Bigger tires...go faster?

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
I think on a mog, the best place might be between the clutch and transmission. It might fit and the torque would be the lowest. It would be neat to get a three speed with crawling, 1:1, and overdrive. I'd pay a good bit for something like that if it was reliable and easy-ish to put in.

Michael

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
I wouldn't overlook the benefit of having really low gears just for low speed manoeuvring. Maybe what you have now is low enough, but on a few washed out gullies we had to straddle in the past on quiet back roads the working gears on our old Mog plus exhaust brake kept the vehicle and my heart rate nice and slow :)

Neil

Observer
I am pretty sure that this device is in essence an overdrive unit and would only be engaged in maybe the last two top gears to give extra speed and economy at low torque. In the lower gears it might be too torquey . Its spec needs checking.

If it is the case then applying to the rear wheels only for 2 wheel drive in my opinion is the right place. As it would be unlikely to be in 4wd at 100kmph.

Interesting device

Neil

Neil

Observer
It would appear that these have been around for decades. Why are we only hearing about them now. surely if they were the solution we would all be aware of them ?

I have known about Brownies for decades and have had a 5831 in my garage for about 25 years. They are very hard to install in 4wds due to the fact that they are designed to go into the middle of the (rear) driveshaft and therefore the underdrive is useless. They are designed and intended for 2wd vehicles.
It just occurred to me this week that it might be perfect for a Unimog. They have a driveshaft running from the clutch housing to the integral transmission/transfer case. Even with a powerful 7-800 ft-lb engine the torque won’t be multiplied by the transmission. Additionally my low ratios are 5.76/55.7. A mere 2:1 might be very useful (sand). An overdrive also.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
I was wondering if there would actually be room on a Mog behind the engine if it was connected with a tiny driveshaft each side, so four shaft joints to allow for flexing? Have you had a measure up to know if there might be room at least?

Neil

Observer
Just had a thought. If you pur this in the rear propshaft for two wheel drive only you must have some sort of fail safe system in place to stop you accidently engaging 4 wheel drive whilst it is in a higher or lower ratio. I think an accident like this would tear the transfer box in half in a fraction of a second

Neil

Sitec

Adventurer
I was wondering if there would actually be room on a Mog behind the engine if it was connected with a tiny driveshaft each side, so four shaft joints to allow for flexing? Have you had a measure up to know if there might be room at least?

The box I have access too measures 500mm from front to back. It it was placed between the engine and gearbox, it would only ever have to contend with the torque of the engine.... but you are then asking the gearbox to cope with multiplied torque if the Joey is used in the low range. Perhaps in this application you'd only use it for it's for it's 'overdrive' benefits.

Jostt

Adventurer
It is not a easy solution , by my point of view, we were looking before we bought the overdrive for a diferent solution to fit on the unimog , I found many aftermarket gear boxes , to use underdrive and overdrive but....the engine and the gear box are not alined, so as much you reduce the distance whit a intermediate gearbox you increase the angle betwen them, and this is not nice, thats why the claas over is maybe one of the BEST solution, It is on the limit about size to be not a vibration problem....for another Mercedes truck would be more easy, because there is more room to locate the overdrive, but not on the unimog, the BEST way for me is to fit the working group gear and the over...but It is f ...expensive...finally I use more the over than the underdrive....so claas overdrve was the way.
Werner also build one dedicated overdrive for the old mogs, but It is no way to find one used

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles