BAD AIM 2003 Z71 Suburban

Lykos

Super Trucker
285/70/17 (32.7" nominal diameter) will probably fit stock. Nice thing about the GMT-800 is that it is super easy/cheap to lift. You can put a very good lift on it for under $400 and do all the work in your driveway** and most of that cost, about $320 of it, is high quality shocks. I used Bilstein 5100's at ~ $80/ea. The rest of the lift parts are stupid cheap. Keys should be around $35, spacers maybe $40 - $50. If you want to opt for new springs in the back that's another $60 or so. I'd go for extended sway bar links, too, that adds another $10 to each corner.
They're great rigs, all things considered. The space can't be beat (see my tag line!) Sounds like you've rebuilt the one major component that is known to be weak (the 4L60 transmission) so you should be good to go for a long time. Welcome to the Mafia! :D

** I say 'do it in your driveway' - unless your keys are rusted in place like mine were. I ended up taking mine to a shop where they charged me about $150 to use a power hammer to knock the old keys loose and install the new ones.

I've taken your post to heart. This is exactly the route I'm taking. Thank you!

thebmrust

Link broke. Should it be fixmygauges.com ?
The typical gmt800 instrument cluster issues started about a month ago. Today I got my new IC from www.fixmydash.com and I'm very pleased! They send you the new dash with a return label and you send them your old dash for core. No driving around without gauges waiting on yours to be fixed!

Lykos

Super Trucker
Hello fellow suburbanites and those who wish they were. It's time once again for story time with Chad and the BAD AIM Suburban.

Tonight we address the issues of that incessant buzzing noise coming from your headliner. Yes you thought they were speakers or maybe even microphones. But, you were WRONG! These little gizmos are temp sensors for the automatic HVAC that many full size GM SUVs are equipped with.

IMG_20180424_202843357.jpg And in your rear...
(lol. I said in your rear.)

IMG_20180424_202829035.jpg

Lykos

Super Trucker
Underneath that little screen is this.
IMG_20180424_202927460.jpg

Funny story. Saturday night I was Ubering. I picked up a burb load of drunks who noticed the buzzing noise. That led to a ten minute conversation about how the NSA has bugged our cars and that OnStar was part of the Patriot Act.
I love uber.

Lykos

Super Trucker
So anyway...

I had these installed in about ten minutes and then realized I should've taken pics for the forum. Apologies. The install is super easy and there's plenty of videos on the Youtubes on how to do it.

Here's what you'll need to do the job.

IMG_20180424_202804567.jpg

That's a T15 torx for the sun visor. An interior trim tool kit. You can use a screwdriver but I splurged a little. A knife. A light. The King of Beers.
And, of course, replacement parts.

Here's the GM part number. I bought off Amazon for $35 a piece.

IMG_20180424_202808821.jpg

The finished product is a nice quiet interior and no more government snooping in my rig!
Damn straight.

Celebratory beer!

IMG_20180424_202935694.jpg

E.J. Webb

I'm running the Cognito lift with the upper arms and there steering kit in the front and 3/4 inch spacer in the back on 285/70/17s.

Attachments

• 0310180933_HDR.jpg
    0310180933_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 72

Lykos

Super Trucker
That's a solid looking rig! How are your stock torsion arms getting along with the lift and the extra weight of the bumper and winch?

I see cognito come up a lot. What exactly do the UCAs do for a lifted roof? Aren't they mainly to save excess wear abs year on the ball joints?

Lykos

Super Trucker
Today's update brought to you by LaGunitas IPA.
IMG_20180429_175028240.jpg

It finally got warm enough in the Commonwealth to use the AC. I was keeping my fingers crossed all would be well. BAD AIM was bought in the dead of winter and I had no idea if the AC works or not.

It kinda half did. While rolling the vents blew frigid air. At a stop they must certainly did not.
First thing I did was cleaned the radiator and condenser. Still no joy.
I checked the fan clutch and it was too loose for my liking. $35 and two IPAs later my tuck sounds like a jet and my AC blows cold.

Tuesday the front windows are being tinted. I'm going 20% with dyed film. I really want ceramic film but it's just too expensive. If you have any experience with ceramic film and can help me justify the cost please let me know!

Middle of May it goes to the body shop for a little rust repair and a new rear bumper.
It also is getting a DEI remote start the week after. I'm probably most excited about the remote start as I am anything else. Weird...
I have BFG 285 70s on the way. As soon as they come in I'll get the keys (ebay) , spacers (ebay), shocks(5100s) and tie rod sleeves(no idea) and give this truck a little elevation.

Stay thirsty my friends!

Chad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior