C4500 Ambulance Camper

Korey H

so...if i were just starting my build I'd go with what you did Korey - 1st attack and mpt81's

i'm not done with singles...but for now i'm going to run it on the 22.5's and finally go find places to sleep in it. i'll revisit the tires and wheels after I put some miles on these, for reference if anyone else is in the tire/wheel hell now or in the future I put the style/size below. Initially it was REALLY hard to look at it on these skinny tires, i've gotten more used to it especially after I finally did about a 200 mile road test and found it to be 'acceptable'. I still do not like how close the inside dual tire is to the rear airbags...i figure it's unlikley a rock or something could get kicked up and wedge or slice the bag....but with only 1/2" it wouldn't take much to find its way in there even for a second.

rear: Sailun S753 EFT 255/70R-22.5
front: Sailun S637 255/70R-22.5
wheels - 4 alcoa / 2 steel *** with rear air bags on this rig I had to mount the rear alcoa inside and the steel on the outside due to different offset, that gives only about 1/2" tire to bag clearance

Really looks great! Yep the diverted is cool and graphics killer too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
thanks, that was an early choice in this build - one of many things that if i were doing this build again I don't think I would've done. My initial plan was to completely 'civilianize' the truck and remove as much hint of its former life as possible... I wouldn't do that again i think (now) half the fun is rolling around in a monster ex-emergency vehicle. While I will fight the urge to replace this truck and do it all again... I could totally see me wanting to do it all again in a few years.

It'll be interesting to see what my mpg's are on the first big trip. I have an air-dog lift/filter pump, a mild tune, and a 3rd grade education so i'll post up results for all who are curious about such matters. I also plan to get it on a scale with full water tanks to see where im at

cjken

Explorer
That’s great Jim.
Would love to hear how your trip goes!!

I managed to lay some floor down. Moving slightly forward with my super slow progress.
51af347b34ada8b7291a606a54db47df.jpg

326a9bd0b6ceea0b144d8c1adb383631.jpg

a643b92bfde91dd064f5aff815c5f097.jpg

Next up will be cutting the left rear cabinet down lower and planning/experimenting with my elevator bed concept. Hoping to get a prototype rigged this upcoming weekend.

cjken

Explorer
Does anyone have any awning suggestions?
I was thinking of putting one in the area that is between the doors on the passenger side. (Yellow Mark)
I don’t want to put one all the way across the top since the truck is so tall.
cb0731891e0e2111ed4b00778b8e6572.jpg

Also maybe small one over the rear doors.

aba6a7a540e2c1c26f7f9dcbfef9148d.jpg

Not really sure yet. Just thinking it through.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Does anyone have any awning suggestions?
I was thinking of putting one in the area that is between the doors on the passenger side. (Yellow Mark)
I don’t want to put one all the way across the top since the truck is so tall.
Also maybe small one over the rear doors.
Not really sure yet. Just thinking it through.
I just use an EZ-Up type Awning as it can be used where it is needed; either side, rear, down by the river, etc. I've found the 8x8s are significantly smaller than the 10x10s so much easier to store and move. With the benefit of nothing mounted to the truck to get ripped off by branches or issues with height with the campers being so tall.
Also handy at the swapmeet went you are selling stuff to afford super singles :LOL:

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
Floor looks great! I went with a similar color

I arrived at a similar conclusion to Mog and didn’t install an awning on the truck. I’m sure they’re very handy and might put one on the back someday for quick shelter, but decided I didn’t necessarily want to sit right up against my truck when I’m out in the world- plus it’s something to snag on and yet more ‘sail’ area while traveling on the super slab

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Kings showed up today.
(y) Alright (y)
I'm going to need shocks in the future, so it is awesome you will be doing all the testing.
What part numbers are those and how did you settle on them?
I look forward to hearing how they work out and your recommendations.

OverlandFT

Looking good! I recently built an "elevator bed" in my camper too. What are your plans for the lifting mechanism?

cjken

Explorer
@mog I’ll let you know once I get them on and drive a bit.
I took the truck out today in the snow and it did really well in 4x4.

Last edited:

cjken

Explorer
Looking good! I recently built an "elevator bed" in my camper too. What are your plans for the lifting mechanism?

As of now I’m going to just do a simple winch system. It should be simple and cost effective. I had a whole bunch of different ideas that would have been fun to try, but I found a harbor freight ATV winch for 50 bucks.
I’m going to have the winch move with the bed frame because I think that will make the cable routing simpler. Thinking of using some Igus flexible wire carrier to keep the wires from the winch neat as the bed moves.
I can always change it if it is sub-optimal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior