Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

Bobzdar

Observer
I was asked about airflow of my grille - the person was wondering how the slot area compared to the stock JK grille slot area and how it compared to the JL and Gladiator slot area.

The factory JK grille has about 165 square inches of slot area. My grille has about 205 square inches of slot area, which is roughly a 25% increase in slot area over the factory JK grille.

I measured the slot size of the JL and Gladiator. The slots in my grille are the same size as the slots in the JL grille.

There are two versions of the Gladiator grille each having a different slot size. The slots in the version with trim inserts are about 2.5" wide; the slots in the version without the trim are 3" wide. The height of the slots in both is only slightly more than the slots in the JL grille. The biggest difference between the JL slots and the JT slots is the mesh - the JT mesh has much larger holes than the JL mesh.

Comparison photos of the JL and JT grille slots:

JLJTCompare2_zps1j1xkgw0.jpg

Both JL slots and the JT slots with trim are roughly the same size, the JT slots are about 1/4" taller than the JL slots although you can't tell that from this photo. The JL no trim slots are about 1/4" taller than the JL trim slots and about 1/2" wider. All of these measurements are approximate.

Since the JT's towing capacity doesn't depend on which version of the grille is installed, and since the slot sizes of both JL styles and the JT trimmed slot style are approximately the same, the main improvement in the JT's coiling capacity through the grille apparently is the much larger mesh.

The JT trim appears to be thinner than the JL trim as well.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few months ago I made a changing room for my RTT using canopy wall set I found at Walmart.com (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Impact-C...d-1-Middle-Zipper-Sidewall-Only-Red/350380467):

ChangingRoomDone_zpspiskdyv9.jpg

The other day I Was in Walmart and spotted this product (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tr...r-10-ft-x-10-ft-Straight-Leg-Canopy/495552727):

OzarkShadeWall_zpshppfjqt3.jpg

The pockets in that wall would be useful for a changing room. The wall is 10' wide x 72" tall, so two of them would be plenty to make all 4 walls of a changing room, but at only 72" tall, depending on the height of the bottom or your RTT on top of your Jeep, the walls may not be tall enough. The set I used is 86" tall.

Posting this FYI in case anyone else is thinking about doing a DIY changing room.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm always experimenting with different things to see what works best... a few weeks ago I posted a photo of a motorcycle handlebar bag that I attached a zipper to so it could hang on the seat back (https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...factory-hardtops.127687/page-283#post-2722472). The closure for the bag was straps with buckles. Undoing the buckles every time I wanted to get into the bag was too much trouble, so I removed the straps and install magnetic catches. Now it's much easier to use:

BikerBag1_zpsmqnafcs0.jpg

BikerBag2_zpsm56g503s.jpg

I also decided to try it on the passenger grab bar, so I made a zipper that attaches to the grab bar with velcro. Also in this photo is a rare thing for my Jeep - an aftermarket accessory. I wanted to turn the space behind the grab bar into a storage pocket but before I went to the effort to design and make something I checked online and found this plastic tray for about $10. Fits great and my significant other uses it to hold her phone. The bag holds her sunglasses and a few other things she wants handy on a trip.

BikerBag3_zpsvofxvuo8.jpg

I think she likes the styling of the Duluth bag below better than the leather biker bag, so that the leather bag might not be used on the grab bar as often as the Duluth bag.

DuluthToiletriesBag2_zpsilm9htg4.jpg

Also did a zip-on trash bag. Found the bag at Walmart for about 5 bucks (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Drive-Car-Seat-Waste-Bag/878325828). As it comes, it's got a strap that you're supposed to fix around the headrest, but I removed that and added a zipper.

Trashbag1_zpszuxxvsi6.jpg

Trashbag2_zpsairohvnx.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few months ago Donny gave me a set of seat covers he wasn't planning to use. I asked for them because I've been wanting to try sewing somw higher style seat covers for the JK and I wanted his seat covers as patterns for my sewing. I've finally got some time to work on this project, so I began by disassembling one of seat bases so the parts can be used as patterns for the new covers. The disassembled seat base (passenger side) is laid out on the floor of my sewing room, the drivers side is on the bench in the background. I only have to disassemble one side for the patterns because the left and right covers are mirror images of each other.

SeatCoverBase1_zpsqyss7dnj.jpg

Also in the photo above, at the right side is the fabric I'll use. I'll make the center panels of the seats out of tan tweed fabric and while I'd like to use leather, for this first set I'll use upholstery vinyl that looks like leather. The goal is something like this:

SeatCoverConcep2t_zpsxlkmpsen.jpg

I drew the concept image over a different seat, the panels of the seat covers I'm using are slightly different, but this image serves to show the color concept.

Zupan

I finally found a JK of my liking, I bought a 2014 JKUR Amp'd full color body, 1 owner, Colorado Jeep, 68,000 miles, put me on the list for a Grill. When do you expect them to hit the streets?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I finally found a JK of my liking, I bought a 2014 JKUR Amp'd full color body, 1 owner, Colorado Jeep, 68,000 miles, put me on the list for a Grill. When do you expect them to hit the streets?
I'm not keeping a list because I'm not going to be involved in selling them, I don't sell anything. But a company has picked up the grille and plans to sell it; what I'm doing right now is testing preproduction prototypes for the company and advising them on manufacturing details.

I don't see why they wouldn't be available very soon, the grille I installed the other day fits very nicely and only needs a few very minor tweaks to be ready for sale. All of the tweaks are in the post molding processes, the mold is ready to go so what's left is only final manufacturing process details.

Zupan

Speaking of grilles, I finished my CL/JL inspired grille for the TJ project today, here's the first one out of the mold...

Grille1Installed1_zpsl5w0gsdi.jpg

Grille1Installed2_zpsondh1zvb.jpg
That is so FREAKING rad! Great work! Do you have to destroy the factory grill to put that skin on? Thanks for the update on the JK grill, I was hoping for some inside info on where I could get one first...HAHAHAHAHAHAH

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That is so FREAKING rad! Great work! Do you have to destroy the factory grill to put that skin on? Thanks for the update on the JK grill, I was hoping for some inside info on where I could get one first...HAHAHAHAHAHAH
Thank you. Since the slots are wider than the factory grille slots, the factory slots need to be removed in order to install this skin, so it's not an installation you would undo. But it's a pretty easy conversion, and low risk - there are lots of factory TJ grilles on Craigslist or in the junkyard and they're very affordable, so it's cost-effective to do the conversion to a grille from one of those sources and swap the converted grille for the factory one on the Jeep, saving the factory one (or selling it once the conversion is done). The one in the photos was installed on a grille I picked up on Craigslist for $50, the front face was damaged so it was cheap but that damage is now covered up :).

About the JK grille, you'll have to wait until the company that's picked them up releases them and announces availability. Should be soon, but they haven't told me their plans for release.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Had some time this morning to make my first attempt at sewing seat covers. So far I've only sewn one seat bottom. I haven't done the attachments yet so it's being held in place with clamps in this photo. It needs a little fine tailoring to perfect the fit but for a first fitting I'm pretty happy with it.

SeatBaseTestFit_zps3dfuzi8b.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been working on some new ideas for the Trail Kitchen. My original design for the kitchen includes several optional tabletops - in the photo below one of the optional tabletops is a sink top and the one next to it (behind the faucet) is a simple small clip-on table.

TrailKitchen1_zpssl6nrpvx.jpg

What I'm working on now is a propane stove which clips on in place of that small tabletop. I've ordered some propane stove parts, most of the parts are due to arrive on Thursday.

A concept image:

Clip-OnStoveConcept1_zps0gw88yh5.jpg

Also part of the design is a wind guard for the stove, it'll look something like this although I haven't decided on the exact dimensions and shape yet. The design of the guard is removable and it folds flat for storage.

Clip-OnStoveConcept2_zpsp5qwebfh.jpg

I'm still working on some ideas for the propane source. For my use, a 1 lb. disposable propane tank is more than sufficient, but a larger refillable tank is probably a good idea too.

I welcome any thoughts you have about the stove design or gas sources.

Bobzdar

Observer
I've been working on some new ideas for the Trail Kitchen. My original design for the kitchen includes several optional tabletops - in the photo below one of the optional tabletops is a sink top and the one next to it (behind the faucet) is a simple small clip-on table.

TrailKitchen1_zpssl6nrpvx.jpg

What I'm working on now is a propane stove which clips on in place of that small tabletop. I've ordered some propane stove parts, most of the parts are due to arrive on Thursday.

A concept image:

Clip-OnStoveConcept1_zps0gw88yh5.jpg

Also part of the design is a wind guard for the stove, it'll look something like this although I haven't decided on the exact dimensions and shape yet. The design of the guard is removable and it folds flat for storage.

Clip-OnStoveConcept2_zpsp5qwebfh.jpg

I'm still working on some ideas for the propane source. For my use, a 1 lb. disposable propane tank is more than sufficient, but a larger refillable tank is probably a good idea too.

I welcome any thoughts you have about the stove design or gas sources.

I'm a fan of coleman style dual fuel stoves so you only have to carry a single fuel source for the vehicle and stove. I prefill the stove with white gas, if I run out I can use gas I bring for the vehicle and just make sure to run white gas through it once the trip is over to keep it clean. Even if you don't carry spare gas for the vehicle I find white gas to last longer than propane, at least in terms of how much space is needed to transport it. Fwiw, if I prefill the stove I'm usually good for 3-4 days of cooking on it without having to add any, but I also bring a swing away grill for cooking on campfires so that extends it another day or two. You could easily use a single burner from a dual burner coleman stove in that spot and, if spaced properly, use the removable tank/generator on the front for storage purposes. Running a single burner with just the fuel it can carry in the generator would probably last a week or so, and then you could use fuel from the jerry can if you ran out (or carry some extra white gas).

Still trying to figure out how to mount the camp kitchen in my gladiator, but haven't needed it yet as I've just been using the tailgate.

edit: I don't want to start a stove style war as there are people that are religious about the type of stove they use - I also have a (1lb) propane adapter for my coleman stoves so can run any fuel available. Propane is a little less work and a little easier to control the flame but less space efficient and doesn't work as well in cold weather in my experience.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm a fan of coleman style dual fuel stoves so you only have to carry a single fuel source for the vehicle and stove. I prefill the stove with white gas, if I run out I can use gas I bring for the vehicle and just make sure to run white gas through it once the trip is over to keep it clean. Even if you don't carry spare gas for the vehicle I find white gas to last longer than propane, at least in terms of how much space is needed to transport it. Fwiw, if I prefill the stove I'm usually good for 3-4 days of cooking on it without having to add any, but I also bring a swing away grill for cooking on campfires so that extends it another day or two. You could easily use a single burner from a dual burner coleman stove in that spot and, if spaced properly, use the removable tank/generator on the front for storage purposes. Running a single burner with just the fuel it can carry in the generator would probably last a week or so, and then you could use fuel from the jerry can if you ran out (or carry some extra white gas).

Still trying to figure out how to mount the camp kitchen in my gladiator, but haven't needed it yet as I've just been using the tailgate.

edit: I don't want to start a stove style war as there are people that are religious about the type of stove they use - I also have a (1lb) propane adapter for my coleman stoves so can run any fuel available. Propane is a little less work and a little easier to control the flame but less space efficient and doesn't work as well in cold weather in my experience.
Thanks for the input, all good to know.

I chose propane for several reasons - first, propane stove components, such as burners, are available for making custom stoves. Second, because propane is available everywhere, tanks are available in several sizes (including throwaway cans for torches in hardware stores) and it fires up easily and works well. But other fuels have good attributes as well as you point out. For the past several years I've been using a small butane stove and it's worked great.

I'm going to build this one as a proof-of-concept prototype and go from there based on what I learn from the prototype. I've got a tentative design for a dual burner stove that attaches in the same place so if the single burner works out well maybe I'll also do a two burner version.

I am interested in exploring different ways to carry propane. As I mentioned in my post, for the amount of cooking I do a 1 lb. disposable propane can from the hardware store is probably good enough, but others who are more serious about cooking will need more. Here's a photo I stole from Donny's instagram, he's got a 5 lb. tank mounted on his Ursa Minor top (he made me drill the holes to mount it :)), it looks like he's fueling both a tabletop stove and his Tembo Tusk from the one tank. Not sure everyone wants to drill holes in their hardtop though, so I'm going to see what other options there are for carrying a 5 lb. tank and what new options I can come up with.

DonnyCooking_zpshwybk0c3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior