Camper Builder Darrin Fink (RUF) Gets Well-Deserved Two Minutes of Television Fame

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
You could have knocked me over with a feather. I had the TV on in the background while doing computer work, and on this Travel Channel show Mega RV Countdown, they started talking about the "Ranch Hand RV" and there was Darrin with his old U1300 Mog Camper, driving it around his ranch.

specs-FR-view.jpg

Darrin and I were pretty good friends when we were both building campers, but haven't been in touch for a while. That's partly because he isn't much on the way to anywhere; his roughly 10,000 acre cattle ranch is located a good ways out of Douglas, Wyoming, up many miles of bad road. But his self-sufficiency carried over to his shop, which had about every tool, material and fastener one would want, which is important when the Home Depot is far away. In that shop, he built his Mog camper, a Fuso FG based camper, and the two imposing Fuso FM-based expedition motorhomes now owned by ExPo members, for which he did all the engineering to get Fuso to sanction the conversion to 4WD.

aatrec-fm204-1.jpg

Anyway, the video is about two minutes of stuff and thus not too deep. But you get to see Darrin with more beard and longer hair, and you get to see some of the beautiful ranch land he owns. And two minutes is enough to get you to think, "Boy, it must be cool to have so much scenic property that you can use your off-road motorhome without leaving home."

Interestingly, the same program--which my Tivo says is Epsiode 104--has an equally-glossed-over two minutes on another of my favorite trucks, the Goldberg's GXV Pategonia. Weird.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
You could have knocked me over with a feather. I had the TV on in the background while doing computer work, and on this Travel Channel show Mega RV Countdown, they started talking about the "Ranch Hand RV" and there was Darrin with his old U1300 Mog Camper, driving it around his ranch.

specs-FR-view.jpg

Darrin and I were pretty good friends when we were both building campers, but haven't been in touch for a while. That's partly because he isn't much on the way to anywhere; his roughly 10,000 acre cattle ranch is located a good ways out of Douglas, Wyoming, up many miles of bad road. But his self-sufficiency carried over to his shop, which had about every tool, material and fastener one would want, which is important when the Home Depot is far away. In that shop, he built his Mog camper, a Fuso FG based camper, and the two imposing Fuso FM-based expedition motorhomes now owned by ExPo members, for which he did all the engineering to get Fuso to sanction the conversion to 4WD.

aatrec-fm204-1.jpg

Anyway, the video is about two minutes of stuff and thus not too deep. But you get to see Darrin with more beard and longer hair, and you get to see some of the beautiful ranch land he owns. And two minutes is enough to get you to think, "Boy, it must be cool to have so much scenic property that you can use your off-road motorhome without leaving home."

Interestingly, the same program--which my Tivo says is Epsiode 104--has an equally-glossed-over two minutes on another of my favorite trucks, the Goldberg's GXV Pategonia. Weird.

Hi Mike,

Are those episodes available somewhere online??? I have a lot of time for Darrin too. Very clever guy.

Kind regards
John.

DzlToy

Explorer
saw the show, Darrin is a cool dude. Started reading his website when he was still married to Andie and just setting up shop in Wyoming, building all the off grid/homesteader stuff, etc.. Had to be 10-12 years ago or more now.

EuroJoe

Adventurer
Wow, I found his web site years ago when researching earth berm construction, we emailed a few times and he also has a rally style Porsche 911 if I remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior