Black Series HQ - Any Reviews?

I currently own an XVENTURE XV-2 (would be glad to answer any questions in another thread or PM me) but the wife and I are seriously looking at the HQ-19. We flew down to Mesa, AZ and toured through some of the models at Tom's Camperland (super nice folks!). I get that they are expensive, compared to similar sized trailers, but I asked our dealer if there is anything else on the market I should look at that is comparable, and he said there's nothing close, if you want to take it farther than just a gravel road. I have no plans of going seriously off road, but just want to get into the fire roads and camping spots that are normally out of bounds for most RV's. I currently own a 2011 Land Rover LR4, but have an order in for the 2020 Defender 110X. While I don't currently own a Black Series, I can echo other's sentiments after having seen one in person that the build quality seems solid, so I don't get the "cheap Chinesse junk" comment that I hear from others. There's plenty of "junk" (think Jayco) RV's being made in America.

PSea

I currently own an XVENTURE XV-2 (would be glad to answer any questions in another thread or PM me) but the wife and I are seriously looking at the HQ-19. We flew down to Mesa, AZ and toured through some of the models at Tom's Camperland (super nice folks!). I get that they are expensive, compared to similar sized trailers, but I asked our dealer if there is anything else on the market I should look at that is comparable, and he said there's nothing close, if you want to take it farther than just a gravel road. I have no plans of going seriously off road, but just want to get into the fire roads and camping spots that are normally out of bounds for most RV's. I currently own a 2011 Land Rover LR4, but have an order in for the 2020 Defender 110X. While I don't currently own a Black Series, I can echo other's sentiments after having seen one in person that the build quality seems solid, so I don't get the "cheap Chinesse junk" comment that I hear from others. There's plenty of "junk" (think Jayco) RV's being made in America.
i don't follow the caravans but i do follow the hard shell campers and own a dominator. the "cheap chinese junk" is not unfounded. just check out the dominator/patron facebook page. a lot of stuff to switch out, fake bearings, bad shocks, lousy chargers, questionable wiring/practices. Look, as long as you go into with your eyes open, you'll be fine. My main complaint is with the way the company addresses problems: pretend they don't exist and treat your customer like complete **************** for raising the questions and then refuse to answer them. ;-)

dreadlocks

for that level of money, you can get plenty of US made options that are not Junk.. I paid $22k for my 20ft intech, full aluminum frame, tandem dexter torsion axles and I can drag it anywhere a HQ-19 can get.. for $30k less money and the build quality is top notch..

Yeah there are tons of Junk American Trailers out there.. but they are not asking $50k for em, I coulda got a Kimberly Camper with that kinda budget and nobody has ever accused them of being junk.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I'm looking at a HQ15 and will probably get it in January. My wife likes it more than the HQ12. More storage places. The outdoor kitchen will keep me outside and the indoor kitchen for bad weather.
After almost 50 years of ground camping, then RTT camping, time for a change and get something for the both of us. Just got married so I want to do all this traveling with my wife.

We want to go back to Alaska and visit what we missed last year. You can read about our trip in a three part series in TCT magazine .

Arctic Adventures in a Vintage Land Cruiser Parts 1,2,3

Yes it is expensive but it is the only trailer that has the off road capacity I want. We are planning to return to Deadhorse and Tuk.

I'm not crazy about the A/C only fridge that is a power hog.

I think as with all other trailers, one is going to find detractors best to do research.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Wanted to add one more comment here on RVs of America. Really sucks your experience was bad, but our buying experience was awesome. I had them do several mods for me (add a receiver hitch for bike rack, add high lift jack, tires, winter package, remove microwave, upgrade solar controller and add a solar panel, few other things) on my HQ15 and they went over and beyond to make sure that all got done, and at quality. They communicated regularly, sent me pictures of progress, answered all my questions, and generally were just very patient (I am picky) with me. Michael did most of this work himself, and he did a great job at it. I can tell when someone does quality work, as I do enough of it myself. When we picked up the camper they had found an awesome camping spot for us, parked the HQ15 there, and we stayed there our first night. The next day (Sunday) we went back to their shop to have a few minor things adjusted. It was great they were willing to do that on a Sunday for us, as we live a six hour drive away. So I really can't be happier with RVs of America. What I also like about those guys that they actually take out their trailers camping, and to spots these campers are made for. Some really rugged terrain. Just check out their crazy youtube videos of their trip to Canyonlands in Utah. So they definitely will get to know the good and bad about those trailers.
We will check out RVs of America on our drive up to SLC for Xmas. We are definitely in the market for a HQ15.
Could you post up some pictures of the receiver hitch,high lift mount. What tires did you change to?
What are you towing it with ? What generator are you using? Thanks

for that level of money, you can get plenty of US made options that are not Junk.. I paid $22k for my 20ft intech, full aluminum frame, tandem dexter torsion axles and I can drag it anywhere a HQ-19 can get.. for $30k less money and the build quality is top notch..

Yeah there are tons of Junk American Trailers out there.. but they are not asking $50k for em, I coulda got a Kimberly Camper with that kinda budget and nobody has ever accused them of being junk.

I looked at one of the Sol InTech trailers at Tom's Camperland. It's a cute trailer, but sorry, not even a close contender to the Black Series. Like comparing a Subaru Outback to a Land Rover Defender - true, they are both off-road capable vehicles. Even the wife said "it's a hard no" when she looked at the Sol; she is sold on the Black Series. To each their own. If you're happy with your InTech, that's great.

HQ15fan

We will check out RVs of America on our drive up to SLC for Xmas. We are definitely in the market for a HQ15.
Could you post up some pictures of the receiver hitch,high lift mount. What tires did you change to?
What are you towing it with ? What generator are you using? Thanks

Hi! Here's the video of the hi-lift mode that Michael at RVsofA put on for us

Here's the video of the receiver hitch mod.

Tires, I upgraded to BF Goodrich KO2s,

I tow it with a Toyota Tundra. I did add airbags to the Tundra, to keep the ride level. Don't have a generator.

Hope that helps!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Hi! Here's the video of the hi-lift mode that Michael at RVsofA put on for us

Here's the video of the receiver hitch mod.

Tires, I upgraded to BF Goodrich KO2s,

I tow it with a Toyota Tundra. I did add airbags to the Tundra, to keep the ride level. Don't have a generator.

Hope that helps!

Thanks How well does the the High Lift do lifting the trailer? What do you use for jacking points?

HQ15fan

Thanks How well does the the High Lift do lifting the trailer? What do you use for jacking points?

There's a frame member right next to the wheel well. See picture where we had to change the a tire "in the field" offroading near Moab. That spot worked OK.

20191125_124542.jpg

HQ15fan

I'm looking at a HQ15 and will probably get it in January. My wife likes it more than the HQ12. More storage places. The outdoor kitchen will keep me outside and the indoor kitchen for bad weather.

I'm not crazy about the A/C only fridge that is a power hog.

There is a lot more storage, and more space overall in the HQ15. It is also way warmer than the HQ12, when you pop open the roof on the HQ12. The good thing about that pop up roof is if you're taller than 6'1". You'll be able to stand in it. As for the fridge, it draws peak 4.5 amps, so 60Watts. But it is well insulated, so not a huge battery drainer I've found so far.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
There is a lot more storage, and more space overall in the HQ15. It is also way warmer than the HQ12, when you pop open the roof on the HQ12. The good thing about that pop up roof is if you're taller than 6'1". You'll be able to stand in it. As for the fridge, it draws peak 4.5 amps, so 60Watts. But it is well insulated, so not a huge battery drainer I've found so far.

Thanks again for the info. Good to know about the fridge.

I figured the trailer fridge is so small as most people in Australia have a big fridge in the car. I have a 50 qt ARB in the back of my Land Cruiser .

BuckinghamBuilt

There's a frame member right next to the wheel well. See picture where we had to change the a tire "in the field" offroading near Moab. That spot worked OK.

View attachment 553718

Noticed that you're pulling that with a Jeep Gladiator which is what I'm looking to purchase in the next six months. Curious what type of gas milage you're getting with pulling the HQ12 and what trim Gladiator you have? I asked RVs of America what type of mileage that were getting in their Black Series videos on Youtube and they did not know.

HQ15fan

Noticed that you're pulling that with a Jeep Gladiator which is what I'm looking to purchase in the next six months. Curious what type of gas milage you're getting with pulling the HQ12 and what trim Gladiator you have? I asked RVs of America what type of mileage that were getting in their Black Series videos on Youtube and they did not know.

Hi, sorry, that Jeep Gladiator wasn't mine. It was Shane's from RVsofA. I have no idea what gas mileage he got.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I hate to sound like a broken record but check out OutdoorsRV Mountain Series. Limited dealership no dealers east of the Mississippi. More rugged construction than sticks and tin. 70-80 gallon fresh water. Half the price of Black Series.
My issue with them. All too damn big, might as well just buy a used Winni Mini for 1/5th the price because your not dragging a 25+ft RV into the places you can take a 18ft whatever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles