Chevrolet Express / GMC Savana RWD Van Info thread (All years / 1500, 2500, 3500)

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
The purpose of this thread will be to get as much information as possible in one place regarding the Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana RWD vans. Maybe some day it could be a sticky??
I will make a handful of posts at the beginning as place holders and keep them up to date. If I post something incorrect please feel free to correct me. If others post good information I will add it to the first postings to keep it on the front page.

Please be clear to which platform (1500, 2500, 3500) and year the information applies (usually 1996-2002 or 2003 - current).

For Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana AWD vans, please consult this thread: Link.

Some information might apply to both (example: interior) so a link will be added on both threads to help out.

Chevrolet Express & GMC Savana Wikipedia

This thread is a work in progress. :Mechanic:

Last edited:

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Chevy Express & GMC Savana 2500 and 3500 suspension information.

Boulder Offroad VAns lift kits (2003 - Current)

Weldtec designs Chevrolet Express Lift Spindles (1996 - 2002)

Weldtec designs Chevrolet Express Lift Spindles (2003 - current)

96-02 3500 spindle info: "The GM part numbers for the 1 ton 96-02 Van front spindles are 18060575 LH and 18060576 RH. Yes they are the same part numbers as the 1 ton 2wd C body trucks, Tahoes, Suburbans in the 90's. Pretty much up from 88-89 to when the trucks switched body style in 99-00 [...]"

Coil springs

I summarized the Moog information on coil springs in a table (RT = RoadTrek):
uc

The attached file provides all the applications (which all seem to stop at 2006 for some reason)

Also, at the end of this link "MOOG UNIVERSAL COIL SPRING SPECIFICATIONS", (or once you've selected your filters) you will find all the information about the values given in the table.

Weldtec designs Leveling spacers and installation guide by ynowgn.

Great info on the 14-Bolt differential: link.

Attachments

• Moog applications.pdf
    153.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Great idea for a thread. I will contribute that 1996-2002 5 lug ONLY! G1500 and G2500 up to 7300 GVWR that use a front spindle with tapered bearings, not a bolt on front hub, share the same front spindle/knuckle as many 90's model 2wd Chevrolet trucks, Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Full size Blazers. So a 2wd lift spindle that fits those will also fit our vans. For instance the Rough Country 7500 4 inch lift spindles are a direct bolt on regardless of what the internet says or the representative tells you on the phone.

Also for a cheaper rear end lift option other than replacing full leaf packs. Monroe 58600 are a bolt on rear shock with a coilover spring built in that helps handle additional weight. They are longer than stock and work great with 4" lift blocks.

The 4" lift on my 2000 G1500 cost less than $500 in parts.

A couple side notes about my lift. The factory aluminum GM 15" 5 lug wheels rubbed slightly on the Rough County spindles. A thin wheel spacer would have worked. I opted to go with 16" Wheels and a 265/75r16 Tire which is slightly larger than 31 inches tall. The factory ABS wheel front speed sensor wires were long enough but the front brake hoses were not and needed to be replaced. Stock rear brake hose was long enough with 4" lift blocks.

Last edited:

SARguru

Observer
Thanks for starting the thread Mat, I'm picking up our 2007 3500 extended passenger van in 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
What information are you after? I have Weldtec's first complete 2WD long travel kit on my van.

Whatever you have. If ever you're unsure of something, just make it clear you're unsure so the forum member can look into it with more detail. (example: to what year an information applies)

Would you have pictures of the front suspension? That would be really useful to add it here. Also, what parts have been changed.

BTW, I knew... Jeremy sent me a picture of your bumper when we were designing mine. It really helped finalize my design. It was great working with Weldtec. I can't wait to get my kit! I didn't go with long travel (mine's an RV so we'll stay humble on the trails) but I was looking for more ground clearance. You're van is awesome! :D

southpier

Expedition Leader
General Maintenance

after all the off roading, dune climbing, and mud bogging, how do I change my cabin air filter? if I have one, and can locate it!

Whatever you have. If ever you're unsure of something, just make it clear you're unsure so the forum member can look into it with more detail. (example: to what year an information applies)

Would you have pictures of the front suspension? That would be really useful to add it here. Also, what parts have been changed.

BTW, I knew... Jeremy sent me a picture of your bumper when we were designing mine. It really helped finalize my design. It was great working with Weldtec. I can't wait to get my kit! I didn't go with long travel (mine's an RV so we'll stay humble on the trails) but I was looking for more ground clearance. You're van is awesome! :D

Thanks for the compliments! Was yours the tan Sportsmobile?

I'll get a writeup together and some better photos. I have some on my phone but my phone camera sucks.

If your bumper is still in process make sure they put drain holes in any flat surfaces. Mine doesn't have any and it collects water. I discovered this when I washed the van and couldn't get the pool of soapy water out of there. I'm going to bust out my drill and paint this weekend to remedy this.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments! Was yours the tan Sportsmobile?

I'll get a writeup together and some better photos. I have some on my phone but my phone camera sucks.

If your bumper is still in process make sure they put drain holes in any flat surfaces. Mine doesn't have any and it collects water. I discovered this when I washed the van and couldn't get the pool of soapy water out of there. I'm going to bust out my drill and paint this weekend to remedy this.

No, it wasn't this one. I'm having my order shipped all the way to Montreal so you didn't see it (but you can see my build thread in my signature).

Thanks for the tip on the bumper! I was going to give Jeremy a call today to follow-up so I'll add that to the list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior