BoldAdventures 2015 Power Wagon Build

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I love the pics and videos, always enjoy seeing you post new stuff. Watching your videos almost makes me want a Power Wagon, almost lol. Your cinematography is excellent, improve your comedic lines a bit and clean up your cut-aways and you'll do even better.

17RamDiesel

I would be VERY interested in getting one of these racks which hold your tent. The URLs in the post are expired. I am unsure if that is your side, website side or mine so I cannot see much of it. Has your buddy started making these for retail yet? I was JUST about ready to pull the trigger on another model I saw, but this one strikes me even more. GREAT truck! Kind of makes me wish I had purchased a PW over the 2017 Off-road Diesel.

mikekey

Deplorable
I would be VERY interested in getting one of these racks which hold your tent. The URLs in the post are expired. I am unsure if that is your side, website side or mine so I cannot see much of it. Has your buddy started making these for retail yet? I was JUST about ready to pull the trigger on another model I saw, but this one strikes me even more. GREAT truck! Kind of makes me wish I had purchased a PW over the 2017 Off-road Diesel.

My friend Marcus is the one who makes, them. He has about 5 in production now I think he was telling me.

You can email him directly at: sales@dethloffmfg.com

URL:https://dethloffmfg.com/shop/rambox-truck-rack/

The standard bed rack is being built. He's been building these as an order by order basis so each one is customized to user wants. I'm really happy with it.

Is there an option for my 2018 non-ram box which would also allow use of a tonneau cover? I would love to have one, but I love having a tonneau cover more.

OMAdv

Reliability and rattles

Still no issues with the PW? I'm back and forth between a PW or a Tundra. Have heard others complain about rattles and lots of small issues with the RAM trucks compared to Toyota but from reading that doesn't seem to be your experience. Is that a fair statement?

Thanks.

mikekey

Deplorable
Knock on wood, I've had zero issues, and I've never heard of issues with rattles. Problems I don't have. Hope my luck doesn't run out. I've heard bad things about 3rd gen's though, I'd stay away from that era. I've also heard 2010-203 will most likely need most of the front suspension replaced.

I have seen some issues with the 2017's crop up on the forums. I dunno if it's because the redesigned styling attracted a lot of new buyers or what. But the 2017 suposedly has surpassed all previous model years for the Power Wagon. WOW

Most of that seems to be around oddities too. I haven't seen a consistent trend.

Dalko43

Explorer
Still no issues with the PW? I'm back and forth between a PW or a Tundra. Have heard others complain about rattles and lots of small issues with the RAM trucks compared to Toyota but from reading that doesn't seem to be your experience. Is that a fair statement?

Thanks.

The older Ram's from the early to mid 2000's (Dodge back then) were not well built IMHO. I've looked at more than few used ones and their bodies, interiors and engine bays look like crap. Previous ownership plays a huge role in that, but I see Fords and Toyotas of similar age and mileage and they generally look much better.

Post 2013 (4th generation), Ram has really upped their game. Their interiors are of higher quality and the overall chassis is much better built. I wouldn't hesitate to compare a modern 3/4 ton Ram to a Tundra in terms of overall build quality.

mikekey

Deplorable
The older Ram's from the early to mid 2000's (Dodge back then) were not well built IMHO. I've looked at more than few used ones and their bodies, interiors and engine bays look like crap. Previous ownership plays a huge role in that, but I see Fords and Toyotas of similar age and mileage and they generally look much better.

Post 2013 (4th generation), Ram has really upped their game. Their interiors are of higher quality and the overall chassis is much better built. I wouldn't hesitate to compare a modern 3/4 ton Ram to a Tundra in terms of overall build quality.

Yeah I agree. But how many times has Chrysler changed ownership? Diamler basically raided Chrysler during those years. I think overall the company really hurt it's reputation. GM hurt itself badly with badge engineering and watering down it's lines. But Chrysler and it's lines were just crap boxes across the board.

When FCA came and took over they have done an amazing job with qaulity. Also, spinning RAM off into a seperate brand was a good idea, they've allowed the team to really innovate and improve the truck line. They've let RAM & JEEP do their own thing and right now as a result, both are the most profitable divisons. There was talk of just spinning both off into their own entities. Jeep being the most profitable right now.

Although, I think spinning RAM off was an attempt to distance from the "Dodge" reputation, that's going to take a LONG time becuase people still call them Dodges. I also think that's why they are SLAPPING gaint RAM letters on the new trucks.

And it's a hard rep to break. I was always a Chevy guy. And when I started looking for a truck, I decided to check out Ford and Ram, and Ram really impressed me. I was hesitant too, but I've owned two now, a 2010 & a 2015 and I've had zero issues on the 2015 and one issue on the 2010. And that was an exhuast bolt.

I feel like Toyota though has really fallen off their game with the 3rd gen Tacoma and the lastest Tundra personally. 1st and 2nd gen Tacomas were fun, but the latest is like a boring Camry. Tundra just does nothing for me. I don't believe the realibility hype. I've seen all the problems on Tacoma world guys have. Especially when Toyota never fixes a problem everyone has. Just go read the forums.

But really all the brands have their issues. I think the big 4 have made huge improvements in the past decade in terms or realibility and quality. They got the message back when Tundra and Titan were the new exciting trucks on the market. And they've come a long way. To much at stake now, the market is very competive to be turning out complete crap boxes.

It's a good time to be an automotive enthusist.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
We are indeed in the modern Golden Age of vehicles. Numerous makes with factory turbos and super chargers, HP numbers eclipsing 800 on factory cars under $100K, it's nuts. I think the domestic vehicles got a huge boost post bailout, they really had no choice but to innovate or die, if they didn't Toyota and Nissan would have ruled the roost for good. In terms of trucks I agree that Toyota has gotten long in the tooth and they are still surviving off of the boringly reliable tag while failing to keep up with tech or continuing to improve performance, but that's all going to change here in the next few years. IMHO, Ford and Dodge are the top contenders at the moment in the truck game, I love to hate on GM whenever given the chance, but I truly see them in a distant third regardless, their 2019 MY offerings in the half-ton market might change that though. The good thing is that the Big Three are constantly striving to push the envelope in this market and I hope it's a trend that continues for some time, the consumer deserves better when the window stickers are pushing into the $70,000+ range.

Dalko43

Explorer
Agree with much of the above.

The good thing is that the Big Three are constantly striving to push the envelope in this market and I hope it's a trend that continues for some time, the consumer deserves better when the window stickers are pushing into the $70,000+ range.

I get that trucks can be optioned up to $70k MSRP's, but the fact is you can still get basic, bare bones 3/4 tons for ~$40k, or less for a 1/2 ton. No one is forcing the consumer to pay those exorbitant prices for the higher trim levels. Those $70k 3/4 ton's see massive depreciation in their first 2-3 years of ownership. It makes more sense to buy them used or to get a lower trim level IMO.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Agree with much of the above.

I get that trucks can be optioned up to $70k MSRP's, but the fact is you can still get basic, bare bones 3/4 tons for ~$40k, or less for a 1/2 ton. No one is forcing the consumer to pay those exorbitant prices for the higher trim levels. Those $70k 3/4 ton's see massive depreciation in their first 2-3 years of ownership. It makes more sense to buy them used or to get a lower trim level IMO.

Oh without a doubt, but most have upgraditis, I am guilty of it myself. In regards to depreciation with the higher-end trim levels, well it's all dependent on your market. Here in Texas the Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum trims are what sell, and I can tell you from personal experience, they hold their value quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles