changing rear camshaft seals

jhill15

Explorer
Thanks mascot for the link. I have the fsm but i couldnt find the replacement for the rear cam seal in it. I may have over looked it though

BOPOH

Explorer
hi guys, just a quick reminder to take your time and be very careful. Mine had so much burned oil that it didn't twist or anything, i tried everything and no matter how much i twisted or wiggled it didn't help - mine broke. if anybody wants i'll post pictures. Be careful, especially if your engine is old

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
hi guys, just a quick reminder to take your time and be very careful. Mine had so much burned oil that it didn't twist or anything, i tried everything and no matter how much i twisted or wiggled it didn't help - mine broke. if anybody wants i'll post pictures. Be careful, especially if your engine is old

Got mine done last night after getting the correct o-rings from a local vendor for $1 each.

Did you guys go from above or below?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Passenger side was a breeze but driver side proved problematic, didn't go in straight and ended up breaking off one of the ears on the inserted piece the seal goes around. I'll get it done tomorrow after I grab that broken piece off another 98 at the junkyard.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Stupid question maybe (probably!), but how do you know if its leaking if you cant see it?

MascotRejct

Adventurer
I would reach down there just below the seals and feel if there is fresh oil. As far as I can tell from my tear down, those are the highest up in the engine that it could come from.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I would reach down there just below the seals and feel if there is fresh oil. As far as I can tell from my tear down, those are the highest up in the engine that it could come from.

^^This, another sign is if you smell burned oil after stopping or parking, it will drop onto the exhaust.

The Viper

Adventurer
Anyone have any tips for pulling the passenger side off? I have the bolts out and its twisting, but getting it to pull out at all isnt happening at the moment

EDIT: well, all of a sudden it popped out like magic...go figure

Last edited:

logantanner

I'll go ahead and resurrect this. I dug in on my 2002 Montero Limited 3.5 today to do the rear cam seals and got the passenger side done easily. Had to use a small pry bar to pop it out. I'm reluctant to do the driver side though because I keep reading conflicting things that say there's a camshaft position sensor in there. Is that something I need to be concerned about before removing that piece? The drivers side seems much harder than passenger, lot's of brackets, hoses and looms in the way, so don't want to tear it apart if I don't have to. Or if I do end up doing it, want to get it done right.

Additionally, while I was in there for the cam seal, it also looked like maybe the valve cover might be seeping a bit. On a whim I tried tightening the accessible valve cover bolts and they were quite loose. Anyone have experience with them loosening up?

nckwltn

Explorer
Pretty sure the 3.8 has the sensor, then 3.5 does not.

But feel back on the driver's side..
If it feels the same as the passenger, then no sensor.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles