Cheap tricks and solutions - product modifications, DIY, or repurposed items- not on-sale items

DCH109

Adventurer
Stove, I use a converted beer/ soda can that is set to burn alcohol. (like the yellow heat stuff or the drug store stuff). (I mainly solo)
No pic sorry but you can see them anywhere. I have made coffee, Boiled water and made pasta, Fried eggs and bacon. I made mine a little taller so it holds more fuel and burns just fine, weighs less than my phone and with a small container of fuel I can run all weekend. I have a wind screen and it is all surprisingly sturdy.
I went for 10 days and it was my only stove. I never starved and I even stopped on the side of the trail for a quick coffee that was ready in minutes from unpacking the stove to drinking the coffee.
I can lose it and not care as I can built another without an issue.

lvcjt702

Stove, I use a converted beer/ soda can that is set to burn alcohol. (like the yellow heat stuff or the drug store stuff). (I mainly solo)
No pic sorry but you can see them anywhere. I have made coffee, Boiled water and made pasta, Fried eggs and bacon. I made mine a little taller so it holds more fuel and burns just fine, weighs less than my phone and with a small container of fuel I can run all weekend. I have a wind screen and it is all surprisingly sturdy.
I went for 10 days and it was my only stove. I never starved and I even stopped on the side of the trail for a quick coffee that was ready in minutes from unpacking the stove to drinking the coffee.
Penny stove.
https://www-instructables-com.cdn.a...instructables.com/id/Alcohol-Can-penny-stove/

I've made then out of old stainless water bottles. They work great!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

J!m

I needed storage in my 88 in Africa and being so small, it’s not easy. I had an overlength roof rack custom made but had a lofty sh others over amp up there and waterproof bags of clothes.

Inside was packed with four McKesson bins (plastic bins they ship drugs in) that stack. Each labeled and stacked heavy on the bottom. In front of them were three or four British Military water cans. Laying on the floor. Above them was two aluminum angle rails, and I had I think six German Jerry cans across here.

On the left side at the back was the fridge (medium arb) and on the right was the tool bag. Coats etc payed on top of the bins, which were strapped down to u-bolts bolted through the tub floor.

I flattened the ends of 1/2 or 3/4 conduit and drilled holes which used the bolts holding the roof top to the roof sides. I wrapped them in pipe insulation to stop rattles. The folding chairs and small table tops that mounted outside the truck were stored here.

Between the front seats was my camera bag.

Water can on the back door was shower water at the end nd of the day. Being in the sun at 110 ambient all day worked great. I used a boat demand water pump mounted inside the back door that plugged into an outlet when in use. We could get two showers and two shaves out of five gallons turning it on and off.

I still needed two spares so I had the classic/typical Land Rover hood mounted tire but also a raw (unmounted) tire in front of the radiator. No rim to block air flow... locked to the bull bar with flourescent pink chain which was used to lock the brake pedal to the steering wheel in sketchy areas...

Ramsey RE 12 winch with 150’ of cable under the tire. I intended to make some small tool boxes in the front bumper but never got to that.

Manteca sand ladders on one side of the roof rack and the (extended) ladder for the roof tent on the passenger side where the tent opened. At the top of the ladder I had a small aluminum deck (with shower floor grip tape) for a solid footing getting in and out on that side (my rider) I had the ladder side because he was scared the tent floor would fail...

I had a class 3 mount on the front bumper to hold a small vice. It lived in the back and could be installed to use for repairs.

Truck was rebuilt but basically stock. I had arb air locker which I activated with a hi-low range switch mounted on my shifter. The short wheelbase would want to go straight in goopy mud and this way I could pop it on and off instantly without removing my hand from the shifter.

Oh. I had Velcro stiluck to the inside of all the window frames and had fiberglass bug screen cut to size with the mating Velcro to keep the bugs at bay. Also the factory bug screens for the dash vents. Door tops got strapped down on top of the closed tent for travel, but they would fall off and to skidding down the road from time to time.

Mr. T

Looked at double receiver hitches and cargo carriers on line for the back of my Jeep and decided to make my own. Saved about $150.

Found a 2” x 5.75” receiver adapter at Lowe’s and a 1.25” x 6” receiver at etrailer and welded two 1.25” x 4” pieces together and welded the 2” and 1.25” receivers to the top and bottom of it. Welded a 36” x 18” tray out of 1.25” angle iron and welded it to 1.25” 11 gage. Also added a tie down strap to help stabilize the rack.

Attachments

• 0ABDEA83-82AE-4EEA-B018-ED2398ABD9F7.jpeg
    0ABDEA83-82AE-4EEA-B018-ED2398ABD9F7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 181
  • BFD2231B-E0EA-47E2-AD32-531489726A6B.jpeg
    BFD2231B-E0EA-47E2-AD32-531489726A6B.jpeg
    727.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 9D0FD9D3-59A8-46A0-9983-D6F667BF673B.jpeg
    9D0FD9D3-59A8-46A0-9983-D6F667BF673B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
  • 33D57C7E-126F-4397-9693-87B6CC419226.jpeg
    33D57C7E-126F-4397-9693-87B6CC419226.jpeg
    819.4 KB · Views: 162
  • D8C346D8-C56A-4198-96DB-4D712EE44825.jpeg
    D8C346D8-C56A-4198-96DB-4D712EE44825.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 179
  • 910DE5D9-1545-4C26-B532-B5F137B98B94.jpeg
    910DE5D9-1545-4C26-B532-B5F137B98B94.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 174
  • 68926865-4E34-427E-A87D-B0BCEF893851.jpeg
    68926865-4E34-427E-A87D-B0BCEF893851.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:

J!m

That stove belongs in a meuseum!

Looks like my dad’s (with a lot less rust) from the early 60’s I think.

Great score.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I bought a lamp like that, still in the box, at a thrift store for $8. Just filled it, put on new mantle, and it worked great. Then went on line and got a shield to direct the light and a stand to hang it from, great piece of kit.

NevetsG

Looked at double receiver hitches and cargo carriers on line for the back of my Jeep and decided to make my own. Saved about $150.

Found a 2” x 5.75” receiver adapter at Lowe’s and a 1.25” x 6” receiver at etrailer and welded two 1.25” x 4” pieces together and welded the 2” and 1.25” receivers to the top and bottom of it. Welded a 36” x 18” tray out of 1.25” angle iron and welded it to 1.25” 11gage.

Harbor Freight has them for pretty cheap. Got one years ago:

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-hitch-extender-69881.html

Now they have another one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-ball-mount-66966.html

SameGuy

Observer
A few years back, ok, like 14 years back I moved back to Wyoming after a long stint in Texas. I was keen to get back into backpacking and built and bought a few different 'penny stoves.' They were fun to make and worked great. While testing a new creation outside on my grill I bumped one of the lit stoves and tipped it over. The semi-pressurized fuel shot out of the stove like a flamethrower instantly. I've used them since that incident but knowing things can go sideways in a hurry I take some serious precautions if I am going ultralight. No cooking in the tent kids.....

shu2kill

just found this thread, great ideas!!

Here is one i saw posted some time ago, i dont remember if it was in this forum or somewhere else.

I use a small Actionpacker to store food and cooking supplies. So, drill some holes in the lid, put some elastic cord, and there you have a space to store bags. cooking utensils, small rags, spice bottles, etc.

Another cheap solution i found is to use an old water bottle to carry forks, knives and spoons. This keeps them handy and clean inside the Action packer. I also put napkins in the bottle as well.

And finally, I made this using my grandmas sewing machine. It holds the spices i am using the most, a long wooden spoon, lighter, and spray oil handy when i am cooking in the tailgate's table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier