Black Series HQ - Any Reviews?

PSea

Yup, RVs of America. Those guys (Shane and Michael) are great! Definitely talk to them.
That's where we'll have to agree to disagree. My experience w/ Shane was awful. Rarely provided specifics and instead just kept selling and puffing. Couldn't answer w/ any specifics about the batteries, charger, inverter and on and on.

HQ15fan

That's where we'll have to agree to disagree. My experience w/ Shane was awful. Rarely provided specifics and instead just kept selling and puffing. Couldn't answer w/ any specifics about the batteries, charger, inverter and on and on.

Bummer! Sorry to hear that. Michael is the more technical guy there, but anyways I get it if you call up someone you expect good answers.

HQ15fan

Wanted to add one more comment here on RVs of America. Really sucks your experience was bad, but our buying experience was awesome. I had them do several mods for me (add a receiver hitch for bike rack, add high lift jack, tires, winter package, remove microwave, upgrade solar controller and add a solar panel, few other things) on my HQ15 and they went over and beyond to make sure that all got done, and at quality. They communicated regularly, sent me pictures of progress, answered all my questions, and generally were just very patient (I am picky) with me. Michael did most of this work himself, and he did a great job at it. I can tell when someone does quality work, as I do enough of it myself. When we picked up the camper they had found an awesome camping spot for us, parked the HQ15 there, and we stayed there our first night. The next day (Sunday) we went back to their shop to have a few minor things adjusted. It was great they were willing to do that on a Sunday for us, as we live a six hour drive away. So I really can't be happier with RVs of America. What I also like about those guys that they actually take out their trailers camping, and to spots these campers are made for. Some really rugged terrain. Just check out their crazy youtube videos of their trip to Canyonlands in Utah. So they definitely will get to know the good and bad about those trailers.

PSea

HQ15fan, sounds like you had an excellent experience. Mine was very different. Perhaps dealing with them in person makes a difference. The gist of the responses I received from them was "hey, this thing could sell for $40,000 (Dominator popup) so who cares about details."

PSea

UPDATE. I finally found the right situation for me! Given Black Series' childish behavior and their unwillingness to provide some details/support, I decided to purchase from a private party, and I'll make the same upgrades I intended anyway. I guess Black Series USA doesn't read the Dominator/Patron Facebook Group. It's full of great info as well as problem areas so you can prepare yourself for what you'll likley be modifying. That's where I started noting issues which prompted me to attempt contact. I think those bozo's thought I was creating issues where they felt there weren't any. (psssst BS...read the posts from long time BS users).

Ironically, the previous owner noticed poor wiring connections and redid all of them already. Mine's a 2018 Anniversary Addition. Used only a few times. It's as close to new as I could ask of a used trailer. None of the accessories, annex, vestibule have ever been used. SMOKING DEAL $12,000 delivered to my front door or $11,000 if I was willing to pick it up. Doesn't have the roof rack or a charger. Would prefer to keep the weight down, so fine w/o the rack. Had 265/75R16 BFG KO2's on it too. Same as my truck. Will allow me to remove one spare tire. Who needs 3 spare tires between my truck and the trailer? (well, let's hope not me. ha) The stove top is only a two burner as opposed to the 3 burner. Happy about this. See a few comments that they're harder to clean w/ more burners. Plus, heck, I don't think I've ever used 3 burners in my house. Great guy who I bought it from, too.

I honestly think this is the way to go. I would have been at close to $20,000 (and it looks like dealers are raising prices a bit) by the time I left the dealer (tax, prep, etc). Then I would have begun all the mod's I plan to do at some point. BTW, if you do decide to buy new (understandable plus you get a warranty), I had a solid experience with Tom's Camperland (Mike in the Mesa, AZ location). Friendly and easy to talk with. They weren't exactly elated that I cancelled (having some truck issues hopefully resolved soon), but it really wasn't a reflection on them. Maybe BS will grow up and reach out to me.

I already know what will be the first few mod's.

1. The jockey wheel is barely usable on anything but concrete/asphalt. It seems to easily torque side to side out of perfect vertical alignement. Aussie's talk a lot about replacing the stock wheel with an ARB 750.

2. Connected the solar panel. The cable is a little less than 14' long. Want 50' so I can put it in shade and still place the panel where it can get sunlight.

...and so the journey begins. Started rough. But things are getting better....quickly.

Last edited:

PSea

Thanks! Super excited. Tons of questions and mod's on the way. Been listing them over at the forum I started for BS.

When you guys return from a trip, I'm assuming you empty your water tanks. Do you leave the plug/bolt out to let it dry or once drained do you put the plug/bolt back in?

HQ15fan

Thanks! Super excited. Tons of questions and mod's on the way. Been listing them over at the forum I started for BS.

When you guys return from a trip, I'm assuming you empty your water tanks. Do you leave the plug/bolt out to let it dry or once drained do you put the plug/bolt back in?

Great question :) I've had campers for ~20 years, and what I do is yes I drain the water and I typically leave the plug open. I also try to park the trailer so that it leans a bit towards the drain point. Then when I take it out again, I flush a few gallons of water through first (leave the drain open) before filling it up. Never had a problem doing that here in Colorado. BTW On one of my previous campers, I extended the drain a bit with a hose, added a ball valve at the end of that hose, so it was easier to reach.

PSea

D
Great question :) I've had campers for ~20 years, and what I do is yes I drain the water and I typically leave the plug open. I also try to park the trailer so that it leans a bit towards the drain point. Then when I take it out again, I flush a few gallons of water through first (leave the drain open) before filling it up. Never had a problem doing that here in Colorado. BTW On one of my previous campers, I extended the drain a bit with a hose, added a ball valve at the end of that hose, so it was easier to reach.
Do you blow out the lines with a compressor?

dreadlocks

here in colorado anything that has any airflow at all dries out completely all on its own... normally I'd agree you want to leave your taps open when tank is not in use, however dont let wasps build a nest in your tank or anything so if your vents are not filtered somehow I'd suggest it.. even a lil sponge and rubberband should do the trick.. also open your faucets too.

for cleaning it, you can go to garden center and buy industrial grade hydrogen peroxide (~30% not 5% like most).. H2O2, just has an extra oxygen molecule and is volatile so it easially breaks down into pure water pretty quickly but does a great job of sterilizing everything.. within a few days any residual hydrogen peroxide left will just be inert water..

usually there is a drain tube after the pump too and if not you need one because the pumps have a check valve and wont back flow into the tank..

theluckyone

I don't own a black series but have been considering an HQ17 so thought I'd post my thoughts for those going through the research process too. I've made a few trips to the dealer to look at the HQ17 and the overall quality seems great inside and out. What stands out is the wiring and plumbing and how it all is laid out very clean and neat with purpose. The cabinets inside seem to be extremely solid! Love the EuroVision windows and the door and screen are incredibly tough. Bunks were huge and zero flex and the personal fans in each bunk were cool but over the top. Bathroom was fine for what it was and bathroom door was super solid. The dining table was extremely heavy duty but the extra "lift up" foot rests were flimsy and pointless. The two "closets" on each side of the bed are completely pointless! The body, frame, and exterior seemed super solid except for the rock sliders which seemed like they were an afterthought when they put those on even though they look good. The external hatches were kind of flimsy too but worked well. Really like the slide out external kitchen and there is more water on board then I'd ever need but nice to have the option. I wish the model was offered without the AC, microwave and tv's as we don't need that. Also wish you could just have a cassette toilet but I get the appeal of the full bath and black tank for the masses.

The one question I have is how sealed up the camper is to dust when traveling offroad? I've been traveling with a small trailer lately and the inside gets blasted with dust on every dirt road.

Last edited:

HQ15fan

I don't own a black series but have been considering an HQ17 so thought I'd post my thoughts for those going through the research process too. I've made a few trips to the dealer to look at the HQ17 and the overall quality seems great inside and out. What stands out is the wiring and plumbing and how it all is laid out very clean and neat with purpose. The cabinets inside seem to be extremely solid! Love the EuroVision windows and the door and screen are incredibly tough. Bunks were huge and zero flex and the personal fans in each bunk were cool but over the top. Bathroom was fine for what it was and bathroom door was super solid. The dining table was extremely heavy duty but the extra "lift up" foot rests were flimsy and pointless. The two "closets" on each side of the bed are completely pointless! The body, frame, and exterior seemed super solid except for the rock sliders which seemed like they were an afterthought when they put those on even though they look good. The external hatches were kind of flimsy too but worked well. Really like the slide out external kitchen and there is more water on board then I'd ever need but nice to have the option. I wish the model was offered without the AC, microwave and tv's as we don't need that. Also wish you could just have a cassette toilet but I get the appeal of the full bath and black tank for the masses.

The one question I have is how sealed up the camper is to dust when traveling offroad? I've been traveling with a small trailer lately and the inside gets blasted with dust on every dirt road.

Hi there, welcome!

To answer in reverse. I get zero dust inside our HQ15, as long as you close the windows when driving off road. Definitely would not want to sleep with sand in my bed :) As for the cassette toilet option, I saw a HQ15 that had that. Worth asking your dealer if one can be ordered like that. I had our dealer remove the TV and microwave. They are easy to take out, except where the microwave was will now be a raw hole. We had a cabinet maker turn that into something more nice looking. As for the AC, I wish it didn't come with one either. We'll never use that. The two things we didn't like about the HQ17 is the height of the outside kitchen. It is even higher than the HQ12/15, and my wife is 5"0 so it was too high for her. Also, the inside kitchen is tiny, pretty much no space to cut or prepare food. Which is fine if you mostly use the outside kitchen of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles