Can we talk coffee brewing?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I have found the pour-over bags from Trader Joe’s 09622AD1-32A8-4865-BA1D-C0DF10B01C6A.jpeg1F6B76A3-EE02-4F29-B9F7-CF11002AB0A1.jpeg81125858-DA01-4579-A8EE-5C84048C07E7.jpegreally nice and prefer the complete lack of mess when using them. In a pinch I also keep a bunch of the Starbucks Via pouches handy as they’re the best instant coffee that I’ve found. I just got a Stanley French press that I’m eager to try out the next trip.

Bailys13

I may not have tried them all, but I was well on my way when I tried the aero press. The best way I like it is to fill a Yeti 20oz cup with water and pour it in the pot to boil. Take a filter and get it wet before putting in the aero press. The press fits the Yeti without the wobbly adapter. Put one aero press scoop of medium grind beans of your choice and add water to the top. After it drips down an inch or two, use the scoop handle to give it a good stir. Keep adding water until the pan is empty then press. 10 minutes from breaking out the kit until enjoying coffee. Stays hot for a couple hours. No sludge once you get the right grind or use two filters.
My grinder goes from 0 ( pixy dust) to 30 ( bruise the bean) I am setting at 17.
100% pure Kona beans = Paradise in a cup

86scotty

Cynic
I have found the pour-over bags from Trader Joe’s View attachment 639259lly nice and prefer the complete lack of mess when using them. In a pinch I also keep a bunch of the Starbucks Via pouches handy as they’re the best instant coffee that I’ve found. I just got a Stanley French press that I’m eager to try out the next trip.

Agreed on Starbuck's instant. Nothing comes close. How is the Trader Joe's? I do realize I'm about a year and a half late on this thread.....but I still enjoy coffee.

Fishenough

Creeper
That right there is a big annoying reason why I miss cross border shopping with our southern neighbours these past 2 years - less mess with those bags.

Gave away my Areo press this past weekend to a camping buddy

I have found the pour-over bags from Trader Joe’s View attachment 639259View attachment 639260really nice and prefer the complete lack of mess when using them. In a pinch I also keep a bunch of the Starbucks Via pouches handy as they’re the best instant coffee that I’ve found. I just got a Stanley French press that I’m eager to try out the next trip.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Hobo coffee is the easiest and just as good to me as press or perked and definitely better than drip drip drip. Of course I'm old and not as refined like some.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I have consumed coffee in many countries around the world and that served in the USA is about the worst I have ever come across.
The US taught the Japaneese how to make coffee after WW2. They make very good coffee. Did they do something different to what they were taught or did the USA forget how to do it?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

krick3tt

Adventurer
Recently visited Colombia and toured a coffee plantation. Lots goes into getting coffee to us and now I have a greater appreciation of why coffee costs what it does. Standing on a slope picking just the right beans is not an easy task. I do like Colombian coffee, it is the second best coffee in the world, this was told to us by the plantation owner. Jamaican blue mountain is just a wee bit better.
He said it with a smile.

Delsh

Another thumbs up for the aero press. Makes good coffee - but I'm not crazy picky. For travel, it's light, easy to store, simple to clean, and fits well on my yeti cup when brewing. Use one at home as well as on the road.

pith helmet

I have a small stainless Bialetti espresso pot I have been using for 20 years. Whether drip or espresso, Cafe Bustello has been my brand for at least that long.
I have used the French press on my JetBoil but it finally broke and I didn’t like it enough to replace it. I have used the Starbucks instant backpacking and it ain’t bad.
I always take tea on trips but never end up drinking it.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I think I've mentioned this before. FWIW. Been through pretty much every grinder, press, thermos, mug, titanium that, stainless steel this and coffee in the past 30 years and found the Starbuck Via's, Snowpeak mug and MSR pot to provide a great cup of coffee in the morning with minimal equipment and mess when living off a moto or Cruiser. Heck we even use Via's it in our Tiger.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Got a nice pour-over set for a gift recently, been alternating between that and the Aeropress day to day for a bit. Aeropress wins hands down, same quality of brew just so much less fuss

motovan_mn

I've never been able to find an instant I could tolerate, at least not in the US.

I remember when I was stationed in Korea there was some kind of instant coffee that came in a little tube that already had cream and sugar in it. Pour it into hot water and mix.

It was tolerable, IIRC, although I have to admit that when you're in the field in Korea in February pretty much any hot liquid is going to be acceptable so I'm not sure my standards were very high.

I know I'm quoting a post that's a couple years old, but are you talking about these instant coffee tubes? We LOVE these. Are they "good" coffee? No. But are they easy, tasty, and provide a nice little sugary boost in the afternoon? Hell yeah!

Any self-respecting Asian grocery store should carry these. We buy them in the 100-pack boxes.

Attachments

• PXL_20220414_172507365.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220414_172507365.MP.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles