Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Decided to see what the tailgate panel looks like in another color so this morning I sewed one in green with brown accents.

TailgatePanelGreen1_zpsopcusdzu.jpg

On the black tailgate I like the green better but on a light colored tailgate maybe I'd like the tan panel better. The first prototype was tan with brown accents:

TailgatePanel3_zps8kybgmlw.jpg

I used Molle bags in the photos because I don't have any cargo bags from the company that are designed to work with the panel.

I'll send one of these to the startup company that's doing the bags so they can use it as a pattern, the other I'll keep here to use as I design and sew prototype cargo bags/attachments to go with it.

What about creating a modular system similar to the Bug Out Rack via your rack system instead of the spare tire?

One could strap a plethora of different gear on their rear... infinite possibilities.20232413_1007250239417207_4652587056697710246_o.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
What about creating a modular system similar to the Bug Out Rack via your rack system instead of the spare tire?

One could strap a plethora of different gear on their rear... infinite possibilities.View attachment 487881
Over the past few years I've experimented with several ways to mount random gear on the tailgate. In these first two photos, I attached a grid to the tailgate hinges. Grids like these could be attached to the arms of the system I'm working on now, replacing the Rotopax mount or jerry can tray. Grids on those arms would allow shovels, jacks and other gear to be attached and the grids could be done so that a Rotopax stud or jerry can/ammo can tray could be attached as well.

30CalJKTailgate_zpsae6rtfgc.jpg

30CalTJTailgate_zpsen4jxvej.jpg

Another idea I experimented with was a rack that hung on the spare but a variation on this could be designed to hang on the arms of the new system instead of the spare.

SaddlePackTestFit1b_zpsc8trbddq.jpg

SaddleHiLiftAndShovel1_zpsalobx3rh.jpg

There are lots of mounts that could be added to the system I'm working on now, yesterday I was thinking a PullPal mount might be a good idea - those are hard to carry and can get very dirty when used and they're also something you don't need to carry to the mall so a mount that goes in this receiver system should work out very well.

If there's a mount for this new system that a lot of people think would be a good idea I can build a prototype.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I really like that rack concept.

Thanks. I completed the prototype and did a bunch of testing with it; it tested very well but there didn't seem to be too much interest in it so I didn't take it any further. I have used it a few times in addition to the testing.

Here's a concept image I did during that project showing how sand ladders could be mounted to it. That idea could translate to the current tailgate receiver project, I could build the arms in such a way that they could hold jerry cans/Rotopax as I've done but they could also have a way to mount sand ladders/Maxtraxx across the rear at the same time.

SaddlePackSandLadders3_zpsq88hzq0z.jpg

Could be something like this:

GateRcvrContainerMaxtraxx_zpsn5lnrjfk.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I made up a quick set of wooden mockup rack mounts for the tailgate cargo receiver project. In these first photos the rack is above the spare, the part of the rack is played by a warped piece of plywood :):

GateRackPOCHigh_zpsiqovxtwt.jpg

The same parts can be installed upside down, inserted into the bottom end of the cargo receivers, to provide for a lower mounting for the rack, a bit like a hitch rack except that this one swings open with the tailgate - cargo doesn't have to be unloaded from the rack in order to open the tailgate:

GateRackPOCLow_zpskbvcizwo.jpg

One use for the lower mounting position would be for a bike rack, the type that cradles the tires:

GateRackPOCBikeTray_zpsiajxqmhf.jpg

There are a few minor details to decide before making these out of metal, but the quick wooden mockups prove the concept and will serve as templates for the metal arms.

Florida Native

I'm working on a new idea for carrying gear and cargo on the tailgate. The design consists of receivers that are attached vertically to the tailgate in front of the spare and carriers for different types of cargo slip into the receivers. You could slip the appropriate carriers in the receivers for the cargo you need to carry on a particular trip, and remove them when you don't need to carry anything.

I've implemented the receivers and the first cargo carrier - a bike rack.

BikeRack2_zpsxza3qdaq.jpg

The receivers are visible in this view; I haven't painted the bike rack parts yet:

BikeRack3_zpsqjwliljs.jpg

The bikes swing with the tailgate:

The receivers without the bike rack:

Rcvrs1_zpscdv0xfzf.jpg

The bike rack is just two pieces which fold in half for easy storage:

BikeRack4_zpssvhqx81s.jpg

Other carriers I'll probably implement are for Rotopax and Jerry cans.

GateRcvrRoto1_zpsgrbvp6vw.jpg

GateRcvrJerry1_zpsgtnnkl4t.jpg

Since each carrier is separate, a Rotopax carrier could be inserted in one side and a jerry can carrier in the other.

I've got some other carrier ideas which I may experiment with after I do the ones above.
That is by far and away the best spare tire mounted bike rack I've ever seen. You are brilliant!

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That is by far and away the best spare tire mounted bike rack I've ever seen. You are brilliant!

-Mike

Thanks, Mike.

I don't claim to be brilliant, but I do claim to be dissatisfied with every bike carrier option on the market for Jeeps. And now I can finally claim have a bike carrier that completely I'm happy with :).

I've got a few more gear carrier ideas for the system and I also need to install cargo receivers on my LJ to accept the bike rack and other gear carriers... I'll post more about this system as I make progress on it.

jeff

Bobzdar

Observer
Over the past few years I've experimented with several ways to mount random gear on the tailgate. In these first two photos, I attached a grid to the tailgate hinges. Grids like these could be attached to the arms of the system I'm working on now, replacing the Rotopax mount or jerry can tray. Grids on those arms would allow shovels, jacks and other gear to be attached and the grids could be done so that a Rotopax stud or jerry can/ammo can tray could be attached as well.

30CalJKTailgate_zpsae6rtfgc.jpg

30CalTJTailgate_zpsen4jxvej.jpg

Another idea I experimented with was a rack that hung on the spare but a variation on this could be designed to hang on the arms of the new system instead of the spare.

SaddlePackTestFit1b_zpsc8trbddq.jpg

SaddleHiLiftAndShovel1_zpsalobx3rh.jpg

There are lots of mounts that could be added to the system I'm working on now, yesterday I was thinking a PullPal mount might be a good idea - those are hard to carry and can get very dirty when used and they're also something you don't need to carry to the mall so a mount that goes in this receiver system should work out very well.

If there's a mount for this new system that a lot of people think would be a good idea I can build a prototype.

There's a spare tire strap mount out there for rotopax, looks like it was a good idea and yours is more versatile. I'm thinking of getting one as it should be the least invasive on my JL with the backup camera etc.

https://www.4wd.com/p/rock-slide-engineering-ez-rack-ac-tr-102s/_/R-FTKV-AC-TR-102S?ecmp=s:google_Rock Slide Engineering_RSEAC-TR-102S_base_US&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&tf=1&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIpeLzhcWd3wIVAR6GCh0VLw4dEAQYAiABEgIp3fD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!7836!3!225676081810!!!g!369386367572!&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpeLzhcWd3wIVAR6GCh0VLw4dEAQYAiABEgIp3fD_BwE

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I sewed a prototype bag for the tailgate panel today. This one is 18" long, but I'm envisioning a range of lengths - 24" could be the longest which would take up the entire panel, then 18", 12", 6" and 4". Any combination of them could be used as long as they add up to a max of 24". Could be a narrower 2" one also, maybe for a single item (flashlight?).

TailgateBag18a_zpsfqg4haca.jpg

TailgateBag18b_zpsnpc5zlne.jpg

I sewed a liner into the bag for a little bit of style :).

TailgateBag18c_zpsdsgsvt1u.jpg

These bags can be used in combination With Molle bags.

TailgateBag18d_zpsbgy4dn2d.jpg

I'll probably sew a smaller one when I get a chance, but I've done enough work now to turn over the bag dimensions to the startup, they can decide on final fabrics, colors, styling and details like buckles vs. snaps, clips, etc. for the closure. A few days ago I turned over the tailgate panel design and the bag attachment design, so my project for them is just about done.

BTW 18" is also the length of the backpack bag I showed over the past weeks hanging off the back of the seat and over my shoulder and wearing as a backpack. The company also plans that bag will have the necessary attachments to hang on the tailgate panel. In this photo the backpack bag is sitting in front of the tailgate because this sample bag doesn't have the necessary attachments for the panel.

TailgateBag18e_zpsnv9tpyas.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Personally, not a fan of the buckles. I would want snaps, or hook & loop fasteners.
I decided to use buckles on this prototype, that's not necessarily what the company will use on the production bags. They follow this thread, so they've heard you :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I haven't molded a barn door in a long time but this weekend I'll be molding one for Donny (rubicon91). Donny's got an Ursa Minor camper top on his Jeep and I think a barn door will be a great enhancement for him. Today I got the molds out of the attic and set up the garage for fiberglass work.

DonnyBarnDoorSetup_zpsyirac9e5.jpg

Donny's Jeep:

2ee88d9c74c5acb1f9499067b9c7b9c0.jpg

Here's a concept drawing I did a while back showing a barn door with an Ursa Minor...

UrsaMinorAwning3_zpsjzxqc07m.jpg

I'll post photos of the molding/assembly process as it happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94