Chevy AWD

foytix

hahaha, yea I gave up on going too wide. I just picked up a set of factory chevy off-road package 18's for 325 (things are like new) and just today found a used set of BFG Rugged Trail's in a 275/65r18 for $180 delivered with about 70% tread left. I think it'll all look alot better than what I have now. :ylsmoke:

IMAG0545.jpg

Pogroma

Chevy AWD, Body Lift

To Zuren.
I Am also new on this Forum,have 07 AWD and would like to lift the body 1-2 in. in order to install
skid plate under the plastic fuel tank. Please can you give me info about Your 1in. lift to help me
achiev this . Thanks John.

Last edited:

zuren

Adventurer
To Zuren.
I Am also new on this Forum,have 07 AWD and would like to lift the body 1-2 in. in order to install
skid plate under the plastic fuel tank. Please can you give me info about Your 1in. lift to help me
achiev this . Thanks John.

John -

The 1" body lift is doable; 2" may start creating more issues than you want to deal with. This mod has worked for me but please proceed at your own risk! All of this is to the best of my memory at this point.

I didn't do the best job documenting this but here is what I do know:

Parts
12 ea. - M14-2.0 x 130mm DIN 931 Class 10.9 Yellow Zinc Cap Screw (Fastenal P/N = 11114441)
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=11114441&ucst=t

12 ea. - Performance Accessories 1" Lift Puck (model = BB01)
http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/PERBB01.html

Optional: 1 can of Undercoating (spray on)

Optional: 1 U-bolt with nylock nuts

Optional: Drill with bits and small hole saw

Dremel with plunge/side cutting bit

Tools
Floor jack
multiple chunks of 4x4 or 2x4s
Air tools or hand sockets with breaker bar
Torque wrench

Going greater than 1" will give you a gap that I think will look pretty ugly as well as generate problems with the steering linkage. So far I haven't had any problems with my 1" lift that gave me the clearances I wanted.

Before you do anything, decide whether you want to continue to carry the spare tire in its factory location. Remove it from the frame carrier now. If you are going to carry it elsewhere (e.g. inside, roof rack, bumper carrier) there is nothing more to worry about. If you plan to keep it underneath, read below.

I loosened the body bolts on one side until just a couple of threads were holding on and removed the bolts from the other side. Also loosen the gap guards in the front wheel wells. In the event the body tried to shift, I didn't want it going anywhere. I used the chunks of 2x4 to spread the load out as the jack lifted one side of the van (I lifted from the side at the middle to achieve equal lift front-to-rear). I only went high enough to slip the lift pucks in (be VERY careful here; I was lifting 1/2" at a time) and loosely threaded the new bolts in (coated with anti-seize). I lowered the body back down and repeated on the other side. You'll have to double check this, but I think the torque was around 60 ft.-lbs. I went around to all 12 fasteners and torqued them to spec.

Even with the 1" lift the bottom of the fan shroud needs to be trimmed. I marked what needed to be removed to give the fan clearance and cut it off with the Dremel. This wasn't easy since I decided to leave the shroud in place. It would be easier but would take MUCH longer to remove it and cut.

If you decided to carry the spare tire elsewhere, you're done. However, I wanted to carry the tire in the factory location. If you look at the back where you insert the tools to lower the tire, the tube attached to the frame no longer aligns with the hole on the body. Either you can trim the body or I elected to re-engineer the alignment on the tube. I used a hole saw to notch the frame support then used a U-bolt to hold it in place. It's pretty solid and functions well. I gave everything a shot primer and undercoating to prevent rust and rattles.

Pogroma

Zuren
Thanks for posting the thread for 1inch Body lift on Your Van. It will help me with my project, (instal skid plates under existing plastic fuel tank & my aluminium,auxiliary fuel tank behind the rear
axle. Again Thanks very much. John.

Mr. Nacho

Nice work guys.... I'm looking into the AWD chevy and you guys have done a great job putting this together..... Any part#'s for the Bilstein 5100 shocks your using?

brianr513

Nice work guys.... I'm looking into the AWD chevy and you guys have done a great job putting this together..... Any part#'s for the Bilstein 5100 shocks your using?

Mr. Nacho,
I have finished my 4th Chevrolet Express AWD Lift Conversion. I used the Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks on the last one. I really didn't see any big difference in ride quality over the Skyjacker Soft Ride 7000 Series that is worth the additional $50.00ea or $200.00 total shock package for the Bilsteins. I would rather spend the extra $200.00 on the Maxx Suspension Kit over the Stock GM White Torsion cams. Tried the White Cams from GM bought for a total $73.00+ including tax. The ride is choppier and the over-all lift was about 1.5 inches. Just not the same so I started over and installed the Maxx Kit that will allow up to 3" lift or a 2.5" drop. The Shocks I prefer to use are Skyjacker 7000 Series #H7003 Front / H7017 Rear about $35.00ea + Tax. If you prefer the Bilsteins the Part numbers are BIL24-186643 Front / BIL24-186742 @ $85.00ea + Tax. All these shocks (Skyjacker/Bilstein) #'s are for a 1.5"-2" lift. My personal van has been a test mule for both shock manufactures, stock cams and Maxx Kit. This van has about 13,000 miles on it since lift was installed. Absolutely a joy to drive, soft ride, no noises, no vibrations to date. Still haven't pulled the trigger on wheels yet. I will post pictures as soon as I get time................

Mr. Nacho

Thanks Brian, Now I have to find a Chevy or GMC AWD. As you know here in the NW they are hard to find. I thought of getting a Passenger Van instead of converting a cargo, to much work and expensive if you take it to Van Specialties in Portland. Do you have any pictures to post of any finished vans?

HeliPilot

2008 GMC Savana AWD- Suspension Lift in Progress

I just purchased a 2008 GMC Savana AWD RB in Denver and I'm having Boulder Off-Road installing a suspension lift. This will be the first "kit" AWD suspension lift for them. If all goes well (which I'm sure it will) they'll be developing a kit that they are going to sell via their website.
So far I've been really impressed. I should have the Van back within a week or so. It sounds like 285/75/16's are the tire I'll be going with. Probably BFG AT's. I'll be sure to post some photos soon.

Mr. Nacho

HeliPilot, What size lift are they installing? sounds like a 4" to get the 285's to work..... I look forward to seeing the finished product. I just purchased a 2008 Chevy AWD Pass Van and looking forward to getting started with the 2" lift Brianr513 has put together with some additional Mod's for hauling around sporting gear. I'm downgrading from a 2000 E250 Quigley 4x4 conversion so I think I'm over the 285 tires , 11MPG & Ford Maintenance. 10 good years and 100k and I'm ready for a change....... Has anyone installed a Frt hitch on the Chevy Vans I really use mine a lot on the Ford for hauling bikes and noticed no make one for the Chevy?

Mr. Nacho

Mr. Nacho,
I have finished my 4th Chevrolet Express AWD Lift Conversion. I used the Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks on the last one. I really didn't see any big difference in ride quality over the Skyjacker Soft Ride 7000 Series that is worth the additional $50.00ea or $200.00 total shock package for the Bilsteins. I would rather spend the extra $200.00 on the Maxx Suspension Kit over the Stock GM White Torsion cams. Tried the White Cams from GM bought for a total $73.00+ including tax. The ride is choppier and the over-all lift was about 1.5 inches. Just not the same so I started over and installed the Maxx Kit that will allow up to 3" lift or a 2.5" drop. The Shocks I prefer to use are Skyjacker 7000 Series #H7003 Front / H7017 Rear about $35.00ea + Tax. If you prefer the Bilsteins the Part numbers are BIL24-186643 Front / BIL24-186742 @ $85.00ea + Tax. All these shocks (Skyjacker/Bilstein) #'s are for a 1.5"-2" lift. My personal van has been a test mule for both shock manufactures, stock cams and Maxx Kit. This van has about 13,000 miles on it since lift was installed. Absolutely a joy to drive, soft ride, no noises, no vibrations to date. Still haven't pulled the trigger on wheels yet. I will post pictures as soon as I get time................

Brian can you direct me to the 2" riser blocks / U bolts that worked for you lift?

brianr513

Brian can you direct me to the 2" riser blocks / U bolts that worked for you lift?

Mr. Nacho
The 2" lift block/u-bolt kit I prefer to use is Skyjacker #BUK2061 Cost is about $95.00. If cost is a factor you can use Tuff Country Kit #97034 Cost is about $64.95. I like the blocks sold with the Skyjacker Kit better they seem to me that they fit better. I have been traveling alot, still no additional pictures and still no aftermarket wheels yet.

Mr. Nacho

Hey Brian, Thanks for all your help..... Our van arrives next week so I'm collecting parts to get the lift done now. I was going to order the Maxx Cam2 $224 and Skyjacker shocks $37ea ($35 Rebate until 05/30/112) from Summit Racing Equipment but they have lots of options on riser blocks and no 2". I also came across your write up on the Chevy Forum on up dating the Front Grill/Headlights, you are a wealth of knowledge. I can only hope to provide you with some useful info down the road, next up is Pwr. Windows and Door Looks....

Last edited:

aksavanaman

Pulled the trigger on those skyjacker shocks and blocks!!!:wings: and since I did get a full 2" of lift out of adjusting the torsion screws, I held off on the Maxx Cam kit. Will try to get some intallation pics as I go along!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke