but I think most people agree that having wolves on the landscapes (where they can be ecologically supported) is a good thing.

The disagreement arises when it comes to management (hunting). There is a very solid argument to be made that their numbers do in fact need to be controlled, not only to help keep the pressure off ranchers and to ensure there is a robust ungulate (elk, deer, moose) population to support human and natural predation, but also because the recent surge in wolf numbers has in fact threatened vulnerable species in certain areas....the dwindling Caribou population in the Pacific Northwest US would be a good example of that. Similarly, in Alaska, where many of the indigenous communities still live a subsistence hunting lifestyle, the state explicitly manages predator populations to ensure people can put meat on their tables for the winter time.

Clutch

<---Pass
There's definitely some scary folk out there. Funny how both sides of the coin can often lead back to land access issues, one side claiming it should only belong to them while the other claims it should be for everyone... Gets tiresome after a while, especially when there's so many people out there that do not respect the land in any capacity (littering, damaging trails for the lols, abusing animals, etc.) that yell the loudest when their access is threatened.

I've always believed in leaving campsites better than I found them, whether random/wild or at established campgrounds. Never had a trip where I haven't packed out at least a small bag of garbage that I did not create. If more people don't wake up and start taking care of this earth, there won't be anything left for the next generations.

Okay, my rant is over. Back to your deep thoughts Mr Clutch!

Yep I agree...need to have some sort of middle ground instead of this us against them attitude.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Hey, that is what this thread is supposed to be.

That’s the great thing about threads like this. It keeps you coming back as you never know where it’s going to go next!

And speaking of tangents, how is the winter season looking in YOUR neck of the woods? We usually have a good snow season going on in the local mountains right from Halloween onwards, but today seems to be the start of the real rain/snow. I can turn that back on the wolves too, as a milder winter (which is predicted here in the PNW) is good for prey animal survival.

Clutch

<---Pass
That’s the great thing about threads like this. It keeps you coming back as you never know where it’s going to go next!

And speaking of tangents, how is the winter season looking in YOUR neck of the woods? We usually have a good snow season going on in the local mountains right from Halloween onwards, but today seems to be the start of the real rain/snow. I can turn that back on the wolves too, as a milder winter (which is predicted here in the PNW) is good for prey animal survival.

I have the attention span of a jack rabbit on crank. Be talking about one thing, and something makes me think of another, and it keeps on snowballing....

We have been cold, but not much snow so far this year. Farmers Almanac was saying was going to be a dry year. The also said last year was supposed to be a heavy snow year, but that didn't happen either. Guess we will find out in March! :p

Most of the ski areas opened yesterday. Many have been making their own snow.

Have been keeping an eye on snow levels up in the Stanley area, one of my favorite places. How cool it would it be to take a kayak across this right now?

camera0.jpg

Last edited:

sovereign

Observer
So, how poor is the ride of the OME compared to the SAWs you replaced?

I have the 2.5 SAWs w/700# springs which are leaking and need to be rebuilt.

DaveInDenver

Dang, 700 lb/in springs on a 1st gen Taco? That's got to be harsh. The highest rate spring OME suggests is 660 lb/in, the 2886, which is for +100 kg over stock.

sovereign

Observer
Are OME and Eibach rates directly comparable?

I had 650s but they collapsed in short order. I have the 700s at just over an inch of exposed thread on the collars and as far as I can tell I basically have no lift in the front.

DaveInDenver

Spring rate is spring rate. OME coils are longer than 3" Eibach but I think smaller diameter. OME 2886 springs are 402 mm (15.8") long.

I run 14" 650 lb/in King coils on my extended travel FOX shocks and they hold up an ARB + winch + 4.0L V6 + 3/16" skids + dual batteries at about 2.5" of lift (this on a 2nd gen, though). I have to work them hard to get the full travel out of even them.

I have about 3" of threads exposed on my shocks but I don't know how that translates to anyone else's set up. Also OME says the 2886 + 90000 shock should give about 2.75" of lift with the extra 100 kg. So they're after more up travel than down. I'm about 60/40 between up and down travel. The way FOX set them up, 13" 600 lb/in springs, gave 2" of lift before I put on the bumper and winch. That put the travel window pretty much right in the middle.

Last edited:

sovereign

Observer
ICON has stated that their 700# coils should not be cranked to more than 1" of exposed threads on their COs.

I suppose it is best to compare apples to apples as closely as possible. I have read that King does not recommend their stock 600lb. coil on 1st gens with extra weight.

DaveInDenver

Icon digressive tuning is completely different than the approach FOX/King/SAW/Radflo/OME/Toyota take so their recommendations really are apples-to-squirrels.

I'm back to running the original shim stack and oil weight FOX used in my non-reservoir IFP 2.5" shocks. Rebound is a bit harsh crawling but over wash board it's good (the truck floats at speed just like I want) and the compression is right on for everything.

I mean, ultimately, if you're happy with the quality of the ride, the ride height and the travel you get then the set up is correct no matter what anyone else says or recommends. If it wasn't so much work I'd actually go down in spring rate (to a non-existent 625 lb/in single coil) and use active bump stops. But 600 lb/in would probably be too low I think and, frankly, that seems expensive and like more work than it's worth.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior