Canter not starting

kerry

Expedition Leader
Are there any electrical connections in the vicinity of the pump which might have been jiggled? I’d consider using a separate fuel can, bypassing the existing system and feeding it directly to the IP via gravity to see if it runs.

Are there any electrical connections in the vicinity of the pump which might have been jiggled? I’d consider using a separate fuel can, bypassing the existing system and feeding it directly to the IP via gravity to see if it runs.
Tried the fuel straight into the up no difference
Trying a new pressure sensor
Gary

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I thought that you said that the primer pump leaking back was the issue.
I am guessing now that it wasn't.

I thought that you said that the primer pump leaking back was the issue.
I am guessing now that it wasn't.
No it started when he clamped the return line to the filter
I put in a new primer pump and back to the same
Just tried the rail pressure sensor And no good
Could be the rail other part can't think of the name
Regulator that it
Gary

Ducstrom

So it sounds like the fuel system is fine:
Not losing prime with air leaks
Runs fine after starting with no lack of power
New prime pump, injectors, and high pressure pump

If it was electrical, I would expect to see codes, or a shut down of fuel delivery preventing operation at all, not just startup.

If you haven't already, I would try a new battery. I have seen some weird stuff happen that were from faulty batteries.

After that I'd start looking at the engine: compression, leak down, and valve clearance checks. It seems that everything is operating ok, it just needs something with a bit more kick to get it turning over fast enough for compression ignition.

Keep in mind I've never worked on a canter and am just some dude on the internet.

yabanja

Explorer
From your description I would guess that you have an air leak between the pump and tank which is causing the system to lose its prime.

Allan

kerry

Expedition Leader
If that’s the case, pumping the primer should resolve it, or adding a separate tank with gravity feed should stop the problem. The fact that it started with the return lines blocked seems to indicate inadequate fuel flow of some kind.

If that’s the case, pumping the primer should resolve it, or adding a separate tank with gravity feed should stop the problem. The fact that it started with the return lines blocked seems to indicate inadequate fuel flow of some kind.
I are pretty positive it's the prv on the rail
Have the valve just need to find someone to fit it
I can hear a lot of fuel pumping back to the tank
Have tried gravity feed still no good
Have not checked the glow plugs as i just drove it four hours and it works all day has a PTO driven drilling rig on the back
The battery are good compressor charge s them up
Gary

javajoe79

Fabricator
It has a fuel pressure control valve right? If that was faulty it would explain it starting when you clamp the return. Still doesn’t explain why it runs fine once you do get it to start. Perhaps whatever controls the pressure control isn’t initially doing anything until it’s running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior