Camp truck with VE power system up/running

SBDuller

this project is almost complete
needs a wire run from starter battery to the DC/DC charger
missing a few parts yet
now collecting sunshine with one 100W PV @94W
bulk charging all afternoon and then into absorption.
%SOC is a hard concept, I'll have to give this time
reading/reading manuals, and searching VE community for info's
fun so far
IMG_0180.JPG

rlynch356

Defyota
A question... with both the PV charger and the DC/DC hooked up do they prioritize one over the other Say when you are running the DC-DC charger is primary, or are they just both running. I was looking at adding a Victron DC-DC charger to my system when I switch batteries to lithium.

SBDuller

A good question, I do not know that answer. It's too early in my experience and research, and, though the DC/DC charger is mounted, it's not completely wired in.

The PV controller will alter it's activity based on what voltage it sees from the battery while the DC/DC charger is active

Last edited:

shade

The PV controller will alter it's activity based on what voltage it sees from the battery while the DC/DC charger is active
The same goes for the DC-DC charger.

I believe both controllers will sense the voltage at the battery, and respond as programmed. They don't need to be aware of what the other is doing.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Could someone tell me what is the purpose of the Smart BatteryProtect between the charge sources and the battery? I thought the Smart BatteryProtect was to prevent from discharging the battery too much. Is this a lithium thing? Also the negative output of the dc/dc charger is going to the left Smart BatteryProtect, isn't the Smart BatteryProtect positive on both sides?

SBDuller

Could someone tell me what is the purpose of the Smart BatteryProtect between the charge sources and the battery? I thought the Smart BatteryProtect was to prevent from discharging the battery too much. Is this a lithium thing? Also the negative output of the dc/dc charger is going to the left Smart BatteryProtect, isn't the Smart BatteryProtect positive on both sides?
In Li-ion mode the SBP acts as charge interrupter. The photo confuses, as the Orion smart's negative output is wired to the lithium battery Neg post below the SBP's. The SBP's are positive, but run in opposite direction to each other.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
For SOC get a tk15 coulombmeter, you can get a 50A one for about 25 dollars, if you use more amps they have larger models. Though they are mostly for lifepo4, they work on any battery . You program the battery capacity and the battery full voltage (example 14.4 volts for lead acid) . When the coulombmeter reads 14.4 volts it will show 100 percent. Then it starts counting amps in/out of your battery.

You want to attach the coulombmeter shunt as close to the battery terminals as possible so it reads the voltage directly from the battery it'll make it more accurate then what the solar charge controller or dc charger is, since they are a distance from the battery. If there is voltage drop, the tk15 will never read 14.4 volts. You would need to increase the bulk setting on the controller to compensate. I encounter voltage drop with lead acid for many years. With lead acid undercharging the battery will damage them.

On my system I also have a bright LED 90 volt 30 amp combometer (about 25 dollars). With this combometer I can see how many volts/amps are going into my battery in realtime. You can read it from a distance even in daylight. My solar controller has a LCD screen that show the same info but its too small to see.

tk15 coulombmeter
tk15 couloumb.jpg

90 volt 30 amp combmeter

xt60 connector large a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior