BMW X5, anyone ever done one?

CLynn85

Explorer
If most of your travels won't involve anything tooo challenging or tooo far off the beaten path, I'd say go for it. It seems that so many get wrapped up in building the perfect vehicle and never really get to use it, rather than just tweaking what they have and getting out there with it, myself sometimes included.

Nomad_K

Adventurer
As an FYI, Hartge has an offroad suspension and some underbody armor for the X3 and X5.

I looked at a certified X3 and considered going this route, but the lift is small, clearance is still limited, blah blah blah.

That said, if you have an X5, like it, and want to expand its capabilities, the Hartge suspension and armor, or armor fabricated by a local shop would be an interesting possibility. And depending on the cost of the Hartge setup (I emailed them, never heard back), you could look at a set of Fox or Bilstein shocks and some custom springs from a dedicated off-road shop.

Cody1771

Explorer
thanks for the info!

they look pricey, it says they are still devoloping the E53 chassis system. i think it would be cheaper to get "custom" parts made up. skid plates would be easy enough as it already has a full set of poly skid plates so mock up would be easy enough. my only concern is the control arms. i think they might need to be upgraded. boxing them in with steel plate might be an option. i have found a airbag delete kit for them so it would be easy enough to bypass the auto leveling system and just get some longer springs to get the lift. i dont tow with it so the airbags are somewhat unnecessary. will take lots of research and some back road ingenuity to figure out. but its been fun!

Last edited:

Cody1771

Explorer
If most of your travels won't involve anything tooo challenging or tooo far off the beaten path, I'd say go for it. It seems that so many get wrapped up in building the perfect vehicle and never really get to use it, rather than just tweaking what they have and getting out there with it, myself sometimes included.

exactly, as much as i want a dedicated offroad/overland vehicle i just dont know if i can justify the cost of having 2 vehicles.

mdnky

-- -.. -. -.- -.--
Go for it. You'd be amazed at the places you could take a stock X5 on "snow tires". I know 2 or 3 people who got in places they shouldn't have been and made it out while more traditional rigs got stuck. With the right setup, it should handle most Expo duty just fine. The only downside is the probability of damage on the trail and the lack of easy parts (both in the field for repair and for aftermarket customization.) Having custom skidplates made (from aluminum) would be a priority.

As far as rims, might be worth keeping a set for off-road use and a set for normal driving. Chevy used the same bolt pattern on 2nd generation S10s and Blazers (95-03ish) but had a slightly smaller hub bore (72.6mm for BMW, 70.3mm for Chevy.) They might be able to be milled to fit properly. 4wd models had about 5.5" to 6" of backspace while 2wd models were 3.75. Not sure if the BMW uses a lug or hub centric setup, the Chevy ones are hub centric.

If it were me, I'd do this: You could look into a take-off set of e36 M3 5-spoke rims. They're light, very rugged, can be had relatively cheap ($200 ea, refinished) and fit correctly in either a 17x7.5" or 17x8.5". If I remember correctly, these are also forged (not cast) so they're much stronger than most aftermarket options.
BMW e36 M3 5spoke rim.jpg

Tires in 235/65-17 (29" dia) and 255/55-18 (29" dia) can be had and are stock sizes. In 235/65-17 you can use the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S or the Pirelli Scorpion ATR. In 255/55-18 you can use the Pirelli Scorpion ATR, Bridgestone Revo 2 or General Grabber AT2 (best bet.)

BFG offers their new Rugged Terrain in a 235/70-17 (30" dia) and a 245-65/17 (29.5" dia.) They might fit. I just put a set on an F250 and they ride amazingly smooth yet look to be aggressive enough for most Expo use. Definitely more aggressive than the other AT/HT hybrids like the Revo 2, Geolander AT-S and Dynapro ATM. They look more aggressive in person than in the pictures, at least the 275/70-18 ones do.

BFG Rugged Terrain.jpeg

Last edited:

adv2016

I worked for a BMW dealer for a few years.. the X5 is not an off road vehicle. bending componets seems to be the punnishment for off road use, the owners manual even states to avoid un-paved roads. but as far as lux offroading, the older MB ML320's and VW touareg do a pretty good job.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Order "Race to Dakar" on Netflicks if you have it, or here it is for sale
http://www.amazon.com/Race-Dakar-Charley-Boorman/dp/0751538175

The support vehicle was a modified and BMW X5 there is plenty of footage of it, and is an interesting show.

Ha! I was just thinking about that. Saw it several years ago.

My most enduring memory of that series was when they snapped one of the "wishbones" from the X5's rear suspension. They literally had to sit in the middle of the Sahara desert for 4 or 5 days while a replacement component was flown in from Germany and then trucked out to them (in a 40-series Land Cruiser pickup, no less! :p )

I mean, you could probably do a lot with the X5, but I'll bet an Outback would get you just as far and cost a whole lot less....

If I was to go off-roading in a luxury vehicle (which I wouldn't, BTW), it would be a Touareg, because unlike the X5 that vehicle has low range.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
In the last year that you were using it did you ever NOT go someplace you wanted to go because you didn't think the vehicle was capable enough? If the answer to that is no, then I'd say leave it alone and keep using it for what you're doing! It sounds like you just want a comfortable truck to drive to and from a campsite, I'd say it's probably fine the way it is.

I'm at the point with my car where I'm really starting to question if I NEED to go any further for my needs. But I'm still young and stupid, so I'll probably keep going :)

morgandc

The issues I want to address on my X5 for exploring are:

Spare tire or two: Currently I am running run flat tires without a spare during my day to day life and a there isn't a spot for a full size spare. This would mean either storing a spare inside, custom bumper or rack on the roof. Currently the best option seems to be a rack on the roof for that month a year I head out with the airstream in tow and leave the fj40 at home.

Winch: I wish there was a winch bumper available, I may need to go portable winch and figure out a way to mount a receiver hitch on the front. I am just not comfortable running solo without a winch very far from the asphalt.

-Dwight

digitaldelay

Explorer
The issues I want to address on my X5 for exploring are:

Spare tire or two: Currently I am running run flat tires without a spare during my day to day life and a there isn't a spot for a full size spare. This would mean either storing a spare inside, custom bumper or rack on the roof. Currently the best option seems to be a rack on the roof for that month a year I head out with the airstream in tow and leave the fj40 at home.

-Dwight

Definitely should have a full size spare while towing. What about carrying it in/on the trailer?
Jason

morgandc

Definitely should have a full size spare while towing. What about carrying it in/on the trailer?
Jason

It is a small trailer with only about 900lbs available before water and belongings...so it is pretty much spoken for. I will likely have a bicycle or two on the back of the trailer on some trips. I am also planning one small 2k generator being mounted on the trailer tongue, possibly both. So the portable fridge, extra generator, emergency/exploration gear, camera bag and winch go in the x5. I might have to confine the dog to only 1/3 of the back seat and just put it all inside the X5. It would just be nice to have some of the options the other rigs have. Slide the winch in the front bumper and setup the rear bumper to hold a couple jerry cans and the spare tire. Also, the trailer won't be with me on day trips when I may need the spare tire.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
It is a small trailer with only about 900lbs available before water and belongings...so it is pretty much spoken for. I will likely have a bicycle or two on the back of the trailer on some trips. I am also planning one small 2k generator being mounted on the trailer tongue, possibly both. So the portable fridge, extra generator, emergency/exploration gear, camera bag and winch go in the x5. I might have to confine the dog to only 1/3 of the back seat and just put it all inside the X5. It would just be nice to have some of the options the other rigs have. Slide the winch in the front bumper and setup the rear bumper to hold a couple jerry cans and the spare tire. Also, the trailer won't be with me on day trips when I may need the spare tire.

You could weld a 2" reciever onto the rear of the trailer and use one of the "hitch gate" spare tire carriers on it. Then on your solo trips, you can move that and the spare to the X5. That would solve most of your problems other than the winch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online