Can we talk coffee brewing?

CSG

Explorer
Well, certainly it's quicker and much easier to clean up. About the only thing I've noticed is that I have to use more coffee, relatively speaking, to get the same "strength" of brew when using the paper filters. I think this is because the cone shape results in the water quickly draining into the lower part of the cone and the coffee near the top of the cone isn't "used" as much as the coffee further down. I'm wondering at this point if a narrower cone might be better at least in the sense of using less coffee grounds.

Having said that, I'm typically using fairly inexpensive coffee so if I have to use a little more it doesn't bother me. I don't really drink 'gourmet' coffee so grocery-store brand is usually "good enough" for me.
One does pourover correctly when one slowly pours so that the grounds stay concentrated at the bottom, not the sides. Essentially, you wash down the sides with your slow pour. We exclusively use San Francisco Bay whole bean French roast that we get at Costco. $15 for three pounds. We go through it pretty quickly and it's premium coffee (just look at their prices on their website). I prefer the dark roast over lighter roasts.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
I'm a sadist when I go out in the woods. As much as I like my good coffee at home, I tend to use the crappiest instant when camping. Make it super strong, no cream, no sugar. Mmmmmm!

Reactions: WVI

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I have found the pour-over bags from Trader Joe’s 09622AD1-32A8-4865-BA1D-C0DF10B01C6A.jpeg1F6B76A3-EE02-4F29-B9F7-CF11002AB0A1.jpeg81125858-DA01-4579-A8EE-5C84048C07E7.jpegreally nice and prefer the complete lack of mess when using them. In a pinch I also keep a bunch of the Starbucks Via pouches handy as they’re the best instant coffee that I’ve found. I just got a Stanley French press that I’m eager to try out the next trip.