Birth of My Kimberley Karavan

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info Brad! I hope you don't mind me talking about a possible purchase in your thread.

Anyone got any recommendations on a rig to pull a T3 with? I would like a diesel, but it appears there are no new vehicles in the US that have a low range transfer case and both front and rear differential locks.

A Wrangler is out as it's towing capability is quite small. That only leave the RAM 2500 Power Wagon with the 6.4L Hemi. An awesome truck, but that gas mileage is going to hurt!

Send a msg to "Redline" here on EXPO. He has a ton of knowledge and experience with diesel truck options. He currently has Dodge 3500 that is locked and lifted with a Hallmark Camper on it. An awesome rig. :)

Zybane

I'm sure that stuff is awesome, but once you are talking custom front axles and all that jaaz the price shoots up quick! I like having factory warranty hah!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Send a msg to "Redline" here on EXPO. He has a ton of knowledge and experience with diesel truck options. He currently has Dodge 3500 that is locked and lifted with a Hallmark Camper on it. An awesome rig. :)

Many people on ExPo (and other places) have good knowledge and experience... I've towed plenty of trailers, including larger and heavier travel trailers, off-highway trailers, etc. So have others.

Some corrections...

My current project is a '14 Dodge/Ram Cummins 2500. It is not currently lifted nor locked, just the factory gear-type limited-slip and bigger tires, with bumpers, sliders, and a Hallmark Milner camper.

Thanks for the info Brad! I hope you don't mind me talking about a possible purchase in your thread.

Anyone got any recommendations on a rig to pull a T3 with? I would like a diesel, but it appears there are no new vehicles in the US that have a low range transfer case and both front and rear differential locks.

A Wrangler is out as it's towing capability is quite small. That only leave the RAM 2500 Power Wagon with the 6.4L Hemi. An awesome truck, but that gas mileage is going to hurt!

The pros and cons of a diesel pickup vs. petrol are all over the web, mostly accurately stated/understood, sometimes not. Torque and fuel-economy (range) are a couple primary advantages for most, which comes with some cold sensitivity and up-front $$ cost.

The Power Wagon is a cool outfit, and I’ve both had and still do have rigs with lockers. Though one could argue against the 'need' for a fully locked rig as a tow-vehicle for a travel trailer, even a Kimberley Kruiser. One locker or a good limited-slip, a winch, etc., might be enough/plenty...but far be it from me to talk a guy out of playing with trucks. ;) Maybe you intend to park the trailer and then go wheelin’/exploring, for which you want a more setup rig.

You may want new, but if not I have a fantastic, very lightly used (32,000 mi.) 2011 Tundra with lockers, gears, moderate tires, full armor, 46 gallon fuel tank, front-and-rear winches, etc., that I want to sell eventually. I have too many trucks at the moment, and just haven't got around to advertising it for sale.

Another Kimberley Kruiser in the USA is cool! Good luck with your truck shopping :)

James

Zybane

James. Good thoughts. You are correct, I am looking for an-off road capable truck that can tow a T3 and disconnect from the T3 to go into the rough stuff. Also carry my ATV on a Diamondback ATV cover so I can get to the real small/remote places. So far, the Power Wagon is the only vehicle on sale in the US that I find can fir the bill.

I understand Dodge engineers have said putting the diesel in the Power Wagon wouldn't be that good. A heavy engine over the front axle is not good for off-roading. I am used to off-roading with my modified Wrangler Rubicon, front and rear lockers are worth their weight in gold.

Romer

Adventurer
The people in Boulder are towing an S3 with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I would expect a 200 series Land Cruiser would also work fine

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
James. Good thoughts. You are correct, I am looking for an-off road capable truck that can tow a T3 and disconnect from the T3 to go into the rough stuff. Also carry my ATV on a Diamondback ATV cover so I can get to the real small/remote places. So far, the Power Wagon is the only vehicle on sale in the US that I find can fir the bill.

I understand Dodge engineers have said putting the diesel in the Power Wagon wouldn't be that good. A heavy engine over the front axle is not good for off-roading. I am used to off-roading with my modified Wrangler Rubicon, front and rear lockers are worth their weight in gold.

That may be what they say, though the hearsay I've heard attributed to the engineers has been concerns about the diesel torque and the lockers. Both may/can be valid. My experience using diesel pickups for various duties over the past two decades is that while they surely can sink easily when it's wet/sloppy, they can be fantastic/better when the ground will support them. The contact pressure on the front tires is excellent and a properly geared and driven diesel can climb extremely well where a lighter nosed [and maybe open diff] rig may skip and bounce.

Yep, lockers are great, I like them too...but for now I'm avoiding putting them in my new Ram [I'm hoping for continued strength ;)]

The people in Boulder are towing an S3 with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I would expect a 200 series Land Cruiser would also work fine

Surely a 200 LC would be a nice choice, as would a similarly stout car/wagon with a V8. My built 4Runner is an amazingly capable and versatile rig, and I've towed bigger/heavier travel trailers with it [wouldn't let anyone else]. Though one of the negatives is the narrower body that doesn't see around the trailer perfectly, even with mirror extensions. For bigger, heavier towing I much prefer a full-size truck. Maybe a 200 is side enough?

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Hijack

Sorry for the thread hijack Brad...

And now, back to our regularly scheduled KK programming ;)

Tazman

Adventurer
I have a S3 on order for delivery in April. I will be towing it with my GMC 2008 Sierra 1500 4x4. I really like my truck and it has very low mileage. I considered the T3 but felt it was a bit heavy especially with all the stuff I tend to take. When I added the cost of a 3/4 ton truck and trailer together, it made the numbers ugly. Rumor has it that Bruce may be coming to the Expo in Flagstaff. We will have the trailer there if there is any interest in seeing it.

Zybane

Ya I've looked at the S3 too. Great rig, I am wondering if it would be too small though for the extended living/camping we like to do. Always a compromise between weight and off-road capability and living space.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
The people in Boulder are towing an S3 with a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Can you point me to any more information about this?

Are they on ExPo?

The S3 / JGC Overland diesel is the combination we are considering and I would be interested in their experiences.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Very nice!

Ran into you at MonumentValley and must say very impressed with the KK and 4Runner. Hope to see more!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 63

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Cool.

Conditions were not optimal there so we only stayed one night. Spent the next two weeks in Valley of the Gods and then up in the La Sal mountains. A fun trip. Just got back home yesterday. It was a good test on how long I can stretch the water and black water capacity.
Made 13 days with no problem on water usage, even filling up another camper's 5 gallon water jug on my last morning before heading home. The 5 gallon black water tank was close to full but never needed to be dumped on the trip. Perfect.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Wow

That is really incredible. I had never looked at Kimberley until I saw your unit and must say I was very impressed. Please post more pics of your venture. I will continue going through your thread but I wanted to ask; the forward mounted jerry cans you have, did you create a mount for those or did Kimberley provide mounts? I like that idea; any issues with it, etc? Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior