Boltrippers Khaya Camper Build

SimplyAnAdventure

Wow!!!! Don’t know how I never saw this thread before. I’m blown away your camper looks AMAZING!

Here are a few shots of mine. Very similar to yours, fully loaded with every option. I also skipped the spare tire mount and prefer to run my 255 85 R16 in the stock location.

That said I am so envious of your trash holder! Is that something you can sell? I’d be more than happy to pay for one exactly like yours to mount identical to that. Please consider helping a fellow Khaya owner out.

I also love some of your mods, I added a shower cube to mine, the proper National Luna fridge plate, as well as a stainless steel step inside mine where you step up onto the bed. It seemed on mine that this metal was just too thin and would deflect slightly (probably when i had too much whisky and jumped down hard at night lol) that said the stainless portion I added is bomber!!!! It’s fully supported by the framing now.

Finally what CO detector is that? I have one but it’s not nearly as nice as yours and doesn’t mount up as well. I’d like to
Change mine over to that one to get it out of the way.

Are you by chance on Tacoma World? I’m much much more active over there but I’d love to keep up with your build. Thank you in advance for any help.

59D04C33-B5BD-4189-9BBE-1462A5920D9C.jpeg765B1A0A-E831-48AD-8C8E-7F7D31A69B7A.jpeg2BA6599B-E95D-455A-8AE3-DD9C6B2E5BB0.jpeg

Big Rudy

Those are impressive looking hulls on those paddle boats! Would you mind sharing the length, weight, make and model?
Thanks!

Boltripper

The Camper and extras are up for sale..

Kind regards,

John

Spencer for Hire

So, I'll apologize now but I want to show this camper, setup and additions in a heavier level of detail. So if you will bear with me this will have a slower progression as I'd like to have more detailed photos and even some videos of the camper and its detail.

I would also like this to be a dedicated thread that you can ask specific questions or make specific requests to see things in more detail. I'll do my best to accommodate those requests and get @rino involved if required.

First, lets not be shy, but this is a big purchase for anyone. I think it imperative to take everything into consideration before going down this route. The newer canopy camper is a great product and the price point is also significantly less.

Having said that, there are many pros and cons for each platform. For me, I liked the thought of designing and building out the interior in a more custom layout if I went canopy, but while I'm very mechanically inclined, wood working is not my forte'. The Khaya is well thought-out, and like anything it will never meet all our needs perfectly. To start, I'm a solo traveler. My wife just isn't into Overlanding or camping and that's totally cool and both my girls are now at the age where they are into other things... So, Space for 1 is really all I need.

The Khaya provides ample room for inside meal prep with a Dometic HSG 2445 dual burner hob and sink combination and the capacity to have a 60L Fridge / Freezer co-located just to the left of the stove and sink. Below the sink is a slide out cutting board, that would be much better suited as an additional pull out drawer. Below the pull out cutting board is (2) drawers for cutlery, utensils and spices as an example. below that is a zipper compartment with enough room for a small portable toilet, paper towels or other under sink type supplies.

View attachment 605112

View attachment 605122

This brings me to how Alu-Cab saves weight on this type of camper and that is the use of canvas type fabric Vs. traditional wood or aluminum drawer and cabinet design. The entire campers interior is with their signature gray fabric trimmed in orange. Its nice, but if you are an Alabama fan and not an Auburn Tiger fan this might cause some angst.. I'm originally from Pittsburgh, so college football doesn't really do it for me. I prefer the black and gold with skates and fights on the ice.

View attachment 605119

The front of the camper has some ample storage compartments, one is enough for a full size front runner with a large plastic tote on top, plus room for sleeping gear or other bags. This is where I store my dry food and larger bulky gear.

The 21 Gallon fresh water tank is mounted below this section making it with the lowest center of gravity possible and its also centered in the camper. Nicely done~

The floor section is where the house battery lives, a Group 31 AGM and also the Duetto electric hot water heater. With the camper using propane for the stove, I was hopeful that the water heater would also be propane, but after using the electric unit its nice to get an uninterrupted flow of hot water as unlike propane, the electric unit holds and preheats about 3 gallons. I just turn it on about 15 minutes prior to reaching camp and I'm ready for a hot shower when I arrive. The obvious drawback is that you'll need to run the truck if stationary to heat the water as it would be too much for the battery system.

The drivers side of the interior has a place on the floor with a bracket for front runner chairs. (2) button head bolts and it was easily removed and now my Partner Steel 18" dual burner stove fits nicely in that spot, out of the way.

View attachment 605124

View attachment 606496

Above that area, under the cushion is a storage spot for other items such as clothing or smaller camping gear. Finally next to the entrance is a larger lower area where I keep a large first aid kit and boots / shoes. The compartment above the floor section has keeps the Shadow Awn, Awning Gutter and I keep a full 2 sets of terrycloth bath towels, washcloths and basic towels for around camp.

View attachment 605127

One really cool, well thought out feature was the coffee pass through. Just above the cushion in the above section is a swing in access door that holds mugs, cups and 3 nice size Tupperware containers. This will open through the inside of the camper so I can get coffee going without having to leave the interior of the camper in inclement weather, or I'm just too lazy to get out in the morning.

View attachment 605128

The space between the seating area and stove / sink / fridge are is ample, but I would have loved for a few more inches to be given to the interior seats. Alu-Cab could have shrunk the door a few inches on each side and still provided a good middle pass through section while increasing cushion size. Again, give and take in any product and situation, but overall the interior of the campers footprint is not cramped by any means.

Cheers,

John
Who makes the cabinet that the stove sits in? Thank You

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12