Bluetooth Module for Kenwood D710

BagiMT

Naturalist
How are you feeding gps in to your d710? Or do you have a d710g* ?
I added a GPS module as well as the Bluetooth module inside the head unit of a D710. Pretty straight forward. See the link I posted above.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

dreadlocks

yeah I saw that, love it.. wish I saw it the first time around, dunno how I missed it.. I'm pretty sure I found the com port now worked via github comments.

Imna make a small proto board to connect my level shifter and bluetooth modules together directly, desolder the db9 plug and stuff it all in for the next phase, but I'm going out in the field this weekend so I'll get a bunch of testing in before that.. I'll do it again for the main unit in the trunk for rig control/chirp.. it'll be nice being able to stuff the memory w/repeaters relevant for the expo from my pixelbook on demand and no wires.. it'll also run APRSDroid for the old lady back at camp via Wifi in the trailer.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Imna make a small proto board to connect my level shifter and bluetooth modules together directly, desolder the db9 plug and stuff it all in for the next phase,
Sometimes you'll see this module pop up on Amazon or eBay from various vendors. It's handy and might save you a bunch of time since they are usually around $10. They have an HC-06 BT module on top and an STMico ST3232 (or sometimes a knock-off SP3232) on the back. The ones I've seen are marked "JY-MCU" and "BT<->RS232" on the back.

My hat's off to whomever laid it out, it's very clever. It might be a noise fiend, haven't run it through MIL-STD-461 testing or anything, but it seems to functions fine.

iu.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Made a few changes in the APRS station @dreadlocks. Went from the Argent T3-301 to this TT4/SD125V2 combo. I have never been fully satisfied with how hot the T3-301 settles to in this application.

The case on them is a simple folded sheet steel instead of die cast aluminum that is more typical for industrial data radios. The features and electrical specifications for the Maxon/Midland are almost identical to the Friendcom FC-301 Argent was reselling.

Interesting, though, I am getting fewer packets repeated and gated. So there may be configuration differences I haven't adjusted for in the TNC or with the radio. I am now leveraging the DCD (carrier detect) the radio outputs which I wasn't before and this radio has BCLO (channel busy lock out, prevents TX if the radio isn't squelched) so it just may be that it's being kinder to the network.

IMG_2490_mid.jpg

dreadlocks

If you get within range of my igate you can see some pretty useful info about the signal report: https://igate.nayr.net/

Code:
Digipeater WIDE2 (probably BADGR) audio level = 33(12/12)   [NONE]   ||||||:__

Audio Level you want to try to land as a whole number or close to it as yeh can.. (12/12), lower means low volume, higher means high volume.. none means no error correcting needed, the 7 bars means 7 of 9 filters decoded it, the colon means one filter decoded it with 1 bit of error correction, and the two underscores mean two filters were unable to decode.. you'll never see all filters decode but you should see a good portion of em.. if only like one or two or only ECC then im struggling to decode the packet.. You can find a better description in the Direwolf user manual.

If DW is getting a good signal, then its probably is just playing nicer and trying to not stomp on anyone.. or your squelch could too low and with all the mountain top repeaters your never finding an open slot, at night time the traffic is much less in the metro.. would be a good time to test and see if it starts gating more of your packets.

DaveInDenver

That is cool!

Bear in mind I live in Grand Junction so it's not a high traffic area and I'm working through one of three digipeaters and one of two Igates. So collisions are actually very uncommon (like >90% packet success on first try) but range and aspect between stations can be, especially mobile.

So I absolutely suspect levels and timing and I have not yet really checked so it is only tuned by ear at this point. I'll get around to it.

Eventually...

IMG_2495_mid.jpg

unsung

I have been looking at this Kenwood for my first mobile. It seems like it has been out a few years, how regularly to these models get replaced by the next great thing?

unsung

I just don’t want to buy the 710 and find out a few months later that the 720 so to say is coming out and is that much improved.

DaveInDenver

I think the original TM-D700 was released around 1999 and the TM-710A was introduced in 2008. The only thing the 710 lacked really was built-in GPS, which they added in the TM-D710GA.

There's always a chance the 710 could get replaced but I wouldn't consider that as an important criteria for selecting a ham radio unless there is specifically a feature you really want or expect the radio will get. There's nothing really in the radio that needs corrected so the model will be made as long as it continues to sell and components are available to build them. The inability to get a key component or a suitable substitute is the most likely reason Kenwood would discontinue it IMO. Adding a digital mode is the only other reason and that would be a new model. Is that something you need?

If Kenwood does bring out a new model tomorrow it wouldn't be something I'd personally buy immediately anyway. The first batch of any new model always has production glitches so you'd want to wait a year to see. Then buy in and sell the TM-D710, which will sell easily for years to come and will get snapped up no problem on the used market. It's a very popular radio.

Heck, I watch casually for an Icom IC-7000 to replace one I sold some years ago. But when they come up they sell quickly and not all that cheap, often as much as a new radio. So some models are I guess like the Tacoma of the ham radio world, inexplicably valued over others.

Last edited:

unsung

Ok, just bought this.

Any recommendations for an antenna? I will likely mount it with one of the Trail Tailor mounts.

unsung

Thanks, I bought one and the spring coil. In the meantime I wanted to order a cable for it, looks like I need a PL-259 for the radio end, but can’t really tell what connector is used for the antenna side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior