C5500 TopKick 4x4 Crew Cab Build

mog

Kodiak Wrangler
BUT, news flash..... After my 3rd blowout in 2 years, I switched to standard 24.5" commercial wheels and DRW. I've done three trips since the switch, all involving off-road, and I really don't notice a difference. Then again, I'm not pushing the limits. On the other hand, I've never understood the logic of pushing the limits in a truck that weighs almost 25,000lbs. It's scary to change a tire, let alone attempt a recovery.
<snip>
A lot of great info there, thanks! I'm guessing the blowouts were with XZLs? If so, do you think it was prolonged high speed driving (relative to the tire speed rating) or another cause?

I got my wheels and spacers from Stazworks. He knows the military wheels and tires as well as anybody. Since I'm in Utah, I've sourced replacement tires from Boyce Equipment.

BUT, news flash..... After my 3rd blowout in 2 years, I switched to standard 24.5" commercial wheels and DRW. I've done three trips since the switch, all involving off-road, and I really don't notice a difference. Then again, I'm not pushing the limits. On the other hand, I've never understood the logic of pushing the limits in a truck that weighs almost 25,000lbs. It's scary to change a tire, let alone attempt a recovery.

Switching back to DRW has made driving on the highway (where all three blowouts occurred at sub 65mph) a better experience. The truck tracks better, especially in the right lane "grooves". I'm far less stressed about carrying highway speeds, and I get a replacement tire/wheel just about anywhere. In addition, I had to replace the bushings on the front axle last fall. When looking at the worn bushings with the mechanic, we theorized that the extreme early wear could have been brought on by running the Hutchinson/MichXZL combo up front. I've developed an opinion that it's best to stick with a wheel and tire setup that adheres to the truck's specifications.

I'll be the first to admit that the big military wheels and tires look super cool. I'll also be the first to admit that I'm just too lazy to air up and air down tires of this size without a CTIS. It takes at least an hour to air back up from 50-60PSI to 105PSI. And my confidence in the surplus tires has diminished greatly. I tried to get the freshest ones available, but despite the specs on the XZLs indicating they'd be fine for SRW, I had one too many bad experiences. I was afraid every time put the chuck to the valve stem!

PS- I have 5 Stazworks wheels and 4 low miles XZLs that need a new home.....
I'm going to be building my rig on a RAM 5500 chassis and looking to be closer to 15k pounds than 25k pounds. Would you still recommend keeping the DRW setup? And if so, any preferences on something with good offroad tread?

NeverEnough

Adventurer
A lot of great info there, thanks! I'm guessing the blowouts were with XZLs? If so, do you think it was prolonged high speed driving (relative to the tire speed rating) or another cause?
I'm not certain of what caused each failure (all XZLs), as each situation was very different, except they all happened on pavement. Only one happened at the end of a long day of driving. I've always been paranoid of a tire failure, so I paid close attention to tire pressure. And I've always stopped every two hours to check heat buildup and usually set cruise to about 60mph. The last one happened in a blizzard and 20 degrees after 30 minutes on the highway. It's likely a combination of factors- vehicle weight, age of the tire, etc.

Reactions: mog

NeverEnough

Adventurer
I'm going to be building my rig on a RAM 5500 chassis and looking to be closer to 15k pounds than 25k pounds. Would you still recommend keeping the DRW setup? And if so, any preferences on something with good offroad tread?
I'm not a tire expert, and certainly not an expert on the topic of SRW vs DRW. But I know from personal experience that sourcing SRW components for a heavy rig (anything over 10,000lbs) isn't easy, and the military spec wheels and tires have the right numbers. As much as I like the idea and cost of surplus, I just don't want to be at the wheel of a big rig blowing a single again. I like to travel in my truck to have fun, and nothing about blowing one of those tires is fun. It's frightening during and after. And it causes damage. DRW diminishes the fear factor of a blowout, so I can have more fun!

My wheels are 24.5, so choices are limited and boring. Currently have the General Grabber OD's. I didn't do a lot of research, just have a lot of trust in the guys at SLC's Tire World Commercial Truck Center. They've been kind enough to work on my truck's funky setup for years and are one of the few places that will mess with big split rims.

I'm not a tire expert, and certainly not an expert on the topic of SRW vs DRW. But I know from personal experience that sourcing SRW components for a heavy rig (anything over 10,000lbs) isn't easy, and the military spec wheels and tires have the right numbers. As much as I like the idea and cost of surplus, I just don't want to be at the wheel of a big rig blowing a single again. I like to travel in my truck to have fun, and nothing about blowing one of those tires is fun. It's frightening during and after. And it causes damage. DRW diminishes the fear factor of a blowout, so I can have more fun!

My wheels are 24.5, so choices are limited and boring. Currently have the General Grabber OD's. I didn't do a lot of research, just have a lot of trust in the guys at SLC's Tire World Commercial Truck Center. They've been kind enough to work on my truck's funky setup for years and are one of the few places that will mess with big split rims.
Similar to you, I'm not a tire expert myself. I'm assuming theres a max width you can run on the tires before the rear tires crowd themselves together?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yash5134