CAD help

Chorky

Observer
Anyone either 1) willing to do some cad workup drawings for me to help visualize some ideas I have, or 2) have any recommendations for free and easy cad programs I can possibly try myself if not able to source any assistance?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If you have zero CAD experience, google sketch up is free and popular.
I have limited CAD experience and find sketch up to be annoying, as it is a drawing program more than a precision design program, but it is really hard to compete with SolidWorks or any of the Auto Desk products on the cheap. Sketch up probably does half or more of the drawings you see in this forum.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Sketchup is free and pretty easy, and is awesome for knocking out concepts.

I've used it quite a bit.

43375618425_87a14cc5bc_b.jpg

43424152294_af6571079f_z.jpg

43382485575_2c7254c670_b.jpg

48628221398_af8c7a69b1_b.jpg

Chorky

Observer
does sketchup give capability for dimensions, so if I have a specific length/width to work with with known component sizes to see what actually fits? I'm assuming it would at least have some sort of measure tool?

85_Ranger4x4

Draftsight when it was free was awesome, as of the first of the year it is like $150/yr though. Nanocad isn't bad for a freebie.

I tried sketchup, I think it is more of an architectural thing. I used autocad in school (high school and college mechanical drafting) so autocad knockoffs feel more like home to me. Trying to draw parts with sketchup just drove me nuts. You can do dimensions though (it isn't like MS Paint where you just doodle stuff)

Last edited:

Chorky

Observer
Yeah I just realized the cost of sketchup. Not sure its worth the money to me for a couple of small projects when I can still just use graph paper... I was hoping it was one of them freebie ones.

85_Ranger4x4

Yeah I just realized the cost of sketchup. Not sure its worth the money to me for a couple of small projects when I can still just use graph paper... I was hoping it was one of them freebie ones.

It was free when I tried it... or else I wouldn't have tried it.

I like being able to drop off .dwg's at my local fab shop so they can burn parts out for me. I also have all my electrical additions documented in CAD too.

Chorky

Observer
I like being able to drop off .dwg's at my local fab shop so they can burn parts out for me. I also have all my wiring additions documented in CAD too.

agreed. which is why I'd like to have some drawings. If nothng else to make sure things fit right and that a product that is paid for is what is expected. Not that fab shops dont know what to do, but so were all on the same page.

85_Ranger4x4

agreed. which is why I'd like to have some drawings. If nothng else to make sure things fit right and that a product that is paid for is what is expected. Not that fab shops dont know what to do, but so were all on the same page.

And when you are doing your own thing it is really nice to print it 1:1 and have some way to sort of test fit it before you buy it too.

baylor

I’ve used Fusion360 since it has a hobby license. James Bruton used tinkercad when he made one of his BB8s if I remember correctly.

Here’s a model I created a few years ago for my Jurassic Park Jeep in Fusion360.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

I’ve used Fusion360 since it has a hobby license. James Bruton used tinkercad when he made one of his BB8s if I remember correctly.

Here’s a model I created a few years ago for my Jurassic Park Jeep in Fusion360.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I have something new to play with tonight...

Chorky

Observer
Another option if you want to pay somebody is fiverr.com - it may not be any cheaper than buying a license to an app yourself, but you're paying for a person's expertise too so you might end up with a better result.
Though a good option, due to experience and experties, I think this would end up in costing a lot more than I'm willing (or able) to pay simpley due to so many explanations needed and likely a lot of changes from original drawings/thoughts, as things just change over time. I think for now, I may just opt to use the good old graph paper and engineers scale, and see if the companies I'm working with will make up some sketches, after all they kinda need to for fabrication reasons.

Charles R

Adventurer
Fusion 360 was already mentioned. Another one is onshape. They also have a free level while still being pretty full featured.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
If you want high end cad software for personal use....

EAA.org has a $40 a year membership that gets you access to essentially a 'student' version of Solidworks

Launch Forth is free to join and allows you access to a free use current copy of SolidEdge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior