better fabric-design for flippac????

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm sorry but that is just not the case. Building a tent out of a heavier weight material is a skill that is almost lost in North America. There are a few people who can still do it but not many.

Real shame, you would think with the millions of people here.

What about denim manufactures...or people in the movie or stage costume industry?

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
It is a real shame because I think a STOUT Flippac would probably be the ultimate setup for anyone wanting a popup style camper. I love how much room is created and really everything about one...although I've never personally been in one lol

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I'm still working on this. Tent design and sewing is a very complex process. We worked with Nemo Equipment to make the tents for our Habitats. It took me 18 months to find the right material, and Nemo would only work with one manufacturer in the USA. Shows you how many US based companies have the expertize.

Five or so years ago we designed our own roof top tent and worked with a US tent manufacture to sew the tents. After failing with the first two prototypes we cancelled the project.

Those of you who have talked to me about tents and fabrics know I'm a geek about all of this stuff, see my article here

If you want to talk about the diameter of a sewing needle in comparison to the size of the thread, or how thread coated in beeswax works when sewing a tent I'm your man. I'm also the man who will wait to make the perfect tent.

Clutch

<---Pass
If you want to talk about the diameter of a sewing needle in comparison to the size of the thread, or how thread coated in beeswax works when sewing a tent I'm your man. I'm also the man who will wait to make the perfect tent.

My girlfriend would geek out over stuff like that...she dabbles in costume design, makes her own patterns sort a thing... and is super OCD. She also hand stitches book bindings, the caterpillar binding for an example, is easy for her.

Has quite the beeswax coated thread collection.

I could probably talk her into doing a mockup, and see if it is up to your standards. She doesn't have a heavy enough sewing machine right now though...would need to rent or borrow one.

Or give Dan at Dirt Bike Gear a call, perhaps it is something he would tackle. Have some buds using his bags for years...they are bomber.

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
thats what i'm talking about, modify the size of the nemo to fit flippac,, this seems so obvious i must be missing something.

It's about cost and availability.

The Habitat is a premium product that sells for over $9000.00 The tent fabric is the best in the market place as is the designer and manufacture.

The Flippac sell for around $5000.00 with much of the market in the used sector. It's unknown at this point how big the market will be for replacement tents for the Flippac.

The Flippac tent ideally would sell around $1500-$2000.00 and be ordered from the producer in small batches. The Nemo tents are supplied once a year as a single batch so the cash lay out is huge for us, we don't wish to repeat this with the Flippac.

Clutch

<---Pass
Would probably have to do the FP tents on a made to order basis...all of the people that say they want one, most likely won't buy one.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
gotcha martyn, i knew there was indide info that came into play,,,, thanks for that.

on to a tent,,, i'd be in for one at $1500 but dont think i'd swing much more.

Roktoys84

Adventurer
Thanks Dave, but I'll have to pass on this re-tenting project, more fun to design a new truck camper shell to fit the tent and torsion bar system from the JK...:coffee:

Any chance you're working on a truck shell? I'm looking at buying a Softopper to tide me over for now but I still want a pop-up shell. I just can't get into the Flippac tent design.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
It's about cost and availability.

The Habitat is a premium product that sells for over $9000.00 The tent fabric is the best in the market place as is the designer and manufacture.

The Flippac sell for around $5000.00 with much of the market in the used sector. It's unknown at this point how big the market will be for replacement tents for the Flippac.

The Flippac tent ideally would sell around $1500-$2000.00 and be ordered from the producer in small batches. The Nemo tents are supplied once a year as a single batch so the cash lay out is huge for us, we don't wish to repeat this with the Flippac.

$1500-$2,000 for a NEMO style replacement tent for the FlipPac? Money well spent, sign me up.

burquedoka

Adventurer
Martyn, thanks for taking this on! Please please please don't loose this on on the back burner. You are the only glimmer of light on the horizon to keeping our aging FP's from becoming old tired news!

A few things I would love to see.....
Bug screens that zip open
Roof top tent style rain sheet
Roof top tent style window eves held out with spring bars, especially the ones w/I the living area of the tent.
And of corse a lower section of the tent that channels water OUT AND OVER rim of the shell, not INTO IT! (Who's dumb idea was it to not shed the water away on the original design?)

nmhunter

Anyone have an update to a new fabric design for the Flip-pac? Mine is in good shape, but I would like an upgrade to waterproof without the rain fly and I would be willing to spend a couple of grand to get it done. I love the Flip-pac design and it is great for 3 seasons.

nmhunter

I just spoke to Flip-pac and they said they have a new fabric design that is stronger. Does anyone have any experience with their new fabric?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94