Black Series HQ Tips, Tricks, and Learning.....

08pro4x

The Frontier owner is pulling an HQ15 but I agree with you, still a lot of trailer for a small truck. I've been following Matt's off road channel for awhile and have learned much from watching other people get stuck.

I have the HQ15 (picked it up last month from Shane) and use a 2019 Ford Raptor for my tow vehicle. While I was picking my trailer up, another customer was testing his Gladiator pulling an HQ15 and he stated it pulled it with no issues.
I guess it's personal preference but I'd rather have a 1/2 ton truck or larger.

I should also introduce myself to the Black series owners group while I'm here posting! I'm from Las Vegas and have tent camped my entire life, mostly in Southern Utah. Now that my kids are out of the house, my wife and I decided we want to camp more comfortably, enter the HQ15. I waited almost a year for my HQ15 because I wanted a cassette toilet. For me, worth the wait.

I've learned SO much from many on this forum, especially the Black Series owners so I'd like to personally thank all of you for your tips and input. Online forums can be an unforgiving place so I especially appreciate those that are honest and respectful.

Jeff from Vegas
When I first bought my HQ15, I was towing it with an 'otherwise' very capable Nissan Titan Pro4X.
I live in Colorado & travel home to Texas yearly. I soon came to realize the HQ was driving the Titan, and the engine was at it's top end going over mountain passes. After coming terms with this, I inserted an '11 2500HD GMC into the equation, and that problem was solved.

ThomasHawk

I have a new 2021 HQ 15 and it has the wood rack and Jerry can holders!?
We're looking at 2021 HQ15 and the wood rack and holders appear to be steel painted to look like aluminum as we saw rust beginning to appear on them.

Additional Question re roof. 1 piece fiberglass or aluminum composite? Verbal response from a dealer was aluminum composite however the outdated brochures online state 1 piece fiberglass. Thank you.

Last edited:

haqi

Hello Black Series fam,

I am an HQ 17 owner and was recently camping when all of a sudden all the lights went out along with the control panel displays. Little bit later realized that furnace, water heater, fridge weren’t working either but the water pumps (drinking and general) along with the staircase are all working. Assuming it was a dc power issue because all the ac stuff is working fine. I was told by the dealer that it was an inverter/charger issue because it wasn’t converting anymore which I later found wasn’t the case when I replaced the inverter.Only ac was still working none of the lights or dc appliances except the water pumps and staircase. I have been going crazy trying to figure it out and Black Series as well as the dealer hasn’t been very helpful they seem to have no idea how the wiring works. I have tested everything and found just one blown fuse on the back of the stereo which I replaced but that didn’t fix any issue. I am wondering if there are any fuses anywhere else because with all these issues no breaker tripped which I thought should be the case as that’s what they are for.

I would truly appreciate anyone had similar issue or knows about the dc system or wiring. Thank you in advance!

dasadab

I’m far from an expert, but it sounds like some of the DC items are working, and all of the AC stuff is working. My guess is a broken wire or connector somewhere before the inverter. Sometimes wires fail. Sometimes connectors fail.

PSea

all ac is working and your dealer told you it was the inverter?? dealers SUCK!

if the panel is out and all DC, i'd check for a hidden breaker as well as inspecting the battery connectors.

haqi

all ac is working and your dealer told you it was the inverter?? dealers SUCK!

if the panel is out and all DC, i'd check for a hidden breaker as well as inspecting the battery connectors.

Exactly the dealer and the black series US both suck. They are telling me it’s the control panel. It can’t be because all that the control panel has is breakers on it with the shunt. I am trying to find the hidden breaker as you mentioned but so far no luck. Also I disconnected and reconnected the batteries they are all good. Also microwave etc run fine via the inverter off of batteries.

Now I am thinking about connecting the breaker cables on the control panel with the coresponding fuses to test in case a breaker has gone bad. Will update this thread tomorrow.

haqi

I’m far from an expert, but it sounds like some of the DC items are working, and all of the AC stuff is working. My guess is a broken wire or connector somewhere before the inverter. Sometimes wires fail. Sometimes connectors fail.
Yeah that’s possible. I am checking all wiring but it’s so difficult without a wiring diagram. Even BS has no idea how it’s wired. So far I have not found a broken wire or connector.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yeah that’s possible. I am checking all wiring but it’s so difficult without a wiring diagram. Even BS has no idea how it’s wired. So far I have not found a broken wire or connector.
Any chance you have a GFI plug some place? Those can get messed up / broken and cause all sorts of goofy power issues especially in a RV with goofy wiring.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yeah that was the first thing I checked and it is working fine.
You try replacing it? Or just check it? They can be a big pain if they have gone goofy. I also think they are more likely to go bad with RV use getting exposed to questionable shore power etc.

haqi

You try replacing it? Or just check it? They can be a big pain if they have gone goofy. I also think they are more likely to go bad with RV use getting exposed to questionable shore power etc.
I tested it with the generator and I have never used shore power since I got this camper.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I tested it with the generator and I have never used shore power since I got this camper.
Hmm
Built in china, BS doesn’t know how they are getting wired given the factory is likely using whatever they can get for wiring. Anything unseen ie behind panels could literally be anything / you name it. Keep testing wires looking for dead stuff and try to narrow it down.

haqi

Hmm
Built in china, BS doesn’t know how they are getting wired given the factory is likely using whatever they can get for wiring. Anything unseen ie behind panels could literally be anything / you name it. Keep testing wires looking for dead stuff and try to narrow it down.
Exactly what I am thinking. On the bright side once I find it I will have much better knowledge of the wiring.

paulg

Hello Black Series fam,

I am an HQ 17 owner and was recently camping when all of a sudden all the lights went out along with the control panel displays. Little bit later realized that furnace, water heater, fridge weren’t working either but the water pumps (drinking and general) along with the staircase are all working. Assuming it was a dc power issue because all the ac stuff is working fine. I was told by the dealer that it was an inverter/charger issue because it wasn’t converting anymore which I later found wasn’t the case when I replaced the inverter.Only ac was still working none of the lights or dc appliances except the water pumps and staircase. I have been going crazy trying to figure it out and Black Series as well as the dealer hasn’t been very helpful they seem to have no idea how the wiring works. I have tested everything and found just one blown fuse on the back of the stereo which I replaced but that didn’t fix any issue. I am wondering if there are any fuses anywhere else because with all these issues no breaker tripped which I thought should be the case as that’s what they are for.

I would truly appreciate anyone had similar issue or knows about the dc system or wiring. Thank you in advance!

Am not a expert on this, but here's my take:

Re your "staircase" is still working, am I correct in assuming that you mean your steps still extend and retract? If so, the only time they will not work is when you shut off the main 12vdc battery disconnect switch in the battery box (in my experience).

Re both water pumps still work, this tells me that your Control Panel is partially working. To confirm, shut off the Control Panel switch at the entrance, if the pumps no longer work, you've confirmed the Control Panel is at least partially working. Turn the Control Panel switch back on.

Turn off the 12vdc battery disconnect switch in the battery box, verify that your steps will no longer extend or retract. (Note: this is optional but I highly recommend shutting off the battery disconnect, when I recently did the dual relay delete mod in my HQ19, one of the wires that was always hot came out from its crimped terminal (bad crimp) on the relay connector, the result could have been interesting if it had touched a 12v return). Drop your Control Panel. I recommend that you take pictures of all the wiring before doing anything at this point. Look for any loose wires, if you can't find any, turn the battery disconnect back on, and start probing with a multi-meter. There is a 12vdc return bus on the top left corner of the Control Panel (with a bunch of black wires going to it) that you can use for the multi-meter 12vdc return.

If I remember correctly, the top right circuit breaker on the panel is the "main" breaker, measure both sides of it to make sure they're both hot, I suspect that they will be, but am not sure. There are also two boxes behind the Control Panel, one with black wires going to/from it, the other with red. Mine had clear plastic covers on on them. I suspect that you may have a issue with a loose wire or a bad connection with the "red" wired box. Am unsure as I didn't trace/mess in this particular area.

Good luck.

haqi

Am not a expert on this, but here's my take:

Re your "staircase" is still working, am I correct in assuming that you mean your steps still extend and retract? If so, the only time they will not work is when you shut off the main 12vdc battery disconnect switch in the battery box (in my experience).

Re both water pumps still work, this tells me that your Control Panel is partially working. To confirm, shut off the Control Panel switch at the entrance, if the pumps no longer work, you've confirmed the Control Panel is at least partially working. Turn the Control Panel switch back on.

Turn off the 12vdc battery disconnect switch in the battery box, verify that your steps will no longer extend or retract. (Note: this is optional but I highly recommend shutting off the battery disconnect, when I recently did the dual relay delete mod in my HQ19, one of the wires that was always hot came out from its crimped terminal (bad crimp) on the relay connector, the result could have been interesting if it had touched a 12v return). Drop your Control Panel. I recommend that you take pictures of all the wiring before doing anything at this point. Look for any loose wires, if you can't find any, turn the battery disconnect back on, and start probing with a multi-meter. There is a 12vdc return bus on the top left corner of the Control Panel (with a bunch of black wires going to it) that you can use for the multi-meter 12vdc return.

If I remember correctly, the top right circuit breaker on the panel is the "main" breaker, measure both sides of it to make sure they're both hot, I suspect that they will be, but am not sure. There are also two boxes behind the Control Panel, one with black wires going to/from it, the other with red. Mine had clear plastic covers on on them. I suspect that you may have a issue with a loose wire or a bad connection with the "red" wired box. Am unsure as I didn't trace/mess in this particular area.

Good luck.
Thank you so much. I will do this today. It may be that the relay itself is not working so I will check the resistance on them as well. Thanks for the tips regarding where to put the multimeter. I have turned off the battery and the stair doesn’t work work so that’s confirmed. When I do turn off the main switch the pumps still work which is very weird if I am correct they shouldn’t?

I will check each wire today. I was wondering if there are any fuses elsewhere. I can’t find any.
Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles