Blaspheme or Ode to History?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I say do what you want with your vehicle. As long as you don't tell people it *is* a real CT truck, you're fine.

revor

Explorer
What is wrong with Spinners (other than the obvious?)

On a more serious note I have always been partial to Marine blue (
DuPont 38503) and Pastel green (38504). And 88's look great in Red (38506) but I think it's too much for a 109.
SandGlow is a cool and Iconic color buuuut (Ditzler I think 26291)

Blueboy

Adventurer
On a more serious note I have always been partial to Marine blue

yes, I would have to agree on that!

when we lived in Brasil and 110s were still being made there, they did a special run and painted them Sandglow.

my wife commented when we actually saw one, it look like baby poop!!

the color never was the same for me afterwards.

Jaime

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
yes, I would have to agree on that!

when we lived in Brasil and 110s were still being made there, they did a special run and painted them Sandglow.

my wife commented when we actually saw one, it look like baby poop!!

the color never was the same for me afterwards.

Jaime

Well, I have yet to name him/her... "Baby Poop"... nope, doesn't work for me.:coffeedrink:

I know what I don't want: something dark, like dark blue, dark green, dark red, etc. I like Jeff's idea of no clear coat.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
The series 1's had a nice grey color with navy (RAF actually) blue wheels /frame etc. It is my all time favorite factory paint scheme.

-Jeff

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
If you actually want to take into the third world and are worried about being taken as military, just go with white-

all the aid agencies UN red cross etc etc all use white vehicles..

A UN sticker on the side of an LC got me out of Libya and through all the road blocks without stopping.

It was borrowed as we were late for a plane !!.....out of Tunisia

Any big 4x4 loaded with gear gets attention, you cannot blend in as such

hence the odd, wonderfull and covering with stickers of most overland trucks..

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
If you actually want to take into the third world and are worried about being taken as military, just go with white-

all the aid agencies UN red cross etc etc all use white vehicles..

A UN sticker on the side of an LC got me out of Libya and through all the road blocks without stopping.

It was borrowed as we were late for a plane !!.....out of Tunisia

Any big 4x4 loaded with gear gets attention, you cannot blend in as such

hence the odd, wonderfull and covering with stickers of most overland trucks..

What prompted me to seek another colour other than white was an article I read about white Land Rovers being identified as military or American, thus equating to money. I like white b/c it can hide a lot of pin striping, etc. But putting a UN sticker on the side... is that something I could even legally do? Plus, is it something I want to represent? I don't agree with all the decisions of the UN.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Can you dig up a pic for me?

here is what i found doing a quick search.

Body color
107sw01.jpg

wheel color
SI86.jpg

-Jeff

TeriAnn

Explorer
The series 1's had a nice grey color with navy (RAF actually) blue wheels /frame etc. It is my all time favorite factory paint scheme.

Since we seem to be drifting into factory colour options I thought I would throw in the contents from a draft web page that I have not uploaded to the server. Yes I actually have about a dozen partially completed web pages on different subjects that are not in my Land Rover web site

----------------- Draft web page --------------------

Land Rover had a standard colours and paint schemes each year for painting new civilian Land Rovers. However, military, commercial fleet and special built vehicles could get any colour and paint scheme they wanted. So there will always be exceptions to whatever was available from the dealer on various models for each year. Of course 35+ years later, you are likely to see any colour combination on any Land Rover.

Land Rover colours for Series II, IIA & III through 1974

Pastel Green 1959 - 1984
Bronze Green 1959 - 1988
Deep Olive Green 1970 - 1971
Lincoln green 1970 - 1984
Wildlife green 1972 0nly, Australia only
Java Green - Stage I only
Marine Blue 1958 - 1987
Tuscan blue 1972 - 1987
Pagent Blue Stage I only
Limestone 1959 - 1984
Poppy Red - 1959 - 1968
Masai Red 1970 - 1985, Stage I & County models only
Russet Brown - SIII County model only
Sand 1959 - 1984
Bahama Gold - 1971 - 1989
Inca Yellow Stage I only
Mid grey 1959 - 1984
dark grey (burnt gray) 1959 - 1968

Sandglow "Camel trophy Yellow"

Wheels
Series II - body coloured
Series IIA, III - Limestone

Doors & door tops - body coloured

Lift doors - Limestone on limestone tops

Roof sides
Stationwagon - body coloured
regular - limestone

Roof tops
Stationwagon -Early - body coloured with limestone sun shield Late - (1968 & later??) entire top painted limestone
regular - white
pickup top - body coloured, sun shield limestone

Adventurer
What prompted me to seek another colour other than white was an article I read about white Land Rovers being identified as military or American, thus equating to money. I like white b/c it can hide a lot of pin striping, etc. But putting a UN sticker on the side... is that something I could even legally do? Plus, is it something I want to represent? I don't agree with all the decisions of the UN.

I remember the guys from the Lone Wolf Expedition had trouble with their trailer having a UN sticker on it.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I remember the guys from the Lone Wolf Expedition had trouble with their trailer having a UN sticker on it.

Hey JC! Hope all is well with you, haven't talked with you in a quite some time. Did you ever get another series? Are you still selling parts?

Snagger

Explorer
Having a UN marker on a non-UN vehicle is illegal, and could lead to severe prosecution - think what would happen if some junta was permitted to stick UN markings all over their white Toyota Hiluxs in order to be less of a target to legitimate military, police and peace keeping forces and to cross borders and check points without interference. Anyone falsely displaying such markers should be prosecuted to the maximum extent of the law.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94