Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

tacollie

Explorer
Would it not be more so that a canvas topper?

I ask because when we camp we are told not to keep food in our tent trailer because of bears. Yet, people with hardwall's (which are made of fiberglass, i believe are okay). We don't cook in our trailer. Strictly speaking food storage...
If bear want they will get it. They can smell it either way.

Good thing about mountain lions is you'll never see it coming. I have seen wild cats three times, twice mountain lions and once a lynx (which is a very rare and special thing in Colorado). One lion was just his eyes at the edge of my bike lights and the other was a ton of brush moving and a fairly certain spotting of a tail. I have seen black bear but in side country and the suburban/forest border that's not really unusual.
I've seen 7 lynx in Colorado. 6 on the bike and 1 crossing the street in my neighborhood. I do solo night rides in mountain lion territory. I figure they aren't hungry because of all the deer. I'm convinced I'm going to nail a deer on my mtb one of these days!

Wallygator

Adventurer
If bear want they will get it. They can smell it either way.

I've seen 7 lynx in Colorado. 6 on the bike and 1 crossing the street in my neighborhood. I do solo night rides in mountain lion territory. I figure they aren't hungry because of all the deer. I'm convinced I'm going to nail a deer on my mtb one of these days!
Didn't a mountain lion attack a mountain biker a few years back. Dragged him off the trail and the only reason they knew right away is because the lion was acting weird trying to protect his kill. Crazy

There was also a Cougar attack on some mountain bikers this year in the Seattle area.

phsycle

Adventurer
Didn't a mountain lion attack a mountain biker a few years back. Dragged him off the trail and the only reason they knew right away is because the lion was acting weird trying to protect his kill. Crazy

There was also a Cougar attack on some mountain bikers this year in the Seattle area.
There was that attack in Washington (two men. One killed, one injured.) Both were on their mountain bikes. And woman in Oregon.

Again, lions scare me the most. Don’t care about bears, or snakes. Although chances of a cougar attack, or any animal attack are pretty low. Thankfully.

DaveInDenver

Expedition Leader
I've seen 7 lynx in Colorado. 6 on the bike and 1 crossing the street in my neighborhood.
Did you call it in? We saw the one on the CT on the way back to Copper from Janet's Hut in the winter and the state wildlife guy was really happy to know it had survived. This would have been around 2007 or so, I think 10 years after the reintroduction. They released about 200 of them and at that point only one litter of two kittens had been seen. I think they're doing well but there's only a few hundred in the state so you're pretty lucky. I've seen tracks since but never another.

tacollie

Explorer
Did you call it in? We saw the one on the CT on the way back to Copper from Janet's Hut in the winter and the state wildlife guy was really happy to know it had survived. This would have been around 2007 or so, I think 10 years after the reintroduction. They released about 200 of them and at that point only one litter of two kittens had been seen. I think they're doing well but there's only a few hundred in the state so you're pretty lucky. I've seen tracks since but never another.
Oh dang! I didn't realize there were so few. I never called any of them in. Also, looking at a map of the populations they were probably bobcat 😀

DaveInDenver

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I kinda thought that would be the case. In the warm weather they look very similar (the beard and the feet on a lynx would be a telltale). However in the winter the lynx's coat turns white & grey. We were nowhere near close to it but the size of its paw tracks in the snow was really cool.

tacollie

Explorer
Yeah, I kinda thought that would be the case. In the warm weather they look very similar (the beard and the feet on a lynx would be a telltale). However in the winter the lynx's coat turns white & grey. We were nowhere near close to it but the size of its paw tracks in the snow was really cool.
Cool. The first one was 8 or 9 years ago so definitely a bobcat. It was standing in the middle of the trail when I ride up. I thought it was a dog at first. It ran in front of me for about 20' before it disappeared into the forest.

phsycle

Adventurer
They pretty much nailed the target market with that picture....old cheap dude in a bone stock Nissan. :D

Well, contacted yet, another dealer. This time, some positive news---the guy said ARE Classic Alu series is what I need. He claimed they weigh around 50lbs stock (may be a bit optimistic) and ~70lbs with what I want (solid side doors, solid front, and ladder rack). He's sold quite a few and many have installed and removed these caps by themselves. He did confirm these are NOT like the commercial (DCU) units, which are much heavier.

Three color options, white, silver, black. I'll probably go black. Rack would be great to haul my canoe and kayak. Overall price - $1,300. I think this is what I'll do.

It'd look like this without the awful looking windows

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Expedition Leader
Functional!

I'd get a sliding front window and probably skip the ladder rack. I found the rack brackets they screw on to be marginally useful so I used Yakima Side Loaders into the skeleton and 1A towers. But there are other ways to build yourself a decent roof rack.

One other thing to think about with black is the surface will get considerably hotter than white or silver. Coating or insulating the back of the aluminum skin is a good idea to regulate the temperature and keep from touching it. The problem is, of course, black usually looks best with any truck that isn't white or silver.

phsycle

Adventurer
Hm, maybe I'll skip the rack then. Too bad, because it's only $100 option. I am going to keep the front solid, though. I like being able to load stuff without worrying about cracking the window. Last year, took the neighborhood kids sledding and they were just chucking them in the back. Almost hit the rear window a few times. It'd be nice to not worry about that. That's the reason I'm going with solid side doors as well.

Black is the only color that will work, unfortunately. I may look into some sort of spray-on insulation solution.